Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

12 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Same Cinemascore, but if we had more granular data like PostTrak and verified audience score for Avatar 1 I'd bet it was noticeably under. Korea CGV egg shows a pretty clear difference. 

Sure, it's probably a bit below. But below one of the intially best recieved movies of all time is still very good I'd say. And certainly not a reason why it would go from having insane legs to merely mediocre legs. There will be something more to it. It's the same as Black Panther - the issue isn't that the people who has seen it didn't generally like/really like it, the issue is that, right now, the franchise just isn't as popular as it was when the first one premiered.

13 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Sure, it's probably a bit below. But below one of the intially best recieved movies of all time is still very good I'd say. And certainly not a reason why it would go from having insane legs to merely mediocre legs. There will be something more to it. It's the same as Black Panther - the issue isn't that the people who has seen it didn't generally like/really like it, the issue is that, right now, the franchise just isn't as popular as it was when the first one premiered.

That’s not the same as Black Panther. Chadwick Boseman’s untimely passing + the complete moronic and absurd campaign ran by idiots for a T’Challa recast didn’t help it either. Letitia Wright is a brilliant actor that has expressed some awful views and we are still going through a pandemic. Very subdued, but still. 

Spoiler

I’m certain that the next Black Panther that features the rise of T’Challa will surpass the first. Wakanda Forever is an eulogy, an wake in shape of a superhero fim, it’s a somber film with a female lead and the unfortunate absence of one of the most important characters in the Marvel Universe. The solution for the world to still have a T’Challa around as the Black Panther was absolutely flawless.

Edited by ZattMurdock

40 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

IS A2 >>>>>> Better than EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE IN 2022 like A1 >>>>>> EVERYTHING ELSE OUT IN 2009?

The cold hard truth is that no, it is not. More to that, we have top notch video effects today for all types of flavors. I still get an uncanny valley feeling from the world of Avatar, even more so the underwater scenes. They look too bright, too much unreal despite me being able to see how much money it was put into the production, my brain still tells me that this isn’t real. 

I don't know if it's the cold hard truth (that's up to the audience to decide in aggregate, I suppose), but I do respect that it's an opinion that differs significantly from my own.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s not the same as Black Panther.

I'm not saying it's the same but if Avatar also has mediocre legs they certainly share a few similarities in terms of box office expectations vs actual performance.

Why did Avatar's opening weekend dissapoint? It certainly cannot have been because of mediocre reviews as it has virtually the same score on RT as the first(which I would wagers is what most would use). Sure, one might say that it underperformed because of high demand on PLF/IMAX, but if so it should have good to great legs. All I'm saying is that if it does end up with mediocre legs as well, that would say a lot about how the general perception of the first has changed over the years.

Edited by Dale Cooper

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Video games as an argument for people not caring about A2 in theaters seems… odd? And I am in the middle of Ragnarok…

It's not about people not caring about A2, it's that the competition for eyes is a lot more competitive now then it was in 09.

21 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

I'm not saying it's the same but if Avatar also has mediocre legs they certainly share a few similarities in terms of box office expectations vs actual performance.

Why did Avatar's opening weekend dissapoint? It certainly cannot have been because of mediocre reviews as it has virtually the same score on RT as the first(which I would wagers is what most would use). Sure, one might say that it underperformed because of high demand on PLF/IMAX, but if so it should have good to great legs. All I'm saying is that if it does end up with mediocre legs as well, that would say a lot about how the general perception of the first has changed over the years.

One thing I will say here that could be a deterrent for A2 is RT didn’t carry the same weight in 09 as today. Lots of the GA dismissed it and it was more of “nerdy” thing to care about, opposed to super mainstream like the last decade or so. 

All that aside, I have thought for years A2 would never have a big OW and would be all about whatever the WOM is, much like the first. Too much space in between for such a huge OW, and not enough “defining a generation” type of nostalgia. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

One thing I will say here that could be a deterrent for A2 is RT didn’t carry the same weight in 09 as today. Lots of the GA dismissed it and it was more of “nerdy” thing to care about, opposed to super mainstream like the last decade or so. 

All that aside, I have thought for years A2 would never have a big OW and would be all about whatever the WOM is, much like the first. Too much space in between for such a huge OW, and not enough “defining a generation” type of nostalgia. 

They might have done so, but if they care now they will se that it has got a similar score to the first one, so I can't see that that would be a problem.

In theory I agree that one shouldn't have expected A2 to have a very big OW. But still, it probably only have about 20% bigger audience in, well, 20% more theatres. It certainly could have done more than that.

Just look at TGM… all of that insane pre-release reception and hype couldn’t generate an OW even as big as A2’s in prime summer opening real estate. 

First sequels decades later aren’t going to break opening records. Not sure why that would be surprising? It is why it’s surprising some of the tracking was saying 200ish, but was obviously very wrong. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Just look at TGM… all of that insane pre-release reception and hype couldn’t generate an OW even as big as A2’s in prime summer opening real estate. 

First sequels decades later aren’t going to break opening records. Not sure why that would be surprising? It is why it’s surprising some of the tracking was saying 200ish, but was obviously very wrong. 

TGM's hype didn't really build until the RT reviews which were a few weeks before it came out. For a while a lot of people thought TGM would flop. The comparison of expectations is super different

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Someone should resurrect the OW thread for A1. Would love to see it. Was it still BOM back then? 

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?s=1243653ea2d9c71a37ca3c7bc1e868a4&t=125374&page=2

best I can do is that

I tried to copy-paste a few comments from that thread in here but I think no one caught on

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Thanks 1

Been lurking for the last week, kinda lost interest after our lord and savior Top Gun, 4x seems reasonable, rn I'd say guidance is 550-650m (I feel like over RO's 532m seems pretty assured given reception), I will say though I don't think A2 will pass TGM by that much overseas, in fact I'm gonna take the under on TGM WW-C atm, currently projecting 1.5-1.6B WW, 630m DOM

Edited by Cheddar Please