Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna be annoying when it makes a perfectly fine total between $150-200M total and there will be handwringing over why it never approached unrealistically high expectations.

You know that only 3 out of 12 Illumination movies grossed less than 200M and only one grossed less than 150M?

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Super Mario is incredibly popular. More popular than Sonic, even if I historically love Sonic more. Not only looks good, but it seems like actual fans are pleased. I do think that Super Mario Bros and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse are films to observe box office wise next year.

Oh, I get the games are popular, but I was reticent on its power of drawing THAT many people to a theatrical release (DM grew tremendously from the first movie, off the back of annoying yellow creatures that created an insane following - my question is whether that in-built following for Mario will show up in cinemas). But if it does 800+...great, more likely it can bring life back to theatrical animation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, therana said:

Can't say I agree. Most casuals have no clue who Miles Morales is, and Peter Parker is Spider-Man for them. 

I’d say that Into Spider-Verse drastically changed that. As a comic book person, I’d argue that Miles never was as much accepted into the mythology as he is now. Of course that Peter Parker is the main Spider-Man and that’s correct, but there is another one, an Afro-American kid from Brooklyn that proved that anyone can wear the mask.

• Like 1

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I’d say that Into Spider-Verse drastically changed that. As a comic book person, I’d argue that Miles never was as much accepted into the mythology as he is now. Of course that Peter Parker is the main Spider-Man and that’s correct, but there is another one, an Afro-American kid from Brooklyn that proved that anyone can wear the mask.

It didn't. You just think it did because you are really active in the internet bubble where he's popular. The GA doesn't really know who he is especially overseas.

• Like 5

ATSV’s latest trailer is performing more in line with MCU trailers (it has more views/likes than Guardians Vol. 3 even) than other animated movies. I think it can skirt by on drawing older crowds ala Incredibles 2 on a smaller scale.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, XXR Also in Boots said:

This is an overreaction. The numbers aren't going to be that bad.

you’re right. He needs to be 5.54 million higher 

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Weather update with President Steve Rogers

wait. Lol. I didn’t catch that the first I was scrolling by. L. O. L. 

By the way; my hot take on Mario is that movie is gonna live and die by Chris Pratt’s Mario Voice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Miles Morales also had one of the best selling PS5 video games and one of the most viewed trailers for 2023 movies.

At this point only boomers don't know about him.

Edit: Also Sunflower is one of the most streamed songs.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm really curious how Hollywood is going to react to this snowstorm, because it's utterly destroying these numbers. Some of them might be moving away from the December corridor methinks.

If demand is there people will go regardless of issues.

NWH made nearly 2 billion dollars without china with a masisve covid wave. 

• Like 1