GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

3 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

What leak? The film isn’t even written yet.

It also hasn't been re-written yet, then shot, then re-shot with an uncredited screenwriter comes into punch up the dialogue or something...

Anyway, I know this is literally impossible, but my advice to Feige would be to go completely silent for a full year. No movies, no shows, no marketing, no hype. Just pick a year soon, delay the properties a full year in conjunction with the production slowdown. Ideally Guardians 3 would be a great last film for a year, but earliest plausibly would be after The Marvels/Loki Season 2/Secret Invasion. Fill that gap year with those animated shows, What If, X-Men 97, and Zombies on D+.

I think a Marvel cleanse in the public consciousness is what would be beneficial to the long-term health of the MCU. It's not just about the quality/reception of the individual properties anymore. The whole narrative of MCU discussion is off the rails. Online, in person, among fans, among casual moviegoers. It's been building for years.

A hard, clean break. That's what we need. Push out the schedule for a year and go radio silent, then start slowly building the marketing for Cap 4/Thunderbolts, which are clearly intended as a 1-2 punch. Again, literally impossible, but would be for the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Going to predict the Marvel movies because I’m bored:

Quantumania: 108/123/250/540

Guardians: 170/435/875

Marvels (assuming decent reviews 60%+ on RT/A- CinemaScore): 120/300/750

New World Order (same Marvels criteria, and this is assuming it’s a psuedo Hulk movie): 135/335/700

Thunderbolts (same criteria as Marvels): 70/190/400

Blade (etc): 65/180/365

F4: 115/135/300/650

Kang Dynasty: 210/450/1300

The way the MCU is becoming more and more domestic heavy and China being not a huge factor anymore (apparently), I think a 1.3B Worldwide would lead to more like a 500-550M domestic (38-42% domestic split).

Also I think New World Order is going to be a disappointment. I don't see any hype whatsoever for Sam Wilson as Captain America. Marvel loyal fans will watch it as always, but I am not sure if the GA will be interested by this, I think it will do Quantumania numbers (500M-600M).

Edited by Flamengo81

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Quantumania looking at a WW total between the first and second movies. Considering the lack of Russia and China not giving a shit anymore its actually fine.

not really.  I don’t think you spend more money to get a lower return. I think Marvel/Disney we’re probably hoping for 700m+

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

It also hasn't been re-written yet, then shot, then re-shot with an uncredited screenwriter comes into punch up the dialogue or something...

Anyway, I know this is literally impossible, but my advice to Feige would be to go completely silent for a full year. No movies, no shows, no marketing, no hype. Just pick a year soon, delay the properties a full year in conjunction with the production slowdown. Ideally Guardians 3 would be a great last film for a year, but earliest plausibly would be after The Marvels/Loki Season 2/Secret Invasion. Fill that gap year with those animated shows, What If, X-Men 97, and Zombies on D+.

I think a Marvel cleanse in the public consciousness is what would be beneficial to the long-term health of the MCU. It's not just about the quality/reception of the individual properties anymore. The whole narrative of MCU discussion is off the rails. Online, in person, among fans, among casual moviegoers. It's been building for years.

A hard, clean break. That's what we need. Push out the schedule for a year and go radio silent, then start slowly building the marketing for Cap 4/Thunderbolts, which are clearly intended as a 1-2 punch. Again, literally impossible, but would be for the best.

"A year off" wouldn't help with resetting the "narrative/discourse" nor lead to any sort of "cleanse".

-signed, SW fan who has seen people bitching about things since 1999 1997 1983 1980.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hell will freeze before Disney decides to release no Marvel films in a single year, I know it happened in 2020 but that was the exception due to the pandemic . It's just as crazy as the suggestion someone had that WB should have no DC films for five years. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"A year off" wouldn't help with resetting the "narrative/discourse" nor lead to any sort of "cleanse".

-signed, SW fan who has seen people bitching about things since 1999 1997 1983 1980.

To put this a different way...

The way to "reset"/"cleanse" the narrative is to.. release popular products.

Releasing nothing just sets angry fans against each other as they blame their favorite scapegoats/targets as to why there is a break.  Can see it right now in SW fandom on the film side as even though Lucasfilm has every reason in the world to get its ducks in order before officially greenlighting their next film, the lack of films hasn't exactly done much to quell... discourse when it comes to SW films.  Just the opposite, actually.

Conversely, over on the TV side of things SW discourse generally depends on... just how popularly received the latest TV series was.  Fandom was in A Good Place post Mando S1 and S2 (along with TCW S7) and in a... less good place post Boba Fett/Kenobi only to rebound to being in a great place post Andor.

Now if the reason to take a "time out" is to make sure the projects are good/great/reach an exacting standard, that's one thing. Still very unlikely, naturally (taking more time on products, however, appears to be in the cards).

But I don't think a break from the MCU would help much when it comes to discourse surrounding Marvel properties. And it ain't just SW that serves as an example, but pretty much all long running franchises across various media.

tl;dr: To paraphrase a statement about speech, the solution to bad discourse is not less discourse, but good discourse.  And one of the sure fire ways of getting good discourse is to release popular things.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, fmpro said:

Says who?

Harrison Ford signed on as Red Hulk months ago, and The Leader returning with a plan to make gamma monsters when this project was announced.

Edited by YM!

Marvel isn't taking a long hiatus, nor should they. I could see a small 3 year hiatus after the Multiverse saga with only tv shows being released and a temporary pause on movie production (I think Feige and co learned from the mistakes of phase 4 and won't press their feet on the acceleration right after a saga) 

11 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Marvel isn't taking a long hiatus, nor should they. I could see a small 3 year hiatus after the Multiverse saga with only tv shows being released and a temporary pause on movie production (I think Feige and co learned from the mistakes of phase 4 and won't press their feet on the acceleration right after a saga) 

I think they should take a 3 year hiatus from tv shows. That's what started this whole mess to begin with. 

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I think they should take a 3 year hiatus from tv shows. That's what started this whole mess to begin with. 

I agree with you, but the MCU franchise is too lucrative for Disney to halt all activities for 3 years. In the pre-streaming age, I think they would've taken a complete hiatus, but with the ongoing streaming wars, demand for content is just too much. 

Finally saw Puss in Boots this weekend.

I was expecting it to be good, given the WOM and box office performance, but I wasn't expecting it to slay me that hard! Probably my favorite animated movie of the past 5 years. I hope it can reach $500m, it deserves more money than any Marvel film last year. 

Inspired me to go and rewatch some DreamWorks faves.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

52 minutes ago, DTP said:

Finally saw Puss in Boots this weekend.

I was expecting it to be good, given the WOM and box office performance, but I wasn't expecting it to slay me that hard! Probably my favorite animated movie of the past 5 years. I hope it can reach $500m, it deserves more money than any Marvel film last year. 

Inspired me to go and rewatch some DreamWorks faves.

Yeah. This movie is incredible, Top 3 best Dreamworks movies ever IMO.

• Like 3