Eric Furiosa

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

6 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

My bias from the series is that it will definitely not be the good Hollywood anime adaptation.

I feel like psycho pass should be crackable. Baccano maybe 

I've been thinking about anime adaptations and honestly, I think most fans don't want them. Just today I looked at comments on a tweet about a live action My Hero movie and people were flaming it. I know it's just twitter but the list of bad Hollywood anime adaptations is novel length. We will have an anime movie make 700 million one day, I think it'll take one more generation as long as people still go to the theaters. 300 from Japan is doable if the movie is excellent. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I mean it's the same as BPWF. let's see where we are on boxing day

You're right. I'm not crazy about the possible opening weekend, there must be a lagging demographic. It's not gonna flop but this movie needs to make up serious money due to Japan and China's situations. If it doesn't do 600 domestic this might be a photo finish with Top Gun. 

1 minute ago, Cap said:

YES!! Power back on! We about to start T2 (will post thoughts after redroast has finished.)

I almost thought about doing his filmography in release order, but I think I want to do Terminator/T2 back to back.  Also, The Abyss is my favorite, so I’m kind of holding off on that ass like the ace at my sleeve. 

I'm going to bed I'll finish the film in the moring

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Does Avatar/Cameron not have that? Not saying this will be the same kind of frontloaded, but who's rushing out to see Avatar 2, if not those devoted?

But the level of frontload here is nothing in comparing to superhero movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, Issac Newton said:

With declining population+terrible ER it's getting tougher and tougher each day. 

Yeah the population part is the biggest problem. Forget movies, kids are gonna have to work forever.  I think they'll fix it one day though. At least, I hope. I really love Japan. 

13 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

My bias from the series is that it will definitely not be the good Hollywood anime adaptation.

I feel like psycho pass should be crackable. Baccano maybe 

I'd be so down for a Baccano adaption, if only for the period aspects. Would be really cool to see.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

But we don't know that yet. I assume it won't be as frontloaded, but this also uncharted territory for Cameron.

Through this AM, box office analytics corp EntTelligence reports that the preview night and opening day of Avatar 2 represent only 53% sales are for opening weekend, “which is a very good thing,” reports the org.  

“It means that this movie is not front loaded with steep box office drops.  By way of comparison, a superhero movie often has 70+% of PreSales in for Preview Night/Opening Day.  Lower than 70% is a strong indicator of success.   53% eclipses that benchmark,” reports EntTelligence.

Another indicator that Avatar 2 is not frontloaded: 23% of all presales are for after opening weekend.  The film’s subsequent days of release, after opening weekend, are doing better than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

I've been thinking about anime adaptations and honestly, I think most fans don't want them. Just today I looked at comments on a tweet about a live action My Hero movie and people were flaming it. I know it's just twitter but the list of bad Hollywood anime adaptations is novel length. We will have an anime movie make 700 million one day, I think it'll take one more generation as long as people still go to the theaters. 300 from Japan is doable if the movie is excellent. 

There has been one (1) film to have made 300 from Japan and it was the biggest phenomenom of all time in the country. I doubt Japan ever sees one again to be honest.

4 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I'd be so down for a Baccano adaption, if only for the period aspects. Would be really cool to see.   

There's a lot of books to adapt beyond what the single cour covered as well. 

6 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

More interested in possible game adaptations rather than anime

Then again, the games I'd be down for adaptations would work better as TV shows lol

I said several times that I think videogames adaptions will be the next big thing and it seems they are starting to be decent/good

I'm not really interested in anime adaptations because I think it's stupid to make adaptions on the same medium than the original work

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 1

There were about a dozen people at my 3:00 pm showing today but with school in session, that's not surprising. A hefty Saturday increase and strong holds are coming as this film will play very well to families and people with a lot of free time on their hands over the holidays.

The movie is a visual masterpiece and earns its ticket price for that alone, even if the writing is cringey and predictable at times.  That being said, those whales were all that was needed to enlist audience members in the fight alongside Jake.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

I said several times that I think videogames adaptions will be the next big thing and it seems they are starting to be decent/good

I'm not really interested in anime adaptations because I think it's stupid to make adaptions of the same medium.

Boy you did not just tell me that anime and movies are the same medium 😤

Anyway should really be adapting the manga/VN/ln/wn, so there

18 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Through this AM, box office analytics corp EntTelligence reports that the preview night and opening day of Avatar 2 represent only 53% sales are for opening weekend, “which is a very good thing,” reports the org.  

“It means that this movie is not front loaded with steep box office drops.  By way of comparison, a superhero movie often has 70+% of PreSales in for Preview Night/Opening Day.  Lower than 70% is a strong indicator of success.   53% eclipses that benchmark,” reports EntTelligence.

Another indicator that Avatar 2 is not frontloaded: 23% of all presales are for after opening weekend.  The film’s subsequent days of release, after opening weekend, are doing better than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

What was NWH number and is it not considered  "good"?

There's souch wrong in this article... And yet, if they had used the right 2021 atp, the modeled avatar 2 opening based on James Cameron openings would have been 131 🧐

https://m.the-numbers.com/news/253230830-Weekend-predictions-Avatar-eyeing-170-million-opening

Edited by Korra Legion

13 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I'm not really interested in anime adaptations because I think it's stupid to make adaptions on the same medium than the original work

Death Stranding hitting 3 billies