Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'm not sure why people think Shrek 5 will be a huge grosser. I'm sure it'll do well but not $200m+ OW well. 

I'm more bullish on a live action Shrek remake doing huge numbers. 

God please NO.

Spoiler

live-action-shrek-v0-4kek1xioee891.jpg?w

Spoiler

DzRnkJqVsAElYLO.jpg

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm sure it will be good.  But theaters will set Dec 25 onward now for a certain Minion-branded company after this movie and Minions...Migration will get Pixar-of-old sets for the holidays weeks b/c they've now proven over the last 3 movies they deserve it.

And who wants to bet against Illumination on the very next huge movie going holiday, especially when they don't charge theaters overwhelming revenue takes and they can fit 5 runs of their movies per screen...

PS - And I am now proud to wear the "questionable tastes in movies" icon:).  I actually prefer to call my tastes GA-flavored, but I can roll with this, too.  Now, to see if I can add it to my sig line somehow...

Illumination isn't guaranteed instant hits, SLOP2 underperformed and Sing 2 did less than Sing. Migration being their first original in 7 years is going to be harder for them to market since it doesn't have the same hook as Sing or SLOP.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I was gonna cite the memes as evidence but then I remembered Morbius exists.

Morbius memes were born out of Schadenfreude.

Shrek memes were and are born out of love. Because Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Does gen alpha care about Shrek?

I really think so, yes. Whenever a trailer for Shrek 5 will be released, the internet will explode.

58 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm sure it will be good.  But theaters will set Dec 25 onward now for a certain Minion-branded company after this movie and Minions...Migration will get Pixar-of-old sets for the holidays weeks b/c they've now proven over the last 3 movies they deserve it.

And who wants to bet against Illumination on the very next huge movie going holiday, especially when they don't charge theaters overwhelming revenue takes and they can fit 5 runs of their movies per screen...

PS - And I am now proud to wear the "questionable tastes in movies" icon:).  I actually prefer to call my tastes GA-flavored, but I can roll with this, too.  Now, to see if I can add it to my sig line somehow...

I don't doubt it will be a success but unlike Mario and Minions, it's a new, original property. No build in brand awareness. I expect, if good, it could do 150M+.... Potentially 200M+ even... But, I think it'll be a harder sell. Minions and especially Mario have HUGE awareness and familiarity with audiences. 

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Is it to early to predict that Mario’s opening record will be surpassed by Shrek 5?

I do think it’s clear that Shrek has become much more ingrained in pop-culture over the past 5 years (after waning starting with S3 in ‘07), as those who grew up with the franchise are now in their nostalgia phases, younger generations have gotten familiar with the characters. I think the pandemic played a big part, with people returning to their favorite childhood properties.

The unexpected critical and commercial success of PiB2 also plays into it. If S5 can match the quality of the first two and PiB2, I sense the next animation record holder.

What record?

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

People don't realise how much Puss In Boots 2 being a Leggy Monster is going to help Shrek 5.

Whatever 50/50 thoughts regarding Shrek 5 were there, your favorite fearless hero has put an end towards them, now let the hype train begin.

Won’t exactly say it leggy monster.

Granted I didn’t pay it much attention, but it did what you expect a good toon to do in XMAS/JAN.

Edit: Hmm. Its on 185. That’s better than 160 range I thought it was.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't doubt it will be a success but unlike Mario and Minions, it's a new, original property. No build in brand awareness. I expect, if good, it could do 150M+.... Potentially 200M+ even... But, I think it'll be a harder sell. Minions and especially Mario have HUGE awareness and familiarity with audiences. 

Not to mention, the current trailer didn't really sell the concept unlike with SLOP and Sing which sold the premise with their first teaser. 

That's not to say it won't do well but it's silly to assume that Illumination equals instant hits when we know it's not always the case just like thinking Disney is box office poison just because Strange World and Lightyear didn't do well.

In regards to Shrek, I do think Puss in Boots in a way filled that Shrek nostalgia gap that the demand for Shrek 5 isn't going to be huge. A live action remake would be a way of retelling the original story and offering something new.

With the live action HTTYD, a remake of Shrek is a question of when and not if. 

Edited by Jonwo

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Note, I said that's what I expected, too...but you know what they say about assuming...

Nothing we KNOW is gonna beat Mario DOM...so, it's looking to what we don't and how it will perform...and no one, save the one trailer, really knows what Migration will do yet, b/c no one saw Puss's 15x legs and a run through March...give a much better opening to a family animated thanks to an Illumination pedigree and a better quality movie, and the sky can be the limit...isn't that what folks just said about Mario?:)

Look, I said Mario wins the year...but if it's getting knocked off, it's by what we don't know...and we don't know if Illumination can put out a stellar quality movie, on top of being an audience pleaser...if they can...