Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

And you know how Disney competes with the NCU. Awaken the sleeping giant known as Kingdom Hearts.

Market it as a grand adventure through classic Disney Worlds(2 or 3) and also have it be marketed as the big return of Disney juggernauts Mickey Mouse, Donald, and Goofy to the big screen. Kids would eat that shit up for breakfast and so would parents not even knowing what Kingdom Hearts is or who Sora is.

KEEP NOMURA FAR, FAR, FAR, AWAY

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

Super Mario about To Make More then Superman Ever Will

I mean...Superman came out in the 70s. Would be surprising if it wouldn't with inflation and all that.

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

And you know how Disney competes with the NCU. Awaken the sleeping giant known as Kingdom Hearts.

Market it as a grand adventure through classic Disney Worlds(1 and 2) and also have it be the big return of Disney juggernauts Mickey Mouse, Donald, and Goofy to the big screen. Kids would eat that shit up for breakfast and so would parents not even knowing what Kingdom Hearts is or who Sora is.

I do not envy the poor sap who has to make a coherent movie story out of that mess lmao

6 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

I envy the poor sap who has to make a coherent movie story out of that mess lmao

The first game is actually pretty simple to understand. It's KH2 where it goes to another level...

Also you act as if the Mario movie had a story...

Edited by Cappoedameron

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Deadline and their math !!! They are saying 22m+ for 53.5m over 2 days plus 92 million over 3 day weekend for 141m total !!!!!

I dont know how they do the math for 3 day from 22m thursday(I think that is going up as well. Now I am in charlie's boat for a sub 25% drop). PS for tomorrow is up more than double from today and walkups will be better than today. its almost like a saturday. 

Deadline math. 

141M 5-day projection

92M 3-day projection

31.7M Wed + ~22M Thurs = 53.7M 

53.7M + 92M = 145.7M 5-day

Somethings not right here. Partitioning their 5-day prediction of 141M with the 53.7M made in the first two days yields an 87.3M 3-day weekend not a 92M one. And adding the 92M 3-day projection to the 53.7M made in the first 2 days yields a 146M 5-day not a 141M one. 

Is it just me or does Deadline not know how to do basic addition and subtraction?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

People already proclaiming a 'NCU' are honestly putting the cart before the horse. Breakdown why Mario worked vs Detective Pikachu first.

Detective Pikachu wasn't loyal to the IP. Mario was. I think Last of Us further enforces this point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

Detective Pikachu wasn't loyal to the IP. Mario was. I think Last of Us further enforces this point

Detective Pikachu got great reception from its trailers, better critical reception, and was pretty much 1:1 to the Detective Pikachu games. There's more to it than just that.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

People already proclaiming a 'NCU' are honestly putting the cart before the horse. Breakdown why Mario worked vs Detective Pikachu first.

Because Super Mario Bros delivered what the Games/Brand is all about and Warner for whatever reason thought it was a good idea to just ignore Ash on his adventure to catch them all as the main selling point. 

Just now, Poseidon said:

Because Super Mario Bros delivered what the Games/Brand is all about and Warner for whatever reason thought it was a good idea to just ignore Ash on his adventure to catch them all as the main selling point. 

Wasn't Warner when Detective Pikachu was made (Was Universal, Universal just let it go) and Pokemon Company was who mandated the Detective Pikachu storyline.

Since everyone is talking about potential adaptations of franchises, my dream come true for a videogame adaptation would be a Red Dead Redemption movie. In an ideal world it would be a masterpiece like the games, explode at the box office and revitalize the Western genre once again. 

*As a bonus it could also have a soundtrack with real Country&Western Music and introduce it to the mainstream of today that only knows the trash Nashville puts out. But that is dreaming WAY too much 😔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Kingdom Hearts is probably very difficult to do because of the various ownership issues with Square Enix and I suspect it'd make a better live action movie than an animated movie. 

I think it'd be very difficult to do because the story is pure nonsense 

20 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Market it as a grand adventure through classic Disney Worlds(2 or 3) and also have it be marketed as the big return of Disney juggernauts Mickey Mouse, Donald, and Goofy to the big screen. Kids would eat that shit up for breakfast and so would parents not even knowing what Kingdom Hearts is or who Sora is.

Seriously I kinda want them to make a Mickey Mouse movie just to see the box office. He's by far the most recognizable cartoon character and WDAS is a strong brand (for now Strange World seems more like an exception rather than a law to me) so it should be a success but by how much? How much can he sell on THE BIG SCREEN? 

10 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Nah. A movie needs to break out from just fans of the IP to truly catch on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Detective Pikachu got great reception from its trailers, better critical reception, and was pretty much 1:1 to the Detective Pikachu games. There's more to it than just that.

How much of the general public have played or even heard about Detective Pikachu before the movie? A more traditional Pokemon movie would have done much better. For what it was its box office was quite good IMHO. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Since everyone is talking about potential adaptations of franchises, my dream come true for a videogame adaptation would be a Red Dead Redemption movie. In an ideal world it would be a masterpiece like the games, explode at the box office and revitalize the Western genre once again. 

*As a bonus it could also have a soundtrack with real Country&Western Music and introduce it to the mainstream of today that only knows the trash Nashville puts out. But that is dreaming WAY too much 😔

Rockstar would need to be convinced, they are very protective of their IP.

It's surprising that WB hasn't really delved into adapting more games aside from Mortal Kombat and Rampage, they've got Minecraft coming in 2025 but that's it really. Something like Spy Hunter would be a solid film 

Imagine if Universal did a live action Super Mario movie where a CGI Mario is voiced by a sarcastic Ryan Reynolds and has a no name actor as a sidekick.

Shit woulda made 44m over the 5-day.

Probably would've had a bigger budget too. :hahaha:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

How much of the general public have played or even heard about Detective Pikachu before the movie? A more traditional Pokemon movie would have done much better. For what it was its box office was quite good IMHO. 

Except we have no way of knowing that is my point. I don't think we can just easily go "Oh if it had the plot of the games it would've done well" when like there wasn't really any chatter about that online and Detective Pikachu's trailers still have some of the highest views of any trailer ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

they didn't get it wrong

they just reviewed the movie using different parameters 

Sure, but some critics do approach movies based on video games with a level of derision/bafflement that seems...unprofessional isn't the right word, but if their attitudes towards all things gaming are still stuck in 1993, are they the right people to review Super Mario?

That was a positive review, actually. But with certain genres critics approach the movies and fans with a hostility/disdain/bemusement that just drips out. The fans can spot it and are probably reacting poorly to that along with the reviews being negative.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl