CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

4 hours ago, Verrows said:

Personally I'm more excited about that M3GAN number! 

Honestly, Universal is really the only studio pulling its weight in terms of product output. It's all well and fine for Disney to have their blockbusters but Universal is actually putting in effort on the theatrical front outside of their tentpoles.

I very much agree. Universal, and to some extent, Paramount have more varied slates than the other studios. It is their 'smaller' films that add so much fun to the box office and moviegoing in general.

This is shaping up to be the healthiest weekend for exhibition in ages. Instead of one mega-blockbuster dominating and everything else flopping, we have 3 different tentpoles pulling in big numbers.

Great Success Win GIF

Puss in Boots 2 in particular fascinates me. It's already out at home, and yet it's still set for a great weekend. I can't help but wonder why, in the instant gratification age, such a miracle was achieved.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

Lost World, AI, War of the Worlds, Indiana Jones 4, Tintin, BFG...... all of them were unsatisfactory.

Seriously? Do we need to pit every film-maker against each other?

Spielberg and Cameron are both legends, with two very different approaches. Spielberg has churned out a new film every 18 months for close to 50 years (on average) and follows his curiosity wherever it takes him. So yeah - his ratio of hits to misses might be much worse than Camerons, but even when he misses, there's always some interesting ideas and set pieces in there. For example, War of the Worlds (which I quite like) has several incredible set pieces. The first tripod attack is still one of my favourite Spielberg scenes ever. Even Crystal Skull (which I admit is mostly drivel) has an epic opening scene. And I'm generally grateful for the diversity in Spielberg's filmography - the man made Jurassic Park and Schindler's List IN THE SAME YEAR.

I love JC too. No one crafts a third act like him. Aliens is still the best executed final act I've ever seen - my 12 year old mind was blown when the Alien Queen stabs Bishop - like 'hang onnnn.... There's more?!?!?'. If Titanic is on TV I end up watching the whole thing, because I can't tear my eyes away from it. He's a master of the craft. But I do wish we'd see just a shade more variety in his filmography (especially now).

Sorry for veering OT...

And even if I'm not Avatwos biggest fan, I'm absolutely delighted to witness this run. Between this and TGM I've absolutely loved obsessively following every daily number - reminds me why I joined these forums in the first place. Fingers crossed for $45m this weekend.

• Like 4
  • Heart 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm officially apologizing for telling others what A2 can and can't do when in fact they have been closer to real numbers than myself on multiple occasions. Even though i got the gist right in that FRI bump is gonna be muted and FRI-to-WKND multiplier will be higher i still underestimated its ability to hold on to its audience, again. I'm eating humble pie.

Sorry Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Screw it, i'm jumping on the "this-might-actually-take-down-TGM" bandwagon! @IronJimbo @stuart360

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, props to those folks who have maintained from early on that Way of Water will have more than just normal strong legs. It's going to, at least, get close to a 5 multiplier, and I'm now recognizing a 5+ multiplier as a genuine possibility. 

Given this, and the strength of international numbers, that Way of Water will probably most likely become one of the top 4 films worldwide, behind only Endgame and two other Jim Cameron movies (Avatar & Titanic). Just wild!

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Man we are cooking with fire... nearly matching A1's 4th Saturday. Day 23 is the latest any film has hit $20m, correct?

If you don't count American Sniper! Which you shouldn't! Do you hear that, Box Office Mojo!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

🕯
              🕯             🕯
        🕯                          🕯

🕯                                   🕯

🕯                          🕯
              🕯             🕯
                       🕯

manifesting circle for 21m for A2

• Like 1