Eric Burnett

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Apparently Dancing With The Stars is in an interesting spot where the writing is scabbing but the actors appearing on the show are not. Contracts are weird.

Dancing with the Stars has really cheaped out since the 2007-08 strike (they got rid of the results show and stopped airing the spring season), so I'm surprised they didn't quietly dump their WGA writer along with the other budget cuts. Impressed, but surprised.

If DwtS gets pressured not to move forward ABC will be scrambling for programming even more than they already are. It used to be a Monday show, but ABC scheduled DwtS for Tuesday nights, with the premiere listed as 2.5 hours long.  Everybody laughed at their fall schedule before and it could get even more pathetic very soon. Golden Bachelor Outtakes, here we come...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Dancing with the Stars has really cheaped out since the 2007-08 strike (they got rid of the results show and stopped airing the spring season), so I'm surprised they didn't quietly dump their WGA writer along with the other budget cuts. Impressed, but surprised.

If DwtS gets pressured not to move forward ABC will be scrambling for programming even more than they already are. It used to be a Monday show, but ABC scheduled DwtS for Tuesday nights, with the premiere listed as 2.5 hours long.  Everybody laughed at their fall schedule before and it could get even more pathetic very soon. Golden Bachelor Outtakes, here we come...

I'm pretty sure even the entire industry itself views DWTS as a joke as well so if there isn't any pressure to stop it now there probably won't ever be. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure even the entire industry itself views DWTS as a joke as well so if there isn't any pressure to stop it now there probably won't ever be. :lol:

A lot of the people outraged about Drew Barrymore's talk show had never watched it or thought about it until 10 days ago, but had all kinds of energy for bashing her. The public firestorm tactic worked and resulted in other talk shows running scared from their scheduled returns.

Now that the social media mob has a taste of power, the same crowd might decide to turn their attention to Dancing with the Stars, especially a season with Adrian Peterson (and also Jamie Lynn Spears) in the cast. Sometimes the facts don't materially change but the environment suddenly becomes more amenable to pitchforks. The DwtS season premiere is scheduled for next week, plenty of time for things to snowball if ABC isn't on top of it.

The View openly acknowledges that their WGA writers stepped away from their duties and it kept right on producing shows. The WGA pickets, but stars didn't stop appearing on it and hardly anyone cares, because it's seen as a quasi-news show anyway. DwtS doesn't have the same cover and extremely pro-writer people have always hated reality programming. If they see a chance to take down one of the bigger shows and hurt ABC/Disney in the process, they just might go for it. We'll see...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm… I have to admit that even Maher of all people pedaling back does make it seem like the studios know something about how these talks are gonna go. Sure hope WGA isn’t ready to settle for nothing after all this…

Yeah If the WGA takes a deal that they could have taken back in May or last month WTF was the point. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, striker said:

If I buy the Friends box set, should they be paid every time i watch it all? No. Me paying for Disney plus is like I've just purchased a bunch of dvd's. They shouldn't be paid every time I watch them, just like the construction workers who built my house shouldn't be paid every time it's sold. The writers were paid to make a product and they did. When a product loses money, it's not like they are going to pay for it. That's the risk they don't have to take.  It's a fair system and if they want a bigger piece of the pie then do a Mel Gibson and fund it yourself.

As of now, demanding more when an industry is making less just seems counter productive 

If you buy a boxset, the writers get paid. If you subscribe to a streaming service, they don't. That's the difference. 

As for the rest of it, you are trying to troll and people won't engage with your bad faith arguments. 

• Like 4

Just now, striker said:

This whole site is a troll site. Ban anyone with opposing views so you can seem like the majority, you lot need a reality check every few months

The difference between here and Twitter where I think you ply your trade is that we don't suffer fools and trolls and you are both. We won't miss you when you are banned like in 10 minutes.

Hope you have a bad day and we will not remember your username in a day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I wonder which banned member this one is an alt of? 

Jessie lol. Don’t worry. We banned the IP address they made their last…5 accounts with? We are okay for now, at least until he uses a VPN yet again. This dude really needs a life lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

If you buy a boxset, the writers get paid. If you subscribe to a streaming service, they don't. That's the difference. 

As for the rest of it, you are trying to troll and people won't engage with your bad faith arguments. 

Be honest I feel streaming is becoming a house of cards long term.

The corporations spent crazy amounts to produce shows and user growth is slowing down as they increase their price.

The streaming services have cut down a lot of new programing which would draw less new people. 

Actors and writers and such want their share.

Govts are looking to regulate streaming sites as well and force them to produce a lot of local content. 

A lot of people i know been getting those illegal IPTV or Android boxes where you get all the streaming services for 10 bucks a month. 

Writers should get a fair deal but for the future of the entire industry It will be interesting what happens. 

Edited by Torontofan

6 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Jessie lol. Don’t worry. We banned the IP address they made their last…5 accounts with? We are okay for now, at least until he uses a VPN yet again. This dude really needs a life lol

Omg, the hot one?

Yeah, he was always giving red flags.

Cannot believe we used to flirt and such, messy of me.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, Kon said:

I agree that people focus on Drew Barrymore's decision of bringing back her show too much. I assume it's because she was popular, but there were many people who do exactly the same.

That said, I won't celebrate her current actions. Previously, she released a video about how she really needed to bring back her show to help her crew. Now, she has backlash for her decision and reverts it. That seems pretty fake and hypocrital.

The Barrymore curse strikes again.

When it comes to self destructive behavior by various members, only the Booths are anywhere near the Barrymores.

The title of the movie they made about John Barrymore and how he destroyed himself says it all:

"Too Much Too Soon."

Edited by dudalb