XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

20 minutes in I had already forgotten I was watching a 3d movie, thats a sign of good 3d right? maybe its so good that people barely realize its there thus leading to less 3D-wom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M37 said:

That’s probably it, but doesn’t seem to have any problem on Tue/Wed/Thur. Maybe Monday Night Football + running time eats into potential a bit 🤷‍♂️

Let's see how other holdovers are performing on Monday. If Avatar 2 drop was harsher, than this could be the runtime problem. If otherwise, it just prove that people this year are less keen to see a movie on last day of long holiday. 

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Drops for Passengers the first two weeks of January were 45.4% and 39.4% (MLK weekend). After that, it crumbled (-58% and -59.4%).

It can work the comparission with Avatwo for the first days of January, but not after January 9th.

For some reason, I still think Avatar 1 is the better comparison, Hobbit 1 and Jumanji WTJ is also noteworthy. Passengers number are still low and they are vulnerable to screen and showtime cut.   

How am I suddenly the the optimist who thinks double digits is happening today? 

In 2016/17, the films to drop >50% from Mon 1/2 to Tue 1/3 has the smaller declines from Sun to Mon, and a whole lot were under 50%. 

Expecting $10-$11 for Tuesday

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

20 minutes in I had already forgotten I was watching a 3d movie, thats a sign of good 3d right? maybe its so good that people barely realize its there thus leading to less 3D-wom

Actually if people are looking for things popping out from screen kind of 3D, Avatar 2 may disappoint them. But 3D effect in A2 was very deep, the big screen really turn into a real-life like space from the other world.    

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

In 2016/17, the films to drop >50% from Mon 1/2 to Tue 1/3 has the smaller declines from Sun to Mon, and a whole lot were under 50%. 

we broke him

• Haha 3

Would just like to point out my 450ish expectations through 1/2 after that CD hold basically came true exactly. The somewhat ho hum Boxing Day hold threw me a little, but it held even better than I expected pretty much every other day. 

Now, manifesting 720+ DOM, manifesting 720+…

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I dunno. That runtime makes weekday viewing hard.

I'm expecting tepid numbers this week, but that it will lead to this being a Saturday/Sunday banger like the LOTR films were way back in the day.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

61% of the OW was from 3D. No more report on 3D share since OW. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if that number went up for total DOM too. Big part of A1s WOM was “you gotta check out this new kind of 3D.”  Again, A2 doesn’t have that sort of thing going for it. 

Which really makes me think it will be approaching A1s DOM admissions if it does creep near  that $750 first run gross of A1. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Industry estimates believe that Avatar 2‘s fourth weekend will be between $25M-$30M beating new wide release, Universal/Blumhouse’s PG-13 genre title M3GAN which is looking at $17M, despite tracking have that film higher in the lower $20Ms. Showtimes start Thursday at 5PM. Young females under 25 are the prime demo.

hummmmmmm

why do industry estimates see the same drop as rogue as the best case scenario?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that number went up for total DOM too. Big part of A1s WOM was “you gotta check out this new kind of 3D.”  Again, A2 doesn’t have that sort of thing going for it. 

Which really makes me think it will be approaching A1s DOM admissions if it does creep near  that $750 first run gross of A1. 

Actually the 3D% are kind of lower than what I expected. I thought this could come near to 70% since this could be the least headache inducing 3D movies since....anything else? 

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Industry estimates believe that Avatar 2‘s fourth weekend will be between $25M-$30M beating new wide release, Universal/Blumhouse’s PG-13 genre title M3GAN which is looking at $17M, despite tracking have that film higher in the lower $20Ms. Showtimes start Thursday at 5PM. Young females under 25 are the prime demo.

hummmmmmm

why do industry estimates see the same drop as rogue as the best case scenario?

$25m would be a 63% drop lmaooooooooooooooo