Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

19 minutes ago, Mulder said:

People already proclaiming a 'NCU' are honestly putting the cart before the horse. Breakdown why Mario worked vs Detective Pikachu first.

Honestly not every adaptation should be made on a $150M budget with expectations to break records like DP. I could easily see an animated movie on a budget of $60-75M of Splatoon, Kirby or Star Fox becoming profitable.

6 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Seriously I kinda want them to make a Mickey Mouse movie just to see the box office. He's by far the most recognizable cartoon character and WDAS is a strong brand (for now Strange World seems more like an exception rather than a law to me) so it should be a success but by how much? How much can he sell on THE BIG SCREEN? 

I think Mickey suffers from the same issue as the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. Fantastic in short form but difficult to scale up for a film. Disney weirdly has done more longer form with the likes of Goofy and Donald on TV but they're reluctant to do it with Mickey.

Just now, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Honestly not every adaptation should be made on a $150M budget with expectations to break records like DP. I could easily see an animated movie on a budget of $60-75M of Splatoon, Kirby or Star Fox becoming profitable.

Kirby does have the advantage of having been in anime but he's nowhere near as popular as Mario. 

I could see Sony adapt Jak and Daxter given it's a Naughty Dog IP but nowhere has the sales of the likes of Zelda, Mario etc that could translate into a blockbuster family film franchise. 

3 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Mario was only made for 50 million less at minimum. That's my point here. Does any non-Pokemon Nintendo brand (Which was also the one to crash and burn in comparison to Sonic and Mario) even have the clout among the General Audience and kids to match the level of intense love and widespread appeal?

Edited by Mulder

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Mario was only made for 50 million less at minimum. That's my point here. Does any non-Pokemon Nintendo brand (Which was also the one to crash and burn in comparison to Sonic and Mario) even have the clout among the General Audience and kids to match the level of intense love and widespread appeal?

Zelda and Animal Crossing are the only two with mainstream appeal.

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Rockstar would need to be convinced, they are very protective of their IP.

It's surprising that WB hasn't really delved into adapting more games aside from Mortal Kombat and Rampage, they've got Minecraft coming in 2025 but that's it really. Something like Spy Hunter would be a solid film 

Yeah, but Nintendo is even more protective and yet here we are. I think it's possible, but I see your point.

About Warner, aside from MK I don't know other game properties they have right now.

For a Hollywood would try to make a video game movie golden age and it fell flat every time.

Everything from Assassin's Creed to Need for Speed to Warcraft.

Mario is that rare IP that 90% of people know about or played and has stayed relevant for around 4 decades.

Only stuff like Batman and Spider-man can compare.

Most video game movies will get weak results like always.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Kirby does have the advantage of having been in anime but he's nowhere near as popular as Mario. 

I could see Sony adapt Jak and Daxter given it's a Naughty Dog IP but nowhere has the sales of the likes of Zelda, Mario etc that could translate into a blockbuster family film franchise. 

Is a trap to search for characters as well know as Mario because the only gaming character as well know as Mario is Pac-Man, and a Pac-Man adaptation for sure wouldn't hit a billion...

There is more to look into an adaptation than just how popular it is to general audiences, otherwise it wouldn't make sense Rampage doing almost double of Assassin's Creed or for Uncharted doing more than Angry Birds.

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Yeah, but Nintendo is even more protective and yet here we are. I think it's possible, but I see your point.

About Warner, aside from MK I don't know other game properties they have right now.

Mario was probably from Nintendo's POV, easier to adapt into an animated film. Zelda, Metroid etc are not going to be something Illumination would touch because it's not in their wheelhouse, 

Red Dead probably is more likely to become a film than GTA because the latter would attract the wrong attention.

40 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Since everyone is talking about potential adaptations of franchises, my dream come true for a videogame adaptation would be a Red Dead Redemption movie. In an ideal world it would be a masterpiece like the games, explode at the box office and revitalize the Western genre once again. 

*As a bonus it could also have a soundtrack with real Country&Western Music and introduce it to the mainstream of today that only knows the trash Nashville puts out. But that is dreaming WAY too much 😔

Red Dead and GTA would be my dream gaming adaptation turned movie or TV show

GTA would probably be the highest grossing R rated film ever if it were ever made. GTA is HUGE among Gen Z and Millennials 

22 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Not really. Nintendo did that Super Mario movie after all and Illumination is definitely not known for quality. Rockstar actually refused an offer to do GTA movie directed by Tony Scott starring Eminem back when GTA wasn't as huge as it is today, and I think Houser brothers adored Scott since his work clearly influenced their games, but they still refused do it even with him and fat paycheck.

Edited by Firepower

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Red Dead and GTA would be my dream gaming adaptation turned movie or TV show

GTA would probably be the highest grossing R rated film ever if it were ever made. GTA is HUGE among Gen Z and Millennials 

The thing about GTA is how they would make a movie that appears distinct than your regular crime or action movie. You could say the same for Red Dead about differiating itself from a "regular" western movie, but Red Dead is much more plot-focused and has a much better story, so just "copying" the story would be enough to make an epic movie or movies.
GTA is a big satire on american culture much more focused on the fun and humour, which I find more difficult to adapt and set itself apart from other comedy-action movies.

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Mickey suffers from the same issue as the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. Fantastic in short form but difficult to scale up for a film. Disney weirdly has done more longer form with the likes of Goofy and Donald on TV but they're reluctant to do it with Mickey.

True, story wise it would have a problem with his personality, but box office wise there's a difference: WDAS it's not Warner Animation, if it's 3D animated and gets the kind of marketing that they give to their other movies I find it hard for it to go under $500M. Also if we're talking about cinematic universes, it has potential, Donald, Goofy, Minnie and Daisy aren't on his level but still more popular than like 95% of cartoon characters specially the first three.