GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

How long before people actually accept that Comic Book movies can become TOO comicy.

Movies and Comics are different.

Lmao

I love Infinity War and Into the Spider-verse. And they were essentially comics come to life.

It comes down to execution. The last thing we need is for Hollywood to make every CBM grounded again.

• Like 1

The MCU has definitely peaked at Endgame. This will definitely to be frontloaded as the fanbase who loves MCU will show up to watch this movie OW and not anyone else. Heck the diehard fans don't exactly love this movie either. Can't blame them. This movie is just bad like most of the Phase 4 movies.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 1

Silliness is the problem. These movies are too childish now and that's embarassing from an audience perspective. 

1096ffaa922946df82ce1e18064755d5.gif

APYmz3.gif

Marvel saw the reception of these two scenes and decided to shape the whole MCU around that vibe. It's just too much. Too stupid. Too dumb. 

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 8
  • Disbelief 2

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao

I love Infinity War and Into the Spider-verse. And they were essentially comics come to life.

It comes down to execution. The last thing we need is for Hollywood to make every CBM grounded again.

I’ll be very honest that I didn’t think magical stones on a gauntlet would work for GA. Marvel made it work - the best thing about IW is there’s a single scene of exposition on what the stones are and then they just talk about ‘the stones’ and use visual clues for which ones Thanos uses.

you can absolutely take these concepts and make it work. Personally I don’t think a multiverse arc works, the multiverse should just exist and be tapped into (Spider-Man) when needed. Have Kang as a long term returning villain rather than ‘the big bad’.

6 hours ago, upriser7 said:

A2 lost only 22% of PLF shows (19K -> 15K). It lost higher % of shows than this during the Knock at the Cabin release weekend. It did lose all the 2,300 Imax shows though

And those are still big losses especially IMAX. The movie has been relying on those screens especially during weekends. I think DH's reported numbers are too good to be true, though. We'll see.

So Saturday is the day Way of Water takes down Jurassic World.  Scarcely believable for those here when its opening day figure came out.  Apt that it’ll happen this weekend when this thread is full of ‘MCU is in trouble’ mania.  We love an overreaction in these parts, and Avatar 2 was the definition. 

I’m seeing AM3 tomorrow, but even if I don’t like it I am certain GotG3 will be great and huge and everything will be rosy again.  In many ways they’re fortunate that’s the next film coming out.  

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

So Saturday is the day Way of Water takes down Jurassic World.  Scarcely believable for those here when its opening day figure came out.  Apt that it’ll happen this weekend when this thread is full of ‘MCU is in trouble’ mania.  We love an overreaction in these parts, and Avatar 2 was the definition. 

I’m seeing AM3 tomorrow, but even if I don’t like it I am certain GotG3 will be great and huge and everything will be rosy again.  In many ways they’re fortunate that’s the next film coming out.  

We all thought Love and Thunder was going to be a slam dunk until it wasn't so going to keep my hype in check.

• Like 1

I don't get those Guardians 3 1 bln predictions. I still remember people expected Guardians 2 to gross a billion, but it didn't even cross 900 mln. So why should Guardians 3 suddenly make a billion during much worse times, dead China and big genre/franchise decline? It needs to be better than its genre to pull this off and I don't think it will be, a good time at movies, maybe even really good time, but that's not enough to jump higher than its head and I don't see a huge public interest in it looking at trailers' stats.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

GotG3 won’t help their next projects which are far from slam dunks. GotG for such a central franchise to the MCU stands separate in the same way Spiderman does. 

I don’t know why some are acting like the current MCU situation has precedence in the franchise. It simply doesn’t.

GotG is likely it’s last outing with this talent pool. I don’t see how it’s likely success is encouraging.

My biggest concern right now is that our local distributor for Ant-Man 3 will see these numbers and decide it's ultimately not worth the trouble going through a theatrical release in my homeland. Much like Strange World in France, they might just skip straight to Disney+ here in order to dodge the mandated theatrical window here. It got pushed back to the 24th last week because of the earthquakes from last week, so they still have time to decide. Dear Evan Hansen and In the Heights were both slated for theatricial releases here before they got pulled shortly after they both bombed in the US.

• Sad 2

Calling Kevin Feige a hack is ridiculous. His comment about Captain Marvel being the strongest didn't reveal or ruin anything. Captain Marvel is the strongest according to the MCU and he was pandering to Twitter feminists. It's not that deep of a comment. 

When Disney announced all of those series I knew they were making a mistake. They were oversaturating the market and allocating resources to second rate shows that could have been used to make good movies. Also COVID, as well as help kill my Dad, hurt all film production. And it will continue to but not to the same degree. KF will try to turn it around but if he doesn't eventually the lackluster quality will start hurting box office numbers. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Calling Kevin Feige a hack is ridiculous. His comment about Captain Marvel being the strongest didn't reveal or ruin anything. Captain Marvel is the strongest according to the MCU and he was pandering to Twitter feminists. It's not that deep of a comment. 

When Disney announced all of those series I knew they were making a mistake. They were oversaturating the market and allocating resources to second rate shows that could have been used to make good movies. Also COVID, as well as help kill my Dad, hurt all film production. And it will continue to but not to the same degree. KF will try to turn it around but if he doesn't eventually the lackluster quality will start hurting box office numbers. 

I'd argue it is already is hurting box office numbers. None of the the Phase 4-5 MCU movies except the Spiderman movies has hit 1 billion. (And we can't overlook the fact that NWH had Tobey and Andrew back as Spiderman helping it out)

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

I'd argue it is already is hurting box office numbers. None of the the Phase 4-5 MCU movies except the Spiderman movies has hit 1 billion. (And we can't overlook the fact that NWH had Tobey and Andrew back as Spiderman helping it out)

The word of mouth definitely hurt MOM but it still made 950mil so like it's still a huge success. The box office numbers have to start getting legit lackluster for more movies than Eternals before the alarm can be sounded. As someone already said on here, It took Transformers ages before it lost its luster at the box office. 

Terrible start to Phase 5. Thought the first act was pretty good but then it became a formulaic mess. Probably one of MCU's worst script. I know that stakes were never high, but they way this multiverse thing is set up basically nothing matters. Anyone can do anything and anything can be reversed. The audience is getting tired of it and numbers starting to show. Spidey is the only ace left really. Rest of the MCU stuff going forward is just not interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

GotG3 won’t help their next projects which are far from slam dunks. GotG for such a central franchise to the MCU stands separate in the same way Spiderman does. 

I don’t know why some are acting like the current MCU situation has precedence in the franchise. It simply doesn’t.

GotG is likely it’s last outing with this talent pool. I don’t see how it’s likely success is encouraging.

because it’ll be the latest one. If it’s good and people really like it then there’ll be good will towards the next MCU film. 

Whilst I don’t disagree in the slightest that the MCU is more hit and miss than it’s ever been, I see writing it’s obituary as madness at this point.  

I’m also getting really tired of the ‘Feige hasn’t been as involved as he used to be’ excuse as to the reason for the hit and miss ratio. The guy was central to Dark World, Iron Man 2, Ultron. They were the early days. It’s such rose-tinted glasses. 

They have never been consistently great, and as others have pointed out…many of them wildly overrated.

37 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The word of mouth definitely hurt MOM but it still made 950mil so like it's still a huge success. The box office numbers have to start getting legit lackluster for more movies than Eternals before the alarm can be sounded. As someone already said on here, It took Transformers ages before it lost its luster at the box office. 

If something should raise the alarm, that's their prized BPWF dropping so badly. 1.3B to 855M drop is bad, no way around it. You can blame losing Chadwick and World Cup all you want but the truth is that a character they want to be BP going forward isn't what fans want. Also, the franchise has always been a domestic thing, hence continuing its ratio that skews dom even with China. There's no excuse for OS this bad now that it got China run which other movies didn't have. But when talking about disappointing Phase 4 boxoffice, this one is always swept under the rug even though the movie was hella expensive. And we are talking about a movie that got strong reveiws (not as strong as the first but strong anyway you slice it) and awards buzz for Bassett.

@wildphantom

I’m also getting really tired of the ‘Feige hasn’t been as involved as he used to be’ excuse as to the reason for the hit and miss ratio. The guy was central to Dark World, Iron Man 2, Ultron. They were the early days. It’s such rose-tinted glasses.

This. He picked people to delegate handling of MCU. He picked wrong. Also, he has history of bad movies that were saved by complient critics who gave them a pass. And lets not forget that completely unnecessary Eternals was entitely his Oscar hubris. He believed he had Best Picture winner with that one. So the guy certainly wasn't without a fault.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2