Eric Onion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

46 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What are the chances of the SAG strike going on until 2024? That would force the government to get involved, right?

I don't think the "government will get involved" in a strict legal way.  However I have seen it floated that someone like CA Gov. Newsom might become involved as an intermediary/deal maker as one of the few High Profile/Power folks in California that both sides might be comfortable with, and more to the point trust.

Wouldn't be for a while though and more of an In Case of Emergency, Break Glass situation.

(needless to say, if Newsom were to help end the strikes that would raise his national profile and cachet tremendously)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't think the "government will get involved" in a strict legal way.  However I have seen it floated that someone like CA Gov. Newsom might become involved as an intermediary/deal maker as one of the few High Profile/Power folks in California that both sides might be comfortable with, and more to the point trust.

Wouldn't be for a while though and more of an In Case of Emergency, Break Glass situation.

(needless to say, if Newsom were to help end the strikes that would raise his national profile and cachet tremendously)

If (and it’s obviously a huge if), but if some high-level government official or agency “got involved”, it’s the perfect sort of cover for the AMPTP to make a deal, because they could always claim their hand was forced. (Assuming enough studios within the AMPTP want to make a deal, of course). But it’s a great way to save face if they choose. 

• Like 3

Why do I feel like Iger's only trying to save face after some of the heat he's received from some not insignificant names recently. Gonna be hella awkward if he and Billy Porter ever have to be within close vicinity of each other following the latter's IDGAF response to his much derided comments the other day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

he doesn't want you to stop posting his tweets here because you give him attention therefore give him revenue. rewarding him for his bigotry.

is he really getting revenue for tweets with single digit like counts

I'd get more likes for horny posting about anime milfs at 2 am lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If (and it’s obviously a huge if), but if some high-level government official or agency “got involved”, it’s the perfect sort of cover for the AMPTP to make a deal, because they could always claim their hand was forced. (Assuming enough studios within the AMPTP want to make a deal, of course). But it’s a great way to save face if they choose. 

If the Governor is involved or even the Mayor, you know shit has hit the fan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me how a fucking piece of A.I is going to write screenplays? That's horrifying. How would they even write romance scenes?

Despite the name they are not actually intelligent in the sense of being creative, they are just getting really good at mimicking what something written by a human should look like.

I'm simplifying the process here for the sake of the argument, but basically they've analyzed millions upon millions of texts on the internet, a portion of which is undoubtedly screenplays, so they can just put the pieces together to make a screenplay that feels like something a human might have written.

What will end up happening is that they will be able to put out generic screenplays for specific genres and requests (hey AI, give me an oscar-bait dramedy screenplay that should star someone like Owen Wilson) that will look almost right in a much faster pace than any human obviously, so they'll just hire a screenwriter to revise whatever crap the AI put out and save some money that way.

• Like 1

Yeah, an AI doesn't have a sense of what it is writing or - most important - why it is writing it in that particular way, what you want to achieve with every single moving piece of the text. Making decisions (informed by your craftmanship, experience and personal history, emotions, vision, etc...) are the most important part of a creative endeavour imho.

Then again, I feel studios are pretty happy with scripts that just look like the same as other scripts. Content culture.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, an AI doesn't have a sense of what it is writing or - most important - why it is writing it in that particular way, what you want to achieve with every single moving piece of the text. Making decisions (informed by your craftmanship, experience and personal history, emotions, vision, etc...) are the most important part of a creative endeavour imho.

Then again, I feel studios are pretty happy with scripts that just look like the same as other scripts. Content culture.

That’s a disturbing thought. 

13 hours ago, SLAM! said:

If anyone answers this, quote or mention me too, because I’m curious to know (or have no idea why) she’s hated.

I have an educated guess, however, and she may be hated because she “isn’t Snow White” if you know what I’m saying. But if she nails the role, then yes she is Snow White, darn it!

I've seen alot of hate for her on Tik Tok because she said there modernizing Snow White also because she speaks her mind on topics kind of why certain dude Brosnan hate Brie Larson which is ridiculous 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

What will end up happening is that they will be able to put out generic screenplays for specific genres and requests (hey AI, give me an oscar-bait dramedy screenplay that should star someone like Owen Wilson) that will look almost right in a much faster pace than any human obviously, so they'll just hire a screenwriter to revise whatever crap the AI put out and save some money that way.

100% true and that’s their endgame — which eliminates 99% of feature writers. TV’s a little trickier given the production schedules and rewrites but mini-rooms and no minimum staffing levels takes care of that, and then the union is broken and they can find a way to reduce rates and payments even more. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SLAM! said:

If anyone answers this, quote or mention me too, because I’m curious to know (or have no idea why) she’s hated.

I have an educated guess, however, and she may be hated because she “isn’t Snow White” if you know what I’m saying. But if she nails the role, then yes she is Snow White, darn it!

She's not hated, just found irritating in that theater kid way. She exudes theater kid energy in a big way.

• Thanks 1