Eric the Minion

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

3 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Verified Score started at 90% with less than 50 votes, then it went up to 91% with 50+, and now it sits at 92% with 100+

RT updates the scores at 50, 100, 500, 1k, 2.5k, 5k, 10k, 25k and 50k votes

If it keeps following the same trend, this means... 

99% with 50k votes!!!

Damn I was joking but it's really rising with every update.

It's now at 96% with 500+ votes

1 hour ago, Cap said:

• Costuming for 80s street gangs/kids never fails to make me laaaaaaugh. Oh, no, they are wearing knock off Vivienne Westwood, they must be bad!
  • Wait. Is that Bill Paxton? AAAAH 😍😆
  • New dude is super genetic looking
  • Where is Linda Hamilton!!!!!??
  • HAAAAAIIIIBGIRL
  • Oh, yay, guns. Guns solve everything.
  • So impressive with Arnold. They are using his weakness to their advantage and letting his persona dominate. Kind of magnetic to watch.
  • damn smooth transition to that flashback. Almost thought I missed something.
  • okaybwe get it. Generic dude  has ptsd. Where is Sarah??,
  • We need to bring back 80s hair. The height. The fire hazards of that Hairspray. 

why does this read like it’s the first time you’ve seen Terminator…surely, not?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I will not stand for this Michael Biehn disrespect, @Cap. 🧐

I’m gonna be very honest. I fell asleep when they got in the car together. So I need to start watching everything again. It just felt like an endless car chase, and not like a good Bullitt car chase, just like we’re driving around Los Angeles in circles.

19 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

why does this read like it’s the first time you’ve seen Terminator…surely, not?

Oh, no, it is. As I said before, I don’t think I’ve seen that movie in like 15 years. I’m basically watching it with fresh eyes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

• Costuming for 80s street gangs/kids never fails to make me laaaaaaugh. Oh, no, they are wearing knock off Vivienne Westwood, they must be bad!
  • Wait. Is that Bill Paxton? AAAAH 😍😆
  • New dude is super genetic looking
  • Where is Linda Hamilton!!!!!??
  • HAAAAAIIIIBGIRL
  • Oh, yay, guns. Guns solve everything.
  • So impressive with Arnold. They are using his weakness to their advantage and letting his persona dominate. Kind of magnetic to watch.
  • damn smooth transition to that flashback. Almost thought I missed something.
  • okaybwe get it. Generic dude  has ptsd. Where is Sarah??,
  • We need to bring back 80s hair. The height. The fire hazards of that Hairspray. 

Okay let’s get back to this—

• “I am gonna stay in a public palace, I feel safer” — if only we all felt that way
  • And, NeverMind, spoke too soon
  • Yay! Techno babble exposition 
  • YES GIRL. BITE HIM. GET AWAY FROM THE CRAZY MAN!!!  
  • Got to hand it to Gale Anne Hurd, she called that the The Internet is gonna kill us in the 1980s
  • Even if I don’t think that’s how nuclear fall out works
  • @Plain Old Tele Oh, look, a woman who is only important for her child bearing skills 🙃
  • Thank you, we are out of the car. Finally.
  • I totally get why the sequel was like “What if we make this all about Arnold” 
  • I looooooove the criminal psychologist. What bed side manner 🤣
  • LOL “probably on PCP”. 
  • HE SAID THE THING! 

3 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

TvfLikq.png

Read the blurb; as far as I understand theres nothing particularily wrong with the story, and it isnt any worse than those of other blockbusters; the movie is only a day old and im pretty sure the GA already believes the story sucks, lackluster might not mean bad, but thats how people will ready that.

That has to be really deadly. 

Its almost unfair hows it been treated, not even JWD, with its 38 on MC got its story called out in the main blurb

Ignore the fact that 2 weeks ago I was on the 3 billion train, the way things around going, I would be overjoyed with 2 billion (and could find a way to cope with 1.5 billion)

I know im being a bit exhausting, but its been 13 years and its only in this final week that things began to go wrong

The story in the first sucked, but it still raked in the dough.

1 hour ago, AnDr3s said:

Mr cameron come on

Wonder if he's going to try and turn A3 into 3-5, then the originally planned 4 and 5 will become 6&7. He might be worried A2 coming in below expectations will get sequels canned or have execs breathing down his neck, so he'll entice them with 3 films for the price of 1, and that'll get the studio on board, and off his back, for the OG 4&5.

Just got back from my showing. My thoughts?

Even if you don’t like giant holes in the ground, you should still see the Grand Canyon.

Even if you don’t like subpar writing, you should still see Avatar 2.

Edit:

Oh yeah, box office! I think this is going to have very broad appeal & very little competition. If China still existed as a box office market, I think it would flirt with the original’s first run. Absent China, O/U = Titanic w/re-releases?

Edited by LinksterAC

Re: the economy, it’s interesting that the cinema used to do well when times were tough as it was seen as cheap entertainment. I can’t speak for everywhere, but in the uk there’s no one who still thinks that’s true. It’s a borderline frivolous luxury now, no doubt in part because streaming is the alternative.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1