Eric Quinn

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

I have no issue with people overtly stanning for a movie or franchise but maybe check the dates genius before you so overconfidently condescend.

Nah, if Eric had a different name back then, then I don’t remember. And it says a lot that I remember Thanos Legion and whoever this new admin is. I didn’t gratuitously attacked anyone. I didn’t went out of my way to play a smart ass here. We are more than ten years after The Avengers. The MCU is doing a massive job keeping movie theaters alive and I’m thankful for that, yes, but I just intervened on the thread to speculate what I believe will be the biggest film since Endgame, and I repeat: Secret Wars is what will come for Endgame. You all can quote me on that.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Solid number. I have no idea why people were making such crazy predictions for this. 

Thats a way to undermine 1000 pages worth of analysis by mostly 3 people in 1 thread why 3 Billion is the floor for this movie.

• Haha 5

So, one interesting element now that we have a sense of where Avatar will end up, is that the domestic box office for December 2022 is going to fall short of December 2021 (and probably by a pretty wide margin). That's going to be 3 of the last four months that the current year is worse than the same month last year.

I'm not confident that January is going to be much better either. It's a pretty worrisome trend, as I'm pretty sure a year ago the feeling was that we'd be getting better and not worse.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The dude has been holding down the fort in the main thread for the best part of a decade, against all doubters, but NOW the negativity is too much?

The negativity is too much now because it's real :Venom:

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Thanos Legion was a regular here before you were here, Junior. It’s the biggest film franchise in planet Earth and rightfully so. Good luck keeping movie theaters lights on without them.

Objectively not true. Literally one click on my profile shows I have been here since 2014 and I have regularly posted since 2016. Click on his profile and it says he joined in 2018. So this doesn't work.

I'm sorry for being harsh and mean in my observation, but this does not give you the right whatsoever to condescend and disrespect the staff. Do this kind of disrespectful nonsense again and you will be threadbanned. Your choice.

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I think it's perfectly fine to take a break if the numbers are getting you down honestly, I do that on occasion. 

Yes can never forget how depressing it was last year when spiderman came out. Very tough time to be a fan of movies

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, vafrow said:

So, one interesting element now that we have a sense of where Avatar will end up, is that the domestic box office for December 2022 is going to fall short of December 2021 (and probably by a pretty wide margin). That's going to be 3 of the last four months that the current year is worse than the same month last year.

I'm not confident that January is going to be much better either. It's a pretty worrisome trend, as I'm pretty sure a year ago the feeling was that we'd be getting better and not worse.

I think we will have a better picture in the upcoming years. I do think that Wakanda Forever is a better film than had any right to be with literally everything going against it, and it’s doing great at the box office. Not as big as Black Panther? Sure, but I agree with Kermode when he says that it’s one MCU film that got the right to be called heartfelt. I don’t like Cruise but Maverick is an undeniable box office success, and all of this less than one year after No Way Home. 

Franchises will still be needed for blockbusters - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Harry Potter and even Avatar - and the big wild numbers, but that’s part of the fun. Next year I think Guardians Vol. 3 is the one to watch, but everything else would benefit of China opening their market again. Here is hoping it sticks.