Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

With respect, I disagree with the narrative that EmpireCity has any position of power or incentive to care about this at all. He either got a couple of guesses close to right (not that hard once enough info is out, no offense to our wonderful trackers) or he had access to Comscore data as a summer intern or something as a couple of users on here have admitted before, and he kept the charade going. None of his reports about films he has seen have been particularly accurate and the ones that were out on limb and not obvious like Ghostbusters or Indy 5 were notoriously flat out wrong. I read the tracking thread and have a few friends in Hollywood that sometimes give me nuggets of third hand inside info. Give me a purple name!!!!! Dude just has delusional optimism syndrome (common thing) except he's an asshole about it. Probably works at Best Buy, which there's of course no shame in, but he shouldn't get a purple name or mystique.

The Telegram chat has surmised that this almighty, super special guy who has incredible access to everything and seems so high up on the food chain in Hollywood is just...a guy who owns a movie theater. It all checks out, since he goes to CinemaCon every year, he often talks about how "epic" walkups are for movies, he sees movies in advance, which is common for theater owners who show stuff to their staff. Plus, no self-respecting distribution/NATO executive, especially one supposedly so high up on the food chain, would ever spend their free time on a forum run by an autistic furry and Steve Rogers/TCM stan. Nor would they ever spend their time arguing with random people on Twitter about their hatred for labor strikes and streaming services.

His hyping up for movies he's seen is also funny since he basically likes every movie that comes out. Almost like he's doing this shit to get people to go to the movie theater he owns/company he works for. He was out here talking about how amazing Death on the Nile/Fantastic Beasts 3/Lightyear were and that they were destined to be big hits and shut up for thinking otherwise. And uh...well. At least with Erik Davis, he's the CEO of the most popular movie ticketing website and is generally considered a chummy, likable guy to hang out with. Funny too how he then backtracked on Lightyear specifically and how Disney putting gay characters in their movies will cause them all to tank, which is...definitely a choice to say on a forum that's run by and features a ton of LGBT posters. Very, very interesting indeed.

So really, EC's whining about the strikes (did the same for IATSE) is just a sad, strange little man piss-scared that he's losing his entire livelihood just like that. Which normally I would be sad about...but I also believe in a little thing called karma. Ohhhhh well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Eric the Car said:

Plus, no self-respecting distribution/NATO executive, especially one supposedly so high up on the food chain, would ever spend their free time on a forum run by an autistic furry and Steve Rogers/TCM stan.

lance stephenson basketball GIF by NBA

3 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Having both sides go quiet is probably the best sign that negotiations are productive and ongoing, so having everything spilling out in the media again is probably not a good sign for things ending soon.

That was my thought, as well.  Studios want a fold, and not a deal, so I don't think they are yet ready to negotiate in good faith.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The National Association of Theater Owners really needs a less confusing acronym

I call them the fun nato

1 hour ago, Eric the Car said:

The Telegram chat has surmised that this almighty, super special guy who has incredible access to everything and seems so high up on the food chain in Hollywood is just...a guy who owns a movie theater. It all checks out, since he goes to CinemaCon every year, he often talks about how "epic" walkups are for movies, he sees movies in advance, which is common for theater owners who show stuff to their staff. Plus, no self-respecting distribution/NATO executive, especially one supposedly so high up on the food chain, would ever spend their free time on a forum run by an autistic furry and Steve Rogers/TCM stan. Nor would they ever spend their time arguing with random people on Twitter about their hatred for labor strikes and streaming services.

His hyping up for movies he's seen is also funny since he basically likes every movie that comes out. Almost like he's doing this shit to get people to go to the movie theater he owns/company he works for. He was out here talking about how amazing Death on the Nile/Fantastic Beasts 3/Lightyear were and that they were destined to be big hits and shut up for thinking otherwise. And uh...well. At least with Erik Davis, he's the CEO of the most popular movie ticketing website and is generally considered a chummy, likable guy to hang out with. Funny too how he then backtracked on Lightyear specifically and how Disney putting gay characters in their movies will cause them all to tank, which is...definitely a choice to say on a forum that's run by and features a ton of LGBT posters. Very, very interesting indeed.

So really, EC's whining about the strikes (did the same for IATSE) is just a sad, strange little man piss-scared that he's losing his entire livelihood just like that. Which normally I would be sad about...but I also believe in a little thing called karma. Ohhhhh well.

Let's be real. He's David Zazlav's burner account

Edited by Reddroast
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The National Association of Theater Owners really needs a less confusing acronym

Movie theaters have been around for 100+ years so I wondered if it was another WWF situation? But no, the other NATO had the name first by about 20 years. I guess exhibitors have a very high opinion of their own importance...

ABC Thursday primtime goes from Shondaland to Bachelor Nation: 100 percent Bachelor franchise spinoffs from 8-11 PM...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

While I do think that Empire is probably just some dude that owns a movie theater, I also think that there are probably quite a bit of executives that do stuff like that lol They're just people after all.

If complete weirdos like us that stand zero benefit from box office receipts are this passionate of the box office to the extent they frequently visit a website of it and engage on regular discussions on the topic, it stands to reason that mega high up people that do benefit from box office do too. I'd suspect some also have anonymous accounts on Twitter and other websites where they engage as well. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

With respect, I disagree with the narrative that EmpireCity has any position of power or incentive to care about this at all. He either got a couple of guesses close to right (not that hard once enough info is out, no offense to our wonderful trackers) or he had access to Comscore data as a summer intern or something as a couple of users on here have admitted before, and he kept the charade going. None of his reports about films he has seen have been particularly accurate and the ones that were out on limb and not obvious like Ghostbusters or Indy 5 were notoriously flat out wrong. I read the tracking thread and have a few friends in Hollywood that sometimes give me nuggets of third hand inside info. Give me a purple name!!!!! Dude just has delusional optimism syndrome (common thing) except he's an asshole about it. Probably works at Best Buy, which there's of course no shame in, but he shouldn't get a purple name or mystique.

Executives tend to be waaaay off on their reports of films too so him being off on what he thought the reception of a film will be doesn't really say much. Zaslav thought The Flash was going to be a game-changer hit.

The thing that worries me about these strikes isn't how long they last or which shows get axed, it's what happens next. I'm concerned that we're all just going to go on with business as usual and that these studio heads will face no repercussions for this, looking for new ways to screw over their talent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The thing is, there are a few BOT members with reasonably high/important positions within the studio & distribution aspects of the industry, but they’re extremely low-key about it. 

The difference between them and EC is remarkable… and telling. 

Interesting...I have no idea who they might be.

33 minutes ago, JWR said:

The thing that worries me about these strikes isn't how long they last or which shows get axed, it's what happens next. I'm concerned that we're all just going to go on with business as usual and that these studio heads will face no repercussions for this, looking for new ways to screw over their talent.

Studios heads will always look for new ways to screw over their talent. That's the way companies always work.

That's why the guilds exist to prevent the abuse.

• Like 5