Eric Furiosa

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Having just watched Glass Onion, it's a real shame that Netflix did not give this a full fledged theatrical release.

They could have at least opened it when they did (Nov 23) and let it run through to the platform release today. Netflix subscribers would have been just as happy/satisfied, given that they weirdly released it in theatres from Nov 23-29 and then made everyone wait until today anyway. Given this, yanking it from theatres prematurely made no sense to me, but what do I know.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Having just watched Glass Onion, it's a real shame that Netflix did not give this a full fledged theatrical release.

They could have at least opened it when they did (Nov 23) and let it run through to the platform release today. Netflix subscribers would have been just as happy/satisfied, given that they weirdly released it in theatres from Nov 23-29 and then made everyone wait until today anyway. Given this, yanking it from theatres prematurely made no sense to me, but what do I know.

Peace,

Mike

This made total sense thank to it being yanked out of theaters everyone is talking about it and interest grow to pay and renew that Netflix subcription, just look at people crying for that Movie it definetly worked and raised Netflix profile above theaters, had made theaters cry for Netflix content when before people said their movies were bad. Masterfully played by netflix.  Netflix should be proud no shame at all. The more people cry the more premium Netflix seem.  Next time Day and Date please. 

Edited by StreamBO

1 minute ago, StreamBO said:

This made total sense thank to it being yanked out of thetaers everyone is talking about it and interest grow to pay and renew that Netflix subcription, just look at you crying for that Movie it definetly worked and raised Netflix profile above theaters, had made theaters cry for Netflix content when before people said their movies were bad. Masterfully played by netflix. 

I'm going to have to disagree with your assertions. Netflix talks frequently about keeping their subscribers happy for retention purposes. They also talk about spending to create a lot of content to keep them happy. In particular, they spend a lot of money on movies (the Knives Out sequels were very costly for Netflix). 

Glass Onion is a great movie, and with a four-week release instead of the one-week release, folks would still be talking about it - and subscribers would still be happy. Indeed, I think many would anticipate watching it again on Netflix with friends and family that hadn't seen it in theatres.

Instead, Netflix lost out on precious theatrical revenue, which I think will prove necessary for them moving forward in terms of their business model and having a slate of theatrically released films that help re-coup costs and that also have greater staying power/cultural relevance/etc.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

I’d argue it worked out brilliantly for them actually. All the people who won’t go to the movies this weekend bc of weather will just watch that instead. And bc it was barely in theaters, barely anyone has already seen it, so even bigger boost for it this weekend. Netflix lucked out big time. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It's doubly unfortunate because it's happening on Christmas weekend where a lot of people who otherwise don't really go to the movies do so out of tradition, so if you lose a lot of that business due to external factors then a significant portion of it is probably just lost completely and won't be made back later.

Is that really a thing? If there is bad weather I prefer it be on a weekend where a lot of people won't go anyway because of Christmas.

The proportion of people who go to the movies on Christmas as a tradition is relatively small (as demonstrated by traditionally smaller box office numbers), but you also have to take into account that some of these people are more frequent moviegoers. What's the % of people who only go to the movies on Christmas and will not ever report at a later date? I feel like that must be a pretty marginal group

Obviously the storm is bad for business no matter what, but I feel like less damage is done on Christmas weekend which is already suboptimal

Depending on the impact of the storm on Avatar 2nd weekend, i think it's possible the 3rd weekend will just stay flat

I really hope Puss In Boots save itself next week as well since it should be even more impacted (kids and storm just don't go along), it's really sad seeing DreamWorks doing something right and getting a flop as result

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’d argue it worked out brilliantly for them actually. All the people who won’t go to the movies this weekend bc of weather will just watch that instead. And bc it was barely in theaters, barely anyone has already seen it, so even bigger boost for it this weekend. Netflix lucked out big time. 

Have they though? From my vantage point, Netflix has only lost out on theatrical revenue. They could have benefitted from both worlds - a longer theatrical release, bringing in more revenue, etc, followed by a release on Netflix for folks to watch over the holidays, for those who chose to wait anyway or wish to watch it again. 

I don't believe Netflix's current model is sustainable if they're going to spend big on movies that would play well in/are well-suited for theatres, but not take advantage of it. And in terms of creating a back catalogue that serves subscribers over the long term, a slate of theatrically-released originals is important, I believe. Increasingly, Netflix's original films feel like a catalogue of "fake movies" that sometimes land big initially but seem to disappear from the cultural zeitgeist quickly.

My two cents, anyhow. :)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexdube said:

Is that really a thing? If there is bad weather I prefer it be on a weekend where a lot of people won't go anyway because of Christmas.

The proportion of people who go to the movies on Christmas as a tradition is relatively small (as demonstrated by traditionally smaller box office numbers), but you also have to take into account that some of these people are more frequent moviegoers. What's the % of people who only go to the movies on Christmas and will not ever report at a later date? I feel like that must be a pretty marginal group

Obviously the storm is bad for business no matter what, but I feel like less damage is done on Christmas weekend which is already suboptimal

Um, what???

Xmas Eve is a bad day, yes.  But Xmas itself?  As well as Boxing Day?  They're not "bad days" in the slightest; just the opposite.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Peace,

Mike

I too saw Glass Onion in theatres during the one week engagement and I agree it's a shame. In fact I wish Rian didn't sell the property to Netflix, period. I think there was a bit of an overreaction to pandemic culture on the part of studios and artists.

That, and for all we know Rian is getting more money from Netflix than he ever would have from Lionsgate. It could be just a money thing for him.

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

Have they though? From my vantage point, Netflix has only lost out on theatrical revenue. They could have benefitted from both worlds - a longer theatrical release, bringing in more revenue, etc, followed by a release on Netflix for folks to watch over the holidays, for those who chose to wait anyway or wish to watch it again. 

I don't believe Netflix's current model is sustainable if they're going to spend big on movies that would play well in/are well-suited for theatres, but not take advantage of it. And in terms of creating a back catalogue that serves subscribers over the long term, a slate of theatrically-released originals is important, I believe. Increasingly, Netflix's original films feel like a catalogue of "fake movies" that sometimes land big initially but seem to disappear from the cultural zeitgeist quickly.

My two cents, anyhow. :)

Peace,

Mike

100% everything you’ve said. 

Maybe Paramount should have pulled Maverick out of theaters early for those Paramount Plus subs!

Instead they let it play all summer and it turned into the most talked about film for the entire year, and I would wager has resulted in a damn sight more subs than it otherwise would have. Plus they had made money from it through the traditional VOD, retail windows before even putting it on the service.  I mean, it really isn’t rocket science. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

100% everything you’ve said. 

Maybe Paramount should have pulled Maverick out of theaters early for those Paramount Plus subs!

Instead they let it play all summer and it turned into the most talked about film for the entire year, and I would wager has resulted in a damn sight more subs than it otherwise would have. Plus they had made money from it through the traditional VOD, retail windows before even putting it on the service.  I mean, it really isn’t rocket science. 

Agreed. Personally, I know far more people who went to see Top Gun in theatres than people who even have Paramount+. Streaming is so overrated. The vast majority of people seem to have Netflix and maybe Disney+ and Prime Video.

• Like 1

FWIW, Deadline is seeing $20m today and an $83m 4-day for Avatar, with hopes of $90m if business picks up earlier than expected this weekend. I could definitely see it undershoot that 4-day estimate with tomorrow likely being BRUTAL for box office, but we'll see.

Edited by Dragoncaine