Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

Just now, Verrows said:

This might be an unpopular comment but I don't buy that the Christmas box office woes are 100% about the storm. There was a big storm in 2009 and look how healthy the box office was. Not to mention that it's not like miserable winter weather is a new thing around this time every year. It's just happening on a big scale this year.

No, this is also a just a complete rejection of theatres. I mean, the weather is bad here and yet the mall was packed! Traffic everywhere was packed. People are going out of the house. So yeah, I just can't bring myself to blame the storm for everything.

2023 represents my last hope for theatres. If the box office - outside the sure fire tentpoles - flounders then I'm pretty ready to declare theatres dead.

I think that not even in 2009 the US faced anything that they are currently facing, regardless how sunny the west coast is atm. But we will see.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, ZeeSoh said:

14.5m

You know I was not lying about this, it really was a super early reliable estimate I had gotten. 

Now when I post early numbers again people will not know if they are true or not. Muahahaha

evil-laugh-loki-tom-hiddleston-fduulx40v

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

This movies are not happening because of a storm is all made up . Sure it applies to a few places but in most places it’s just cold without snow and people do travel on cold windy days in winters to the movies. Maybe it impacted 5-10% but that’s it . Folks need to prepare it falling 40-45% on Christmas weekend and keep falling 

The difference between it's "just cold" and it's absolutely freezing is pretty wide.

So yeah it has an impact whether you want to admit it or not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

This movies are not happening because of a storm is all made up . Sure it applies to a few places but in most places it’s just cold and people do travel on cold windy days in winters to the movies. Maybe it impacted 5-10% but that’s it . Folks need to prepare it falling 40-45% on Christmas weekend and keep falling 

Films go down over time? Color me shocked.

Thank you for this groundbreaking information!

(Also, 40-45% drop is good even ignoring all the other factors)

Just now, Cap said:

And, we just lost power. 🙃

Oh that's terrible. Hope it comes back soon and in the mean time I hope you have means to keep warm. Also try and conserve your phone/laptop battery as much as possible if you don't know when the power will be back up. They are important for communication if you don't have landline

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Verrows said:

This might be an unpopular comment but I don't buy that the Christmas box office woes are 100% about the storm. There was a big storm in 2009 and look how healthy the box office was. Not to mention that it's not like miserable winter weather is a new thing around this time every year. It's just happening on a big scale this year.

No, this is also a just a complete rejection of theatres. I mean, the weather is bad here and yet the mall was packed! Traffic everywhere was packed. People are going out of the house. So yeah, I just can't bring myself to blame the storm for everything.

The 2023 cinema slate represents my last hope for theatres. If the box office - outside the sure fire tentpoles - flounders then I'm pretty ready to declare theatres dead. I know this is pretty cynical and depressing but I needed to get it out of my system.

I mean i think its pretty clear that the theater landscape pre-Covid is dead and will never return. In these last few years too many people changed their viewing habits, streaming has established itself as the primary choice for movie consumption - especially so in animation. Going forward i do think theaters will see an uptick in ticket sales next year but it will probably be a small one and it wont be enough to change the current trajectory: That cinema will eventually reduce itself to only-tentpole fare, while the small-budget and mid-budget movies will inevitably one day only be found on streaming plattforms.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

This movies are not happening because of a storm is all made up . Sure it applies to a few places but in most places it’s just cold without snow and people do travel on cold windy days in winters to the movies. Maybe it impacted 5-10% but that’s it . Folks need to prepare it falling 40-45% on Christmas weekend and keep falling 

I can confirm that people are out and about doing plenty of stuff in super cold weather today. I went to 2 different stores because the heater in our house was not working properly. We were trying to find space heaters. Luckily the 2nd store had some, but the 1st store was sold out. Both stores were absolutely jam-packed with people shopping for Christmas stuff at the last minute. The "feels like" temperature was less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Pretty damn cold. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I mean i think its pretty clear that the theater landscape pre-Covid is dead and will never return. In these last few years too many people changed their viewing habits, streaming has established itself as the primary choice for movie consumption - especially so in animation. Going forward i do think theaters will see an uptick in ticket sales next year but it will probably be a small one and it wont be enough to change the current trajectory: That cinema will eventually reduce itself to only-tentpole fare, while the small-budget and mid-budget movies will inevitably one day only be found on streaming plattforms.

Yeah, I realize this was evident before and not news. I think I'm just doing some self-therapy by getting it out haha.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Yeah, I realize this was evident before and not news. I think I'm just doing some self-therapy by getting it out haha.

I was in the denial phase for a short time about all this, but ive reached acceptance for a long time now. Theres nothing we can do about it, the media landscape was always changing and will always change. I just personally hope that movies as an artform can survive for a long time and that the theater experience will not go away entirely.

• Like 1

@ZeeSoh @Grebacio

i’m staying at my parents, because the roads are going to be terrible tomorrow and it’s Christmas Eve so I figured I’ll just stay here.

Plot twist, they apparently have a generator. Which my father is trying to get started. We’ll see if it works or not.

Thankfully, losing power is not the end of the world up here. When I was out driving this afternoon, there is a bunch of trees and powerlines down. So I had already told my parents to keep their devices plugged in. And I just switched everyone over to battery saver mode. 

Which! Oh. He get on while I was typing this up. So at least we’ll have heat, even if everything else is still off 

so I’m definitely glad I made the right decision to stay at my parents. Because my house would be freezing if I lost power. It’s freezing even with power. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Cap said:

Also, for my dyslexic sanity, may we please not abbreviate the Whitney Houston movie, let’s just call Whitney. We don’t need that I WITDSWH nonsense. 🤮 My brain like shut down reading that 😂

WH:IWTDWS:AWHS

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1