Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Legs better be out of this world for it. 

Some whore told me that it might not hit 35m total in Japan? PLEASE.

That's not in the realm of impossibility imo, just look at those numbers from Japan. Theaters are already cutting the seats from Avatar for Sunday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GipJo said:

That's not in the realm of impossibility imo, just look at those numbers from Japan. Theaters are already cutting the seats from Avatar for Sunday.

Didn't see...just scrolled this thread for a few minutes...hard to believe numbers are this disappointing.

10 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Legs better be out of this world for it. 

Some whore told me that it might not hit 35m total in Japan? PLEASE.

Yeah japan is the major underperformer for this. Looks good/great just about everywhere but Japan performance is just bad. Opening will probably be around the same as 1st one (600Mish weekend plus 180M OD or so), but sequels usually can't leg out well in JP so this opening is not it. We will see how it does over the holidays I guess(it will probably depend on how kind theaters are on keeping it on the premiums - they might as well take away almost every regular screen at this point since its doing so poorly outside the premiums anyway), but considering slam dunk and suzume are still doing strong numbers, I think even making 5b will be a struggle (which sounds about right for 35M since the yen has collapsed).

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah japan is the major underperformer for this. Looks good/great just about everywhere but Japan performance is just bad. Opening will probably be around the same as 1st one (600Mish weekend plus 180M OD or so), but sequels usually can't leg out well in JP so this opening is not it. We will see how it does over the holidays I guess(it will probably depend on how kind theaters are on keeping it on the premiums - they might as well take away almost every regular screen at this point since its doing so poorly outside the premiums anyway), but considering slam dunk and suzume are still doing strong numbers, I think even making 5b will be a struggle (which sounds about right for 35M since the yen has collapsed).

Mega competition from Slam Dunk and Suzume definitely aren't helping it, they are much more anticipated titles in Japan

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Mega competition from Slam Dunk and Suzume definitely aren't helping it, they are much more anticipated titles in Japan

Yeah, Japan is kind of a unique situation in that the film is facing strong competition - it could have been a good idea to delay it in a similar vein as No Way Home running away from JJK last year. It still *could* leg out well over the holidays as long as it keeps some premium screens, and since it's basically selling this skewed towards premiums (imax 3d mostly but also 4dx 3d, dolby 3d) the atp will be outrageously high partially making up for low admissions.

Either way, Japan really did not show up well for this.

Edited by JustLurking

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

A 140/560 domestic run would've been seen as a huge win two months ago,

By who? Lol

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

a higher gross retention than the followups to the other highest grossers of all time (Force Awakens, Black Panther, Avengers) had...

Hmm wonder if anything interesting is different about the real gross for those vs this 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Valorant.

Valorant is a great video game. Give me a series, Netflix. I don’t want LoL, I want Valorant.

Arcane is the best video game adaptation to date, so people want LoL and rightfully so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My showing just went into intermission.

:ohmygod::insane::sarah::ohmyzod:

Holy fuck. That was legitimately incredible. And I'm only halfway through! Who knows what the rest of the movie holds? My IMAX glasses unfortunately didn't work for my vanilla 3D screening, but the regular ones I got from the Avatar re-release did. Great stuff!

8 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Arcane is the best video game adaptation to date, so people want LoL and rightfully so.

Feels kind of strange to even call Arcane a video game adaptation when all it actually does is borrow characters and lore elements (which are heavily changed anyway) as the game itself has no actual story, but it's an extraordinary series either way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

Let's look at some recent 2010s December era blockbusters' multis with good WOM which opened above 100 million-

TFA-3.78

Rogue One-3.43

NWH-3.1

Now let's just say for argument's sake Avatar 2 opens to 135 and apply those multis, it doesn't even get to 500 with those. Now I think it WILL pass 500 but if we were to purely go by recent history it getting close to 600 would be tough. That isn't to say it won't happen or can't happen, it could easily surprise, but going by recent history it's just not some sure bet.

EDIT: Oops with TFA's multi it gets to over 500, that's the scenario which I find the most realistic personally

aquaman got a 5x 

there's less difference between aquaman and A2 than between A2 and TFA or NWH

of those three the only valid comp is rogue one

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Feels kind of strange to even call Arcane a video game adaptation when all it actually does is borrow characters and lore elements (which are heavily changed anyway) as the game itself has no actual story, but it's an extraordinary series either way.

No one said daptations have to borrow a whole story, I can even say it's one of the reason why many adaptations have failed, because they don't have the guts to change the story to fit a cinema narrative when they needed to instead of copy-pasting the original story to ''please the fans''.

4 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

aquaman got a 5x 

there's less difference between aquaman and A2 than between A2 and TFA or NWH

of those three the only valid comp is rogue one

Aquaman opened to under 100 million.

• Like 1