Cabin in the Woods

59 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It doesn't quite match Drag Me to Hell, but it's still an interesting film that manages to entertain throughout. Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of scariness or intensity, and at times it does feel a bit too tongue-in-cheek and self-aware. I enjoyed it though.......but give me Slither or Drag Me to Hell first.

B+/B

How anybody finds the ending to be dropping the ball baffles me. Everything after they go down the elevator is fucking gold. The shot of all the horror villains massacring everybody has stuck with me for days, and I can't help but smile every time it comes back.9/10

yeah I love everything after the elevator too. It adds to all the great stuff before it. Like I said before "death by unicorn" is awesome :P

It doesn't quite match Drag Me to Hell, but it's still an interesting film that manages to entertain throughout. Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of scariness or intensity, and at times it does feel a bit too tongue-in-cheek and self-aware. I enjoyed it though.......but give me Slither or Drag Me to Hell first.

B+/B

Hmm... we usually agree on everything, but I would take this over DMTH and Slither (which I still enjoyed) every day.

I went to see it again today. My B- grade stays unchanged. I didn't hate the ending as much but at the same time the beginning didn't hold up as well for me.The biggest difference was crowd reaction though. Friday's crowd liked it but today's straight up hated it by the end. Initial reaction was good but as the movie starting winding down people started making negative remarks but the best was to come afterwards. There was a group of friends who were in the row in front of me and half of the row I was in. After the movie they spent a few minutes arguing among themselves over who had picked the movie. That was pissing me off a little because their asses were blocking my exit and I couldn't leave but I happened to look around a little and what I saw made my day. A lady in the row behind me was sitting and pretty much refusing to move and she was giving her boyfriend (I think) the nastiest look and he was trying to say it wasn't his fault she didn't enjoy the movie. The Cabin In The Woods: Destroying friendships and breaking up relationships.The movie : mehThe butthurt after: priceless

Edited by glassfairy

Yeah, definitely unique film here. The third act was absolutely insane and utterly unexpected. Don't know where I rank this so far, but it's getting a good grade from me. I have to say, though, the last shot of the film was atrocious.

Yeah, definitely unique film here. The third act was absolutely insane and utterly unexpected. Don't know where I rank this so far, but it's getting a good grade from me. I have to say, though, the last shot of the film was atrocious.

No, it's camp at its campiest! Love it, such a perfect last shot for a movie like this! :P

Well... that wasn't what I expected going in! It's a little tough to talk about The Cabin in the Woods without giving away its most enticing secrets, but it's necessary because the less a viewer knows going in, the more likely he or she is to have a blast with it. With deft juxtaposition of horror with comedy, director Drew Goddard and co-screenwriter Joss Whedon have fashioned an immensely entertaining ride that never fails to go into interesting directions, has a consistently clever sense of self-awareness, and saves its craziest material for the final fifteen minutes. It won't be for everyone given how odd it is, but it's the most enjoyable horror movie I've seen since Drag Me to Hell and the wildest, most demented fun I've had at a movie in 2012 to date.

A-

Saw it last night and basically agree with this review right here. What a funny, entertaining, bat-shit crazy ride! Unfortunately seeing a couple of trailers for it ruined some of the surprises (the sci-fi, twisted truman-show angle and worst was I had remembered the scene from the trailer where Dana and Marty are in the elevator going down, so I knew Marty comes back).

But I enjoyed the whole thing (good writing, directing and acting too), and the insane ending didn't bother me at all (minus the so-so sfx/cgi). Definitely highly recommended for anyone looking for a blast at the movies.

A-/B+

Also, if they needed a scholar, an athlete, a whore, a virgin and a fool why go to a class of 9 years olds in Japan?

They say in the film that the requirements are different in every culture. If you watch an American horror movie, you have certain expectations. Whereas if you watch a Japanese horror movie, you have a different set of expectations.

Cool movie... Very entertaining and funny, but hardly scary. This reminded me of a Scream-Hunger Games hybrid. Thought it was really cool how they managed to include every horror movie monster at the end wreaking havoc, my favorite had to be the killer unicorn. :lol: Also LOVED Thor's death.... he had the typical dramatic monologue about how they're going to survive, get revenge, do it for the fallen friends, and then he drives off a cliff straight into a invisible wall! LOLMaybe it was a little too hyped up around here but I didn't exactly leave the theater thinking it was crazy-shocking-epic, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I don't know why people would complain about the ending, it's right in line with the ridiculous, cheeky tone of the rest of the movie. I loved how the two "survivors" were just chillin smoking a joint and joking about the impending doom of the planet.Also- my biggest "WTF" moment of the movie might have been the appearance of Sigourney Weaver. Where the hell did she come from?!

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I tried explaining the twists to a friend who isn't going to see the movie, and all I got was a series of really confused stares. :lol:

I think one of the biggest strengths of the film is the fact that it keeps on adding little twists throughout instead of just going for one big reveal at the end (and given the intricacy of what was going on, there's no friggin' way they could have pulled off saving all the meta material for the final act, even if they'd wanted to go in that direction). It definitely kept me on my toes all the way up until the end.