Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (2/27-3/2) | Cocaine Bear's #1 on Wednesday. America's got a drug problem!

12 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Dude, I like those movies too, but they aren't "prestige cinema" by any stretch of the imagination. They're just fun, well-made toy commercials that got hyped up and are popular because of nostalgia and flashy spectacle. They aren't highbrow features for intellectuals and aren't any different from the design and appeal of those Marvel pieces people are trying to shade. Those movies just executed it better.

If anything, people are more averse and appalled than ever to actual prestige cinema judging by the godawful numbers of Fabelmans and The Northman.

that's not true... u can actually see the effort on Avatar 2 or Top Gun 2. The VFX or stunts etc are among the best ever. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

that's not true... u can actually see the effort on Avatar 2 or Top Gun 2. The VFX or stunts etc are among the best ever. 

That doesn't make them prestige cinema, it just makes them high quality blockbusters

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 14

24 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Dude, I like those movies too, but they aren't "prestige cinema" by any stretch of the imagination. They're just fun, well-made toy commercials that got hyped up and are popular because of nostalgia and flashy spectacle. They aren't highbrow features for intellectuals and aren't any different from the design and appeal of those Marvel pieces people are trying to shade. Those movies just executed it better.

If anything, people are more averse and appalled than ever to actual prestige cinema judging by the godawful numbers of Fabelmans and The Northman.

Avatar 2 is about to make 2.3 billies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

FSoG only made $35M after its second Monday. 

With Creed coming in and taking its IMAX and most of the Premium screens I would expect another big fall this weekend. Creed's reviews so far are really strong (90% positive overall and 89% among Top critics).

Could it fall something like 60%? That would be around $12.8M. FSoG made $10.6M its third weekend.

AM&W did a $16.5M 3rd weekend, I imagine it will come in well below that.

Ant Man is getting destroyed for showings at my 1st local's set...

18 showings last weekend to 7 this weekend (1 premium, 6 regular)...

And hilariously, Cocaine Bear kept its full 2 screens/8 showings from last weekend...bring on the upset!  

For the record, Creed is getting 3 screens (8 premium showings, 4 regular).

And Creed TMobile deal is live...$5 tickets if you can find a friend with a plan...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Ant-man is losing all Dolby and most of Imax as well. Will start seeing the impact from wednesday onwards as Creed has shows in big markets on wednesday. Thursday/Friday will be the real test. Of course Aint man is not must watch on PLF and so I expect standard 2d shows to pick up the slack from this friday onwards. 

• Like 1

Daily Domestic Chart for Monday February 27, 2023

Movie Title Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) Ant-Man and the Wasp: Qua… $1,721,699 -81% -88% 4,345 $396 $168,801,086 11
2 (2) Cocaine Bear $1,652,600 -71%   3,534 $468 $24,913,390 4
3 (3) Jesus Revolution $1,386,314 -67%   2,475 $560 $17,268,381 4

See the full daily chart

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like Deadline haven't come down from their high

with monday actuals already out I dont see why anyone would dare predict anything outside the 12-15  million range

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

59 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like Deadline haven't come down from their high

Anthony delivers once again on the nonsense. His spin can't stop, won't stop.

6 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

It's time for MCU to take things seriously, in the era where audience' have got the taste of High quality blockbuster cinema like Avatar Way of Water, Top Gun Maverick, Jurassic World Domination, Puss In Boots 2, mediocre products like Phase 4 & 5 won't fly.

Just wanted to contribute to comment count.

Anyways, points still stands, leave aside JWD, it was bad, you can't have Ant Man and Thor 4 when audience are getting Top Gun and Avatar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

That doesn't make them prestige cinema, it just makes them high quality blockbusters

"Prestige cinema" is a pretentious phrase, great movie is a great movie no matter the genre.

5 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

In what universe Maverick is a toy commercial? Just because it has cool planes and some merch every big budget movie has doesn't mean it exists just to market toys and stuff, it's absurd take. The design is very different besides them being spectacles and blockbusters. MCU is episodic in nature, every movie is an episode of one series basically, most of them don't stand on their own and many of them exist just to market cinematic universe, toys, future crossovers and spin-off shows, they are often artistically bankrupt, look and feel the same, and have nothing to say even by the genre standards. Top Gun 2, Avatar 2 and I assume Puss 2 (didn't watch it yet) are the opposite of that, they are self-contained movies despite being sequels that stand on their own, don't market cinematic universe/crossovers, don't serve as trailers for future trailers, toys are not the main reason they exist and some of them even have something to say. If you add to that exceptional craft across the board and creative/artistic value, the difference is the world and shade you're talking about looks more than justified.

And by the way, MCU has some good movies, it's not like everything they made was bad and incredibly cynical, but everything they did after Endgame amplified their worst habbits that were always there.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1