Eric Deetz

Weekend Thread (11/18-20) | Black Panther 67.3, The Menu 9, The Chosen 8.2, Black Adam 4.5, Ticket 3.2

Looking to me like Chosen pulled away a lot of potential audience for TTP and maybe even Banshees. Those are low, but the rest of the Fri numbers are about where they ought to be (confirming Deadline was low yesterday)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Eeeee wtf happened to Banshees Friday-to-friday drop? That's a terrible increase from yesterday...

It lost a number of theaters and last Friday was inflated due to Veteran's Day.

Bones and All is looking at a $28K PTA from 5 theaters according to Hollywood Reporter. Seems ok I guess.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

It is refreshing that, not counting 2020, this is gonna be the first year since 2017 that a Marvel film won’t be number 1 or 2 at the domestic box office. 

Can’t say non-Disney film though.

Same. We are due variety in yearly #1's. It's also super satisfying that current #1 that is very likely going to remain #1 dom was the unlikeliest one to pull it off. Talk about a comeback, stars lining up, underdog story, shocker of the decade, etc. 

So with the success of the Chosen and Andor apparently airing on ABC to goose ratings (in the same way Paramount used CBS to boost awareness of Star Trek Discovery), I have to wonder why we're not seeing mainstream companies trying to use theatrical to attract interest to streaming shows. 

Sherlock had a big 2016 special that made a couple of million, Clone Wars seems to have been successful, early Pokemon movies put up insane numbers, anime spinoffs/continuations been a solid post-pandemic thing and there were a raft of sneakily massive "Disney channel tv shows turned into movies."  

Did Inhumans do so badly as to kill off this idea? If you're paying enough on some of these tv tentpoles to be equivalent to a mid budget theatrical film, why not attract attention with paired down theatrical release? 

11 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Honestly, $500-600M is barely over flop territory for most blockbusters, even when we're talking about 5 years ago. GOTG is modestly popular stateside but rather weak overseas. GOTG2 made 863M out of 389M DOM and 470M OS; losing China + Russia and dropping in many OS markets (oh it will) already shave at least 150M off that total. I'm not saying that it cannot get to 500M domestic to make up for the OS loss but "easily" is definitely not the word to use.

Captain Marvel was Endgame-powered the same way Black Panther was Infinity War-powered, without its quality and cultural impact. As we are seeing Wakanda Forever may struggle to 850-900M, The Marvels will have a hard time getting anywhere close to that.

That's a great point. I honestly think we need to see the reception of these films and how they are received by critics/audiences before making any assumptions. If it gets Love and Thunder or Eternals style reviews, The Marvels will struggle to pass 750M imo