Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Not saying this is impossible as history is meant to be defied, but only two movies (TGM and Avatar 2) have ever gotten a multiplier higher than 4x after opening over $100 million 3-day. I wouldn't bet on it personally, but we'll know by the end of next weekend if those kind of legs are in play or if it will follow a more reasonable trajectory. 

Didn't original Wonder Woman do that, too?

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

i think Minions 2 was the actual big post covid event for kids movies, but yeah Mario is doubling down on it 

and Illumination is probably finishing some exceptional deals as we speak while Disney is probably trying to buy some games right to make an animation for them

Disney don't need to adapt games for animated films, live action maybe but not animation. 

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Didn't original Wonder Woman do that, too?

takes some rounding up from something stupid like 3.99

if it makes you feel any better they re-released it during 2020 (maybe to get it to 4) but it only got to 3.997

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Man I wish we had that in America. Adult-only screenings seem like a dream come true.

Wait... edibles aren't legal in the States? Obviously not in certain states but I assumed in at least some. 

There's a reason Universal wanted to release Trolls 2 on April 20 :lol: 

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Wait... edibles aren't legal in the States? Obviously not in certain states but I assumed in at least some. 

No they're legal. I actually took an edible to see Avatar with my brother. I was talking about the 18+ showing. I'm assuming this means you have to be 18 or older to attend, which sounds amazing to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

No they're legal. I actually took an edible to see Avatar with my brother. I was talking about the 18+ showing. I'm assuming this means you have to be 18 or older to attend, which sounds amazing to me.

Correct. No one under 18 can attend, even with parental supervision. 

I thought perhaps Alamo Drafthouse did something similar in the US, but that isn’t a large chain from what I know.

1 hour ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Seeing movies like Mario in the theater is always a nice reaffirmation that I never, ever, ever want to have kids in my life.

Seeing Mario today with my nephew and niece gave me the same reaffirmation because holy kids can get tiring during a movie like this

• Haha 1

And the blow up continues - other local Cinemark has now also stolen a full screen for Mario for today through the rest of the weekend (both now over 5 screens each - this one is 5.5) - JW3 lost it here, and now has 4 showings.  Tough to be a long movie with only 3 showings possible when the hit movie can fit 5 in the same time...

PS - And actually everything this afternoon and tonight has had showings ripped away and looks like they are in the process of the reallocation as I speak - Shazam has dropped to 1 showing, Creed 3 has dropped to 3 showings, JW4 to 4...only holdover unscathed SO FAR is DnD...Saturday is a bloodbath for everything not named Mario (and Air) and previously available showings...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

well, there are certain  circumstances that make dunking on the Mario movie particularly fun

I am a big Nintendo fan (ask my wii u), but I've found the trailers to be dreadful (looked like the most 50 on Metacritic movie of all time), but apparently, I belong to a very small minority. Because trailer making is an art most studios are very competent in, it's very rare for me to end up with a dramatically different opinion than mainstream audiences in regards to a trailer's quality. 

Its the "me against the world" protecting the sanctity of cinema (ok the sanctity of cinema part is a bit of a joke), that makes my "hate-on" an entertaining experience

The movie has already succeeded and I have lost the fight (I still have the MC score for cope though), but I can still get some fun out of it by teasing those that think that this getting 3x legs off the 5-day is the base scenario and not an insane accomplishment  

Lol just give it up, this whole "gentleman" speak isn't funny. 

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know it's bad to say but kids are annoying and it's worse when the parents just let them do whatever they like. 

Parents can be worse than children. When I watched Puss In Boots TLW, kids were behaving properly but parents were using their phones for almost the whole movie