Eric the IF

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

37 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Has anyone noticed Violent Night is already on digital? WTAF. Couldn’t even wait until after the holidays?

Insane. Is this ‘under a certain number so it’s 17 days’ rule something they are contractually obligated to? As it makes zero sense in the context of releasing a Christmas movie in theaters that’s out on VOD before the actual holiday. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Hmmm 

No grosses reported this AM for Babylon‘s previews. The hope is that this Damien Chazelle directed movie, which Paramount has supported greatly as it earned five Golden Globe nominations, will be north of double digits over 4 days.

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

people braving arctic conditions to go underwater with Cameron. Imagine the numbers when everybody can come out. 

Cold Weather Wow GIF by Outside TV

DUeY.gif

More like this......

Anyway, the strong hold in overseas market and meh performance for new openers still give me hope the domestic run for Avatar will recover by the storm end but I must admit the likelihood is fading fast. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Insane. Is this ‘under a certain number so it’s 17 days’ rule something they are contractually obligated to? As it makes zero sense in the context of releasing a Christmas movie in theaters that’s out on VOD before the actual holiday. 

You literally answered your own question right there. It's precisely because it's not Christmas yet that they placed it out on PVOD. Universal already made solid money on the film, and now they want to strike while the iron is hot and get the money from people who want to watch it at home. Nobody's going to see a Christmas movie in February or March, and PVOD doesn't impact legs, so you might as well get some extra revenue from the film that's likely going to be more revenue than the likely $3 million gross from theaters that weekend.

I know you hate these early windows and that streaming is the devil's work, but it makes total sense to capitalize on the film's popularity like this so early and it's more than clear that Universal likes doing this strategy.

27 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Wouldn't 99m weekdays followed by a 47m 3rd weekend be rather odd?

Rogue One made about 89m from 26-29, so that would be 10 million more for Avatar 2, but for the weekend you would have Rogue One ahead by 1m again, as it made 48m. Surely if Avatar was that far ahead over the weekdays, it should easily make 50m+ over the 3rd weekend.

You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

Whoops, I had R1 at $99M for the 4-days. Ok lets knock $12M off of A2's 26-29 and leave the rest the same. Drop the totals down by 10M lol

12 minutes ago, XXR It's 2 Damn Cold Out said:

You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

Whoops, I had R1 at $99M for the 4-days. Ok lets knock $12M off of A2's 26-29 and leave the rest the same. Drop the totals down by 10M lol

Shouldnt a part of the storm's loss during 23-26 for avatar become a pump for 26-29 (so right after it ends) and thus making it outperform R1 in that period. Maybe do 95m or smth. Maybe it would have outperform it by a tiny bit either way for that stretch, storm or no storm

Edited by Gkalaitza

17 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

You literally answered your own question right there. It's precisely because it's not Christmas yet that they placed it out on PVOD. Universal already made solid money on the film, and now they want to strike while the iron is hot and get the money from people who want to watch it at home. Nobody's going to see a Christmas movie in February or March, and PVOD doesn't impact legs, so you might as well get some extra revenue from the film that's likely going to be more revenue than the likely $3 million gross from theaters that weekend.

I know you hate these early windows and that streaming is the devil's work, but it makes total sense to capitalize on the film's popularity like this so early and it's more than clear that Universal likes doing this strategy.

In the context of this movie, I can see the sense in it. Although I still think it’s beholden to a commitment rather than that they actually planned it just for this. 

Streaming isn’t the devil’s work, its the stupid windows that are the issue. Although VOD is another matter. I’ve less of an issue with VOD than I do with straight to free streaming which is the most moronic thing Hollywood have done in a generation.  

• Thanks 1

RO produced a better Thursday hold (+12%) opposed to A2's 1% increase. We'll see if WAY OF WATER can produce a similar ballpark weekend. Its trailing RO by a significant margin after the first week, but majority came from opening day to be fair.

WATERSO SHOWDOWN  - AVATAR 2 VS ROGUE ONE

DAY 7: (THURSDAY) AVATAR 14.5m

DAY 7: (THURSDAY) ROGUE ONE 16.7m

WATER TEMP: COLD (-2.2m)

CUME: AVATAR 197.5m  VS ROGUE ONE 222m

SEA LEVEL: MINUS 336m

WATER FLOW: 478m

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Thursday number is a reflection of the storm, right? In normal circumstances it would go up.

obiwan-possibly.gif

===

FWIW:

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Some of it is due to storm thingy. In a non-affected region, sales were up 5% which isn't much tho.

So even in non-stormy climes it still was a decent chunk behind R1's Wed --> Thr percentage (+12.076%)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So even in non-stormy climes it still was a decent chunk behind R1's Wed --> Thr percentage (+12.076%)

It's quite obvious that the storm only impacted the areas that love Avatar 2 the most.  If the areas were reversed, A2 would have been up 15-20%.  It's science or math or something.