Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Standard numbers

Th 17M

F 43M

St 52M

Sn 42M - 154M OW

M 21M

T 22M

W 19M

Th 20M

F 28M

St 20M

Sn 34M - 82M 2ND WEEKEND / 318M 10 DAYS

M 35M

T 28M

W 25M

Th 22M

F 27M

St 19M

Sn 24M - 71M 3rd WEEKEND / 498M AFTER 17 DAYS

At the same time

Rogue One had grossed 424M after 49M third weekend.

Avatar, 352M after 68M third weekend.

5 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Looking like China and Japan will be a huge disappointment. Can this reach 2 billion with disappointing start in all markets.

How could you possibly say it's disappointing in ALL markets? I do not know what your agenda is, but this is getting tired. Even the numbers in China should be welcomed, all things considered.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

How could you possibly say it's disappointing in ALL markets? I do not know what your agenda is, but this is getting tired. Even the numbers in China should be welcomed, all things considered.

Take a look at the overseas thread. Just reporting the facts.

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Dude, just STOP. It's flopping in China. fact. I agree, everything there is gravy, but that shouldn't cloud the sheer facts. Numbers so are are underwhelming, but nothing to worry about where WoM is good, because it's going to have nice drops during the holidays.  China WoM not great, so don't expect miracles there.

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Dude, just STOP. It's flopping in China. fact. I agree, everything there is gravy, but that shouldn't cloud the sheer facts. Numbers so are are underwhelming, but nothing to worry about where WoM is good, because it's going to have nice drops during the holidays.  China WoM not great, so don't expect miracles there.

The first one did 200 M plus. Anything bigger than that is a win considering the current situation. The tracking services there say the range is 315 M to 415 M for the total. And that is flopping? We do not even have clear numbers for the weekend.

Edited by kayumanggi

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

How is the issue with China the WoM ?. It has great ratings compared to most well performing blockbusters in all sites 

18 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

China WoM not great, so don't expect miracles there.

8.5/9.2/9.3 on Douban/Tiapaopao/Maoyan - you are saying it's bad?

I understand that Chinese numbers can become weak due to current covid situation and citizens restrain themselves to going to closed packed places like cinemas now but that's other thing.

This is all playing out like Titanic and Avatar did. Tons of buzz up to the release. Underwhelming opening weekend, whispers of flop. Then the movie never leaves the theaters for 5 months. The releases this holiday are not strong nor in Jan. This will rule for two months straight. Avatar will be king until ant man comes out.

• Like 2

What if… what if this legs it out because of 3D/PLF sessions being the priority? 
People KNOW that it’s about the experience and they know that Avatar is about the screen, about 3D and experience, so what if limited 3D availability + less of a desire to see in 2D is causing lower numbers in the first instance?

• Like 1