XXRDJisDoctorDoom

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

1 hour ago, juanw said:

Please can everyone stop using the p**s word? It is disgusting and vulgar. Its extremely dehumanising for women. Don't care if the misogynistic producers named the movie that - get with the 21st century.

Oh brother....

21 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

What do ya'll think would be a strong release date that would optimize Shrek 5's gross domestically?

DreamWorks uses many dates but they have a consistent history with two: the pre-Memorial Day weekend in May and the first weekend in November.

I personally think the optimum date would be where they always released Shrek - that mid May date. Big opening weekend, strong 2nd weekend hold due to Memorial Day (Shrek 2 second weekend was phenomenal in 2004), then summer weekdays to sustain long legs.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

Earlier today, I came across this tweet from a guy I follow on twitter (he is mainly a Finance guy but also tweets about sports, politics etc but not a huge movie buff)...and then in the replies, I saw few other normies agreeing with him on how there aren't many movie options these days to go and see a light hearted fun movie in theaters. This made we wondering...are these kind of mid-budget comedy, light hearted fun movies that he was referring to here going to hugely succeed in these post-pandemic era ? I haven't seen them yet but don't movies like Ticket to Paradise, Lost City fit these categories ? Yet they barely struggled to do $100M Dom, $200M WW

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

The evening has been.....rough.....for ATWOW. Perhaps other chains and Canada will over index again to pull it up but now we're thinking 17-18M for Saturday. 

Wait the estimates are supposed to go *up* throughout the evening!

9 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

The evening has been.....rough.....for ATWOW. Perhaps other chains and Canada will over index again to pull it up but now we're thinking 17-18M for Saturday. 

Somewhat expected, no? People don't go to theaters on New Years Eve. New Years Day should be 20M+.

• Like 2

@Blankments @WrathOfHan Let's go

13x:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets, Don't Worry Darling, See How They Run, Ticket to Paradise, Till, The Banshees of Inisherin, Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World, The Fabelmans, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

6x:

Avatar: The Way of Water: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Bones and All, Strange World, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: The Bad Guys, Lightyear, Marcel the Shell, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, The Menu, Strange World, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

Oppenheimer: Nope, Jaws, Avatar, The Fabelmans, Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

5x:

Creed III: Till, Black Adam, Bones and All, Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Dog, Uncharted, The Guide, RRR, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

4x:

I Wanna Dance with Somebody: The Woman King, Don't Worry Darling, Bros, Bones and All

M3GAN: Dawn of the Dead 3D, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Bones and All, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2

3x:

Empire of Light: See How They Run, The Banshees of Inisherin, Armageddon Time

Women Talking: Till, Bones and All, Armageddon Time

House Party: Dawn of the Dead 3D, Black Adam, Violent Night

Plane: Dawn of the Dead 3D, Black Adam, Violent Night

Knock at the Cabin: Don't Worry Darling, The Fabelmans, Violent Night

John Wick: Chapter 4: Bullet Train, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World

2x:

The Whale: The Menu, The Fabelmans

A Man Called Otto: The Banshees of Inisherin, The Fabelmans

The Son: The Banshees of Inisherin, Armageddon Time

Magic Mike's Last Dance: Bones and All, The Menu

The Flash: Uncharted, The Batman

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1: Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman

1x:

Spoiler

Babylon: Smile

Living: Till

Missing: The Menu

Fear: Violent Night

Infinity Pool: Violent Night

Cocaine Bear: Violent Night

Jesus Revolution: Ticket to Paradise

65: Avatar: The Way of Water

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Smile

Chevalier: The Menu

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2

Elemental: Strange World

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water

Barbie: Avatar: The Way of Water

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre: The King's Man

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

White Bird: A Wonder Story: Thor: Love and Thunder

And the ones I got in the double digit that came out this year? Well...

Black Adam - 14 times

Nope - 10 times

And uh...that's it. I guess I was lucky? Or maybe it's because I watch less movies than you? I dunno.

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm thinking more about the Sunday 

Last weekend they predict the 4-Day around 16M lower than what it did. 

And even after that explosive Sunday they still project 4-day around 8M lower than reality. 

But i think they'll be more precise this weekend too, just wondering.

Oh yes, you are correct. I thought you were talking about Friday.

Yes last Saturday Disney estimates were low on Sunday and Monday. I don't see that happening this week though but I hope they report 67M and it goes higher. 🙂

32 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

A drop is expected, yes. We were just hoping it would be similar to the R1 drop (-20%) and not -26/28%.

Thankfully not pulling an Aquaman though 😬🤷‍♂️

@Alex SciChannel I'd prepare for a rough drop if Avatar is going further. The best thing about the family skewing films on days like this, is the fact that while loss of evening shows does hurt, the evening shows arent the main family crowd times (usually.) Lets wait and see - I be a tad nervous. 

52 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

*insert gif of Elle Woods throwing a box of chocolates at the tv screaming LIAR*

Edited by Robertron
How do I post gifs from mobile web/safari? :(

Just now, Robertron said:

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="3988049" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="2.31481" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/legally-blonde-liar-liars-reese-witherspoon-elle-woods-gif-3988049">Liar!!!! - Legally Blonde GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/legally+blonde-gifs">Legally Blonde GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

I'm sure this is supposed to be something funny but it's just a wall of text 😅

57 minutes ago, XXR M37&#x27;s Club Is Dead said:

What’s the value when using Thursday as the primary comp? Might see a similar if not larger under-index due to CFP games 

And if - after the last 3 days - we suddenly see a reversion to like +5-10% vs RO baseline, these boards are going to be fun :popcorn: