Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well thats what i mean, the 'nutz' part. What does the film being 'nutz' suggest?, probably crazy action right?.

Thats exactly what i was talking about.

I am not sure tbh. I think it's in regards to story because when you submit draft you generally don't mention how action sequences are going to take place. So pretty sure it's the story that is nuts. Maybe we are in for a surprise come Avatar 4

Edited by Nero
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The GOAT comes in at +17.2% boxing day increase.

2) Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Uni) 4,099 theaters, Fri $3.8M, Sat $2.8M, Sun $5.8M Mon $6.8M 3-day $12.44M, 4-day $19.2M/Total $26.1M/Wk 1

This again, show holiday moviegoing habit has changed forever after pandemic. This is a far weaker Boxing day bump compared to Sing and Moana back in 2016.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Well thats what i mean, the 'nutz' part. What does the film being 'nutz' suggest?, probably crazy action right?.

Thats exactly what i was talking about.

I think he meant something crazy with the plot, not the action. In the interview, he said the audience will think we have it figured out and then it goes nuts. This statement is suggesting a major plot twist. 

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Weird post. I like both Avatar 1 and 2. I was referring to Cameron’s words. He said Part 4 made the producers say “holy fuck” because the script is apparently that damn good. So yes I am eager to see Part 4, moreso than Part 3. 

I think it's more about A4's plot being shocking and probably more brutal than about quality, IIRC Cameron also said A4 is a "motherfucker" at some point so my guess would be he wrote some big deaths and likely very big destruction in the film.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Having finally seen it, I don't think it's an issue. It's not a cliff-hanger like POTC 2 or Matrix 2, nor is it similar to LOTR - those movies each felt complete in their own way, while clearly just chapters in a bigger story; however, the fact that they were yearly releases lessened the impact of this.

For me Avatar 2 doesn't have an issue with it feeling incomplete or a stand-in until the next one comes out. SOME of it is wheel spinning, but I think the bigger issue it has is the pacing with its middle hour. Aside form the pacing in the middle, there's some big issues with the story, characters, especially some of the new ones, the dialogue, but I think the ending is tight enough for what it set out to tell in those 3 hours, anchored by a surprisingly emotional element (as much as it seems like a plot hole that so many characters disappear in the end, it works that it feels like a more intimate affair, and not a rehash of the first battle, while still delivering on the action). It doesn't feel unsatisfying for me. Couple that with the unsurprisingly mind-blowing visuals and I think it's good enough for strong WOM through the next two weeks and also has a decent hook for the third one. 

The "notes" quote from Cameron does make me hopeful the third will be a step up in story and pacing.

Arey my post was in regards to how it's difficult to manage sequels because for LOTR there was already reference material available 

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I am not sure tbh. I think it's in regards to story because when you submit draft you generally don't mention how action sequences are going to take place. So pretty sure it's the story that is nuts. Maybe we are in surprise come Avatar 4

I hope A3, or one of the sequels, has a final 30min battle where thousands of Navi attack that massive circular human city that we see glimpses of in A2.

I'm sure the action jinkies would lap that up.

14 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Some films are not for everyone, and i feel AVATAR isnt for some off you to be honest.

If you're just there for the action, and arent botherd about the nature doc style scenes, and the 'wonder' of nature, then i'd just skip the series.

I care more about the nature doc parts than the action, the parts a lot of comic book fans would probably think is boring. Those 'boring' parts are what the the hardcore fans love, and even Cameron has said as much himself.

As an example, i bet all those extended scenes with the kids undrwater, playing wiht the animals etc, while the ambient music is playing. Those scenes are probably boring to some of you, ask a hardcore fan and they will more often than not say they are the best parts of the movie.

Well said, exactly that's what i like about Avatar the Serene beautifullness the movies have and the sequell goes more time with it and liked it. That's why i dissagree hard with people complaining about runtime and that's why i say Avatar should not be compared to the MCU, different franchises that pursue different movie experiences for the viewer. Avatar and it's sequell "doc parts" is something like ahhh more relaxing. 

Edited by StreamBO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This again, show holiday moviegoing habit has changed forever after pandemic. This is a far weaker Boxing day bump compared to Sing and Moana back in 2016.

But wasn't the Christmas Day bump higher for everything across the board so that would in a smaller Boxing Day bump to follow?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Yes, definitely. A3 will drop everywhere except china and maybe europe.

Wife did not like the movie at all. She found it boring and incomplete. She says the visuals are not enough to spend so much to watch the movie.

You are repeating this, but I don't see how the opinion of your wife means something in the big picture of things and has a correlation about the 3rd dropping almost everywhere. I mean, it very much can drop, but the reception is excellent and a few anecdotal evidences are completely irrelevant at this point of the run...

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I hope A3, or one of the sequels, has a final 30min battle where thousands of Navi attack that massive circular human city that we see glimpses of in A2.

I'm sure the action jinkies would lap that up.

I think big action bonanza is saved for 4 or 5th. 3rd might be similar to 2nd one

3 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

Well said, exactly that's what i like about Avatar the Serene beautifullness the movies have and the sequell goes more time with it and liked it. That's why i dissagree hard with people complaining about runtime and that's why i say Avatar should not be compared to the MCU, different franchises that pursue different movie experiences for the viewer. Avatar and it's sequell "doc parts" is something like ahhh more relaxing. 

Yep, i honestly get mesmerized and lost in those scenes. I mean its pure esacpism at its finest.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is because of an inflated Christmas from the winter storm last weak. Not because of some drastic change in holiday moviegoing habits. Sing 2 was in the midst of omnicron and moviegoing habits seemed steady. 

My point was, even though it's a smaller increase than Sing, it wasn't flat like Avatar 2.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

I think big action bonanza is saved for 4 or 5th. 3rd might be similar to 2nd one

Well i was thinking with 2 and 3 being basically one script orig, the eding of that orig script probably had a massive battle.

I think you're right about 4 will def have something massive to end on. And its sounding like 5 will involve Earth.

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well i was thinking with 2 and 3 being basically one script orig, the eding of that orig script probably had a massive battle.

I think you're right about 4 will def have something massive to end on. And its sounding like 5 will involve Earth.

If A2 didn't do well then Jim said he was going to end with A3 then that movie would have had a big battle. But since that's not the case anymore I think 4 & 5 will be biggest 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The most important question remains: What is A2’s cultural impact? 

September 24th

C3-B667-E5-0-BE3-494-E-BA2-B-780-C3263-C

December 20th

Screenshot-2022-12-20-at-13-14-33.png

December 27th

AE434-AD6-6-ECC-418-A-A1-DD-972665412-F6

Is there finally impact? 

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 3