CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Charlie, the purple user who thinks Endgame was more impressive than Avatar (2009). Very strange honestly.

Impressive isn't the word you are looking for. It's BIGGER.

Endgame BO is BIGGER than A1 and A2.

Demon Slayer box office run in Japan is more impressive than A1 and EG.

• Like 3

So we have established over the last few pages that the fallout from the pandemic is over,and movie going is back to pre-pandemic levels.

Fine as long as people remember that the next time a Marvel or fanboy film underperforms, because i certainly will.

• Like 3

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Impressive isn't the word you are looking for. It's BIGGER.

Endgame BO is BIGGER than A1 and A2.

Demon Slayer box office run in Japan is more impressive than A1 and EG.

That depends on how you define bigger in terms of blockbusters, money or admissions.

Personally, I like to use money. Afterall you could sell 1 billion tickets at $0.01 but what would be the point in that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

That’s not the relevant dynamic though. People aren’t skipping theaters because of fear of COVID, but that the necessary response to the pandemic - staying at home - changed people’s behavior to some degree permanently (IMO, accelerating a shift that was coming in 5-10 years anyway). They got used to streaming, and now the time and cost commitment of theaters is less attractive 

No, we don’t don’t know that behavior has permanently changed in a way that’s detrimental to any given movie.

By your reasoning, TGM & NWH should have had even bigger runs, & frankly, I don’t see solid ground for that argument.

IOW, people being more used to streaming in general doesn’t mean that Movie A would have done better in 2019 than in 2022. In fact, on the contrary, it seems like the biggest blockbusters are just as big (if not bigger) than ever.

Edit:

The exception here is China, of course, where there are still policies in place that reduce the consumption of movies at the cinema.

Edited by LinksterAC

13 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Genuinely, the only thing stopping 2019 levels of overall box office are the lack of movies, that's pretty plain to see Jimbo. 

Please note that I want absolutely NO PART in this A2 vs EG debate, but I don't think this is really true, there are some pretty big overseas market that never recovered post-covid, i.e. SK is down 50% in admits from 2019, and even a bunch of european markets while having a revival of sorts with A2 have been feeling dead after covid.

That said, would be nice to just discuss the numbers without a "which was more impressive" debate for once lol.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

I’m not about to say that’s impossible. I certainly think it’s a *possibility*, but I’m also not going to take it for granted like you are.

Seems also possible to me that China would have ended up being as little 1.5X the rate it’s running now. Mainly because China is trying its post-2020 darndest to reopen right now.

Agreed, sadly this is the type of sitation we'll be debating forever how it could've been. The same goes for MCU without China in the past movies.

I would like to see some Avatar in it's full potential, which didn't happen with A2. 

A3 and A4 will probably drop on grosses (not by very much like some people expect, but still a drop). But i'm hoping Cameron plan is strong enough so we can see an climax hype for A5, maybe with this one we can see a run similar to what A2 could've been in a better situation.

• Like 1

A2's performance is off-planet.

We've seen films come out the gate with massive openings and have somewhat impressive legs to generate massive totals.

We've seen films that have opened modestly and the developed amazing legs that got them to astronomical grosses relative to expectations.

I can't point to another film that opened "modestly," didn't exactly wow on its follow up weekend and then just came back with a complete vengeance to shatter all expectations. 

It's...Insane....

I mean.. this really seems to have at least $500m WW left in the tank to secure #3 of all-time globally which is just pretty incredible. At least $150m domestic and $350m internationally seems achievable, right?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Genuinely, the only thing stopping 2019 levels of overall box office are the lack of movies, that's pretty plain to see Jimbo. 

That's not really true. The bottom has really fallen out of the market, and its not for lack of titles, reduced demand for what used to be mid and lower tier release. A more robust release calendar can build it back up somewhat, but I don't think we're getting $10-$11B Domestic for a couple more years

• Like 1

Just now, druv10 said:

Avatar is up to 3.85 multi, already. 5 multi is happening! We can finally put to bed that WOM isn't great, nonsense. 

My anecdotal evidence says the WOM is worse than Top Gun Maverick because my mate got back from TGM and said that the jet scenes were awesome

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

If continues dropping an average of 30% weelly WW that will take over 450 M more, not enough to pass Titanic so it still needs some more epic drops from now...

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

So we have established over the last few pages that the fallout from the pandemic is over,and movie going is back to pre-pandemic levels.

Fine as long as people remember that the next time a Marvel or fanboy film underperforms, because i certainly will.

What would you call DS2 and Thor 4?