Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, Kon said:

I've understand people are happy for the studios on distraught.

However, wouldn't the movie about Taylor's concert exist even without the strikes? So, even without the strike, Taylor movie will be the biggest theatrical release of the fall by far.

The out-of-nowhere announcement of the concert movie came after a number of the fall's most high-profile movies had announced they were moving to 2024 so I'm guessing it would've been released but they would've sat on it longer (and perhaps would've allowed time for a major studio to bid on it). Kind of like how Disney planned to release the Hamilton recording in theaters October 2021 originally but ultimately decided to release it on streaming 15 months earlier than they had planned for it to see the light of day thanks to the pandemic.

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The out-of-nowhere announcement of the concert movie came after a number of the fall's most high-profile movies had announced they were moving to 2024 so I'm guessing it would've been released but they would've sat on it longer (and perhaps would've allowed time for a major studio to bid on it). Kind of like how Disney planned to release the Hamilton recording in theaters October 2021 originally but ultimately decided to release it on streaming 15 months earlier than they had planned for it to see the light of day thanks to the pandemic.

There’s also a good chance Taylor would’ve made this with one of the studios instead of AMC if it hadn’t been for the strikes so they’ve really screwed themselves on this one. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What bigger films???

Just more proof  Empire City is basically a shill for the theater chains.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The Taylor Swift concert movie is looking to do gangbusters. 

While replicating this will be a tall task, we really have no idea just how huge Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour is gonna be.

Every once in a while, a true outlier movie comes around that just fundamentally breaks modeling.  This looks to be one of them.  As such, people are throwing around wild OW numbers for it, but I can't in good conscience doubt some of the more realistic crazy ones.

Like, this has a non-zero percent chance of beating Barbie's OW of $162m.  The inflated ticket price is doing a lot of work, but demand for this film is bananas.  Major question is:  Just how much demand is being burnt off in the initial couple of days of sales.

Whatever it is, it is going to shatter the October OW record of 96.2m

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

SAG-AFTRA plans to send a strike authorization vote for the video game industry after they failed to meet the needs of video game actors.

Companies facing a possible strike include Activision, EA, Epic Games, Insomniac Games, Take 2 and WB.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1697737809715413173?t=duryk2vKo3G_AAbqfQIbTQ&s=19

Edited by dobrevv
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, dobrevv said:

SAG-AFTRA plans to send a strike authorization vote for the video game industry after they failed to meet the needs of video game actors.

Companies facing a possible strike include Activision, EA, Epic Games, Insomniac Games, Take 2 and WB.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1697737809715413173?t=duryk2vKo3G_AAbqfQIbTQ&s=19

Given how long games take to make, will anyone even notice if a game is delayed by a few months? I would imagine that something like Mortal Kombat 1 is already locked and likewise Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League. 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Given how long games take to make, will anyone even notice if a game is delayed by a few months? I would imagine that something like Mortal Kombat 1 is already locked and likewise Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League. 

Yes.

Source: Person who spends waaaaaaay too much time in the peripheries of gamerdom.

Just now, Porthos said:

Console Wars Has Entered the Chat! 👍

Listen I have been waiting for Obsidian to get Avowed out forever because they won't make Pillars of Eternity III yet so give me something to anticipate on time lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Notice, sure. But big game development is literally taking most of a decade now. Gamers are used to tons of delays with

major titles at this point (eg: just last year when nearly every major title scheduled got delayed out of the year). 

Edited by MovieMan89