Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

years of Marvel movies largely performing well on opening weekend and then cratering afterwards has really damaged how people talk about big movies like this. like the expectation is instant gratification for *everything* regardless of a movie’s circumstances. thankfully Avatar is gonna have holiday legs and 10 weeks of practically no competition and then we can laugh about some of the absurd doomposting that i read for the last 10+ pages

If you don’t understand that it’s not about "Marvel movies" but the current world landscape and that films aren’t released in a vacuum, then you will only set yourself and others for disappointment. Frontloadness and FOMO are just something that happens in our current cultural landscape. But sure, don’t let me stop you. Poor Avatar 2 will make $1B+, something just another film was capable this year. The end is nigh indeed.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

years of Marvel movies largely performing well on opening weekend and then cratering afterwards has really damaged how people talk about big movies like this. like the expectation is instant gratification for *everything* regardless of a movie’s circumstances. thankfully Avatar is gonna have holiday legs and 10 weeks of practically no competition and then we can laugh about some of the absurd doomposting that i read for the last 10+ pages

I guess Top Gun 2 happened in 2008. It's posts like this that makes some CBM fans angry. Stop gaslighting.

9 minutes ago, Firepower said:

No, it's a silly excuse at this point, unless you are talking about current China situation.

thats that they are talking about yeah and for China its anything but an excuse for the massive (highest in the globe) underperformance. The major reason more like it. Its quite well documented and corraborated at this point and losing like $250m just from that is a huge blow. And its not like you can say "China was gonna be like this anyway" cause whats happening is very specific for these weeks and the and the situation came out of nowhere even for Chinese citizens. So Avatar arguably got released in the worst situation of the pandemic period there post initial lockdowns

Edited by Gkalaitza

1 minute ago, Gkalaitza said:

thats that they are talking about yeah and for China its anything but an excuse for the massive (highest in the globe) underperformance. The major reason more like it. Its quite well documented and corraborated at this point and losing like $250m just from that is a huge blow

Cameron's going to demand that 250m be added to the official total.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

COVID hesitancy is a thing unless it gets in the way of something people really want, Spider-Man etc

y'all brought it up

Pretty much. Plenty are rightly cautious most of the time. But you can't see something like NWH last Christmas and suggest that somethings go beyond that. Avatar just isn't one of them, and that's okay.

Edited by BluKyberCrystal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

In the digital consumption era I highly doubt that's going to happen. Top Gun Maverick got lucky with its much shorter runtime compared to Avatar 2. Again, theatrical rewatches have pretty much died out. Under these conditions $1.5B is frankly the best it can hope for. I wish it was a megahit like the first one, as it's frankly an incredible film. I would love to see Jimbo's 5 film saga fully happen. But I honestly think Avatar 3 will truly be the end. What a letdown.

3 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

COVID hesitancy is a thing unless it gets in the way of something people really want, Spider-Man etc

y'all brought it up

Endgame would make like 200M in current China conditions. Educate yourself 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GipJo said:

I guess Top Gun 2 happened in 2008. It's posts like this that makes some CBM fans angry. Stop gaslighting.

if i can’t bring up Marvel movies broadly as a means to illustrate my point (really you can just substitute that for most franchise movies in general if you so prefer) then i guess the CBM fans deserve to be “gaslit” (?????)

• Like 1