Eric Quinn

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

7 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Since we are talking Spider-Man (famously almost made by Cameron and played by DiCaprio before thank god they didn’t get that awful script made back in the 90s), 

So why it was awful? The script wasn't even written, only treatment before it was cancelled because of rights issues and Carolco bankruptcy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GipJo said:

No Way Home is one of the worst movies from Marvel. I'm surprised how people could be so blind by all those nostalgia. It was horrible movie that didn't even feel like a movie. It tells no story with no real character with no emotion weight (other than blindly emotional just because woohoo three spidermans on the same screen melikey).

LMAO 

a3aVXzC.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Will never understand why anyone would ever want a 'loud' crowd during the film. Have never had one over here and it would just ruin the film for me.

It’s like watching a sporting event in a crowded bar vs at home. A gain in experience/shared reaction vs a loss in being able to absorb all of the content 

4 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Top craziest crowds I’ve ever been - and I absolutely love that:

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Spider-Man: No Way Home

3. Captain America: Civil War

4. The Avengers

5. Black Panther

6. The Dark Knight

7. Spider-Man

If you don’t understand this, I don’t know what to say to you:

IW and especially Endgame was insane theatre experience. So I was very glad I went to see no way home in theatres everyone was screaming at the  top of their lungs including myself. It was simply an amazing experience :)

• Like 2

Just now, Nero said:

IW and especially Endgame was insane theatre experience. So I was very glad I went to see no way home in theatres everyone was screaming at the  top of their lungs including myself. It was simply an amazing experience :)

We lost movie theaters for almost two years. No Way Home was such a surreal experience. I wholeheartedly agree.

4 minutes ago, GipJo said:

No Way Home is one of the worst movies from Marvel. I'm surprised how people could be so blind by all those nostalgia. It was horrible movie that didn't even feel like a movie. It tells no story with no real character with no emotion weight (other than blindly emotional just because woohoo three spidermans on the same screen melikey).

Agree.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

The reaction when Tobey arrived..... People were Jumping from seats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, M37 said:

It’s like watching a sporting event in a crowded bar vs at home. A gain in experience/shared reaction vs a loss in being able to absorb all of the content 

Yeah but like, I show up to theaters because I love movies. I want the content. I don't give a fuck what other people are thinking about the film until the credits start playing - then sure, clap, scream, do whatever.

Watching a sports game does not require you to immerse yourself in the picture, nor does it matter if you can't hear the sound etc. so not really the same thing. The actual "loss in content" from crowds in sport events is minimal, while in films it is huge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

So why it was awful? The script wasn't even written, only treatment before it was cancelled because of rights issues and Carolco bankruptcy.

I mean have you read that treatment and how Mary Jane was the absolutely the worst and how much of an incel in the making Peter was depicted? 

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/spider-man/james-cameron-spider-man-movie

It’s well documented. For all my historical grievances with Sam Raimi and mostly Avi Arad, we avoided a bullet here. 

8 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Top craziest crowds I’ve ever been - and I absolutely love that:

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Spider-Man: No Way Home

3. Captain America: Civil War

4. The Avengers

5. Black Panther

6. The Dark Knight

7. Spider-Man

If you don’t understand this, I don’t know what to say to you:

Independence Day was the craziest crowd I’ve been a part of in a theatre. People lost their minds at several points. 

7 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

The incredibles to incredibles 2 was 14 year wait between sequels. Incredibles 2 opened to 182 million 

bigger than wait between than avatar to avatar 2 

incredibles is the goat 🐐 

People were eagerly waiting for incredibles 2. They were literally asking for the sequel not the same case with avatar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah but like, I show up to theaters because I love movies. I want the content. I don't give a fuck what other people are thinking about the film until the credits start playing - then sure, clap, scream, do whatever.

Watching a sports game does not require you to immerse yourself in the picture, nor does it matter if you can't hear the sound etc. so not really the same thing. The actual "loss in content" from crowds in sport events is minimal, while in films it is huge.

You can always re-watch a movie if you missed something 

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Independence Day was the craziest crowd I’ve been a part of in a theatre. People lost their minds at several points. 

I do remember that too. Also a lot of people kissing and crying during Titanic. In fact Titanic was arguably the best and loudest crowd from a Cameron film to date. I was too young to watch T2 at a movie theater so I wouldn’t know how that went. Still my fav Cameron film.

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's Time!!!! 

Time for Football

Lets go MESSIIII!!!!!

Y E S.

Lionel Messi Win GIF by FIFA

Edited by Alligator Zatt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I specifically used the analogy of watching at a bar (not live) where it’s still the TV broadcast and sound does matter. Like a celebration erupting over a TD catch where you miss the announcers pointing out the flag or that the QB is writhing on the ground in pain. Yeah, you’ll probably figure it out in due time, but there’s still a loss in that moment 

(Not being critical of your preference, just saying there’s appetite for both options)

23 minutes ago, Nero said:

IW and especially Endgame was insane theatre experience.

I can’t believe I am enabling this but…

Endgame was so special. My Bestie and I met up in NYC to see it together. I will never forget our first showing. When it got to Portals/Avengers Assemble line up, I was muttering under my breath “say it.”  Then suddenly some guy in the back is screaming “SAY IT”. Next thing you know the whole place is basically chanting. You could HEAR “Assemble” it was so loud when the cheers erupted 

Magic. 

Cinemas are so awesome. I love seeing movies with people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, M37 said:

I specifically used the analogy of watching at a bar (not live) where it’s still the TV broadcast and sound does matter. Like a celebration erupting over a TD catch where you miss the announcers pointing out the flag or that the QB is writhing on the ground in pain. Yeah, you’ll probably figure it out in due time, but there’s still a loss in that moment 

(Not being critical of your preference, just saying there’s appetite for both options)

Precisely. I have built an absurd home theater system thanks to COVID. If I wanted peace, safe and quiet I’d stay at home, Netflix and chill and etc. And there are moods for both. I still maintain the tradition of repeated viewings for all my MCU favs, but this time at home. The director’s cut of No Way Home is amazing btw.

• Like 1