Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

2 minutes ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/box-office-dungeons-dragons-1235314579/

Top five pics:

1.) Dungeons & Dragons (Par) 3,855 theaters, Fri $16M, 3-day $30M/Wk 1

2.) John Wick Chapter 4 (LG) 3,855 theaters, Fri $8.2M (-72%), 3-day $30M (-59%), Total $124.6M/Wk 2

3.) His Only Son (Angel) 1,920 theaters, Fri $2.1M, 3-day $5.8M/Wk 1

4.) Creed III (MGM) 2,827 theaters, Fri $1.5M, 3-day $5.2M (-37%), Total $148.7M/Wk 5

5.) Scream VI (Par) 3,106 theaters, Fri $1.4M (-42%), 3-day $4.6M (-44%), Total $97.5M/Wk 4

Shazam 2 going for that sub 2x multiplier

1 hour ago, Eric is Norlar Aver said:

I've really come to dislike the "they should have made it cheaper" argument. I know people say this with good intentions and wanting to see movies succeed, but cutting out 50M or whatever out of a movie really does hurt a film creatively and would have probably led to a whole action sequence being cut or the film just looking worse visually and aesthetically. Plus the timeline from greenlight to release is very long and arduous and studio execs don't have a crystal ball to know what's a hit or not. Studios have to sometimes take a risk and put a little extra money in something if they want bigger rewards. If Paramount execs in 2007 decided Transformers or whatever should be cut down 50M because it's an "unproven property", then I don't think we would have gotten any sequels.

Agreed. 

Also, people that get upset when they hear an actors salary and complain that they're not one of the three or four people that meets their definition of a box office draw.

In their view, no studio should make a film until Tom Cruise or Hanks sign on, and they should take a pay cut to make the studios job easier.

• Like 1

So, if it's $16M Friday with $5.6M in previews, that means a $40M weekend would be:

Previews $5.6m

Fri $10.4m

Sat $13.5m (+30%)

Sun $10.5m (-22%)

Not saying it can't happen, but $40m is still a tough hurdle to climb, depending on who is in the audience makeup... 

• Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, if it's $16M Friday with $5.6M in previews, that means a $40M weekend would be:

Previews $5.6m

Fri $10.4m

Sat $13.5m (+30%)

Sun $10.5m (-22%)

Not saying it can't happen, but $40m is still a tough hurdle to climb, depending on who is in the audience makeup... 

It's important to be cautious, but, deadline being aggressive on the $40M tells me that they may be short selling the Friday number. We'll see what comes out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone else does this or it's just me, but every once in a while I like to check my profile on here and see how many :hahaha:I've received. Then I sit back in satisfaction like "oh good, that's how many times I've made people blow air out of their nose in mild amusement on the internet."

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not sure if anyone else does this or it's just me, but every once in a while I like to check my profile on here and see how many :hahaha:I've received. Then I sit back in satisfaction like "oh good, that's how many times I've made people blow air out of their nose in mild amusement on the internet."

wow i didn't even know that was a thing. really gonna try to start farming more:capmads now.

• Knock It Off 9

29 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

As much as i would like to say yes, I would say no unless the international numbers come in way above estimates.

I want a “sadly agree” emote.

• Sad 2

D&D having great walkups tonight everywhere I look. I’ve already mentioned it’s over indexed a bit, but the location that did equivalent 4.3M (true thursday) previews just did 13.5M equivalent true friday. Similar % increases in 3 other markets, that put it at 12M, 13.2M, and 13.6M true Friday.

Unless Canada is some weird anomaly, I’d say this can hit 40 with ease.

It’s also a lot of fun. Really really enjoyed it.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'll take a small win if these numbers can hold domestically, even if the international market is tanking.

Is it possible the revenue split on this will be reversed to something like 60/40 domestic/international?

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

D&D having great walkups tonight everywhere I look. I’ve already mentioned it’s over indexed a bit, but the location that did equivalent 4.3M (true thursday) previews just did 13.5M equivalent true friday. Similar % increases in 3 other markets, that put it at 12M, 13.2M, and 13.6M true Friday.

It’s also a lot of fun. Really really enjoyed it.

it is over indexing big time. Good news is that means US will under index a bit. I am not seeing true friday that is different from Deadline estimates. Hope I am wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1