Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-monday-1235203056/

Disney/20th Century Studio’s Avatar: The Way of Water is heading to a Monday around $16M which will take its four day total to $150.1M. Nothing to cry about as the Monday for the James Cameron directed movie bests the first Monday of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ($11.1M).

If Avatar 2 exceeds $16M today, that will rank as the second best Monday of 2022, besting the Monday July 4th gross of Universal/Illumination’s Minions: The Rise of Gru.

Currently, Avatar 2‘s Monday is emulating a similar Sunday-to-Monday decline to that of Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story which went down -54% over that time span for a $17.6M Monday. Avatar 2‘s Sunday-to-Monday decline is looking like -56% after making $36.5M yesterday.

• Like 1

I agree that it's definitely a bit too early to tell, given that TGM was comping almost equally against Finding Dory for most of the first week, but given that people here were projecting $18m, and I expected it to take the over on RO, this is somewhat concerning for 4x to say the least

• Like 1

Something else I haven't seen mentioned much and I have no data to back this up, but have the amount of individual IMAX locations decreased a lot? I know mine shut down back in 2015 and the screen was moved to the AMC in the same location and I'm curious if that happened elsewhere. Reason I ask is that might hurt legs a lot since I know a lot of Avatar's late legs came from those individual IMAX locations keeping it around.

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Not good

I'd say it's not good if you're hoping for really insane legs. If you're simply hoping for normal Christmas big opener legs (3.5-4x) then can chalk it up to length hurting weekdays for now and hope for better numbers as more people start to get off and into Christmas. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I'd say it's not good if you're hoping for really insane legs. If you're simply hoping for normal Christmas big opener legs (3.5-4x) then can chalk it up to length hurting weekdays for now and hope for better numbers as more people start to get off and into Christmas. 

Agreed, I feel like this comment from the r/boxoffice thread sums it up quite nicely

This is gonna leg like a normal blockbuster and people here are gonna lose their minds.

BTW 34% of the subreddit predicted >20m :sparta:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GipJo said:

3rd weekend the final judgement it is according to Cameron.

While the second weekend will be depressed because of Christmas Eve, if the drop's 50% or over it's not going to suddenly have a ton of people show up for the third weekend and save it.

• Like 1

So.

R1 first Mon was $17.6m. Like I’ve been discussing with @JohnnyGossamer on the OW thread, I don’t see how Avatar could have more than a 4x multiplier, and I actually think that A2 will actually behave a lot more closely to R1 than A1. R1 had an $155m OW, with a 3,43 multiplier for a $523m DOM total.

It’s still way too early to tell, but if this $16m figure holds this is… not ideal if the film is to break $500m. Like I’ve said on the OW Thread, while passing $500m is a possibility, I don’t think it’s 100% guaranteed, even with A2 having movie theaters for itself until February. If we apply the R1 multiplier to A2, that’s around $460m total. 

Like several others have said, this will be very hard to read for a while. I still think that crossing $500m won’t be a walk, so tempering expectations even if this comes a bit higher tomorrow might be in order.

• Like 2