Eric Furiosa

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, filmlover said:

Personally crossing my fingers Jenna Ortega ends up working on projects with these writers throwing shade at her (uh, why?) just for the awkward! of it all.

Genuinely the best thing she can do is go find the person with the sign and picket with them. It will send a much louder message.

• Like 4

Writers are a lot like journalists/film critics (who are often writers themselves), they're very sensitive. Only way to explain how they turned a harmless throwaway comment from her into something more. 

• Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Writers are a lot like journalists/film critics (who are often writers themselves), they're very sensitive. Only way to explain how they turned a harmless throwaway comment from her into something more. 

They didn't turn it into anything other than a harmless joke. They did not mock Ortega. The headline is bullshit and THR is trying to rile up fans to get them to shit on writers for striking. I guess it's working since most people don't read the article.

• Like 12

35 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They didn't turn it into anything other than a harmless joke. They did not mock Ortega. The headline is bullshit and THR is trying to rile up fans to get them to shit on writers for striking. I guess it's working since most people don't read the article.

But why call out in public when things are already sensitive. I would not say its a harmless joke at all. It was done in bad taste. 

That said HR is not making it any better either. 

I read the HR article and the tweets they cited. Brandon Cohen's sign was actually clever but Nick Adams' tweet was dumb and clearly only for attention. You can always count on opportunism and individual self-promotion (instead of adding something productive) to make an appearance whenever a "bigger picture" movement such as this comes around.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol

I have to imagine the shelving of finished projects like Batgirl and others for tax purposes has only fueled this strike even more. Fully expect the unions to push for a clause that already made projects are required to see the light of day going forward since clearly one doesn't exist with all the completed stuff that's been thrown in the trash lately.

No one wants more "childhood trauma" stories. 

• Knock It Off 1

10 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

That's not the point of the sign lol. The point is the long held trope that writers are good writers because they have childhood trauma to draw from, rather than people who had normal childhoods that weren't very interesting lol

• Like 1

But yeah a lot of trades have started on the "here's what audiences are losing because of the writers strike", so we know what side they're on

Even the "the last strike ruined television " stuff is t entirely true 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 5

On 5/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, keysersoze123 said:

This is legit. We should never see that happen that so much effort went into making a movie/series and they just drop it. Streaming platforms also drop projects just to avoid paying residuals. That is bad as well. 

That sounds fine, unless you are a Warner's Stockholder.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:53 PM, filmlover said:

True, though it wasn't until a huge production like Batgirl (and a whole bunch of other projects including entire finished seasons of TV shows) got that treatment that it became a wake-up call that everything is fair game re: getting thrown out for tax reasons.

I think it has always been that way, just not so obivioulsy.

Warners is a buiness,not a patron of the arts. it's first job is to make a profit..or at least minimize lossed for the stockholders.

I am not sure throwing out finished productions is a good idea, but I don't argue with the motive.

And was Batgirl finished? I keep on reading it had a lot of post prodcution left to be done, and if WB managment felt it was a sure fire money loser I can understand not wanting to add to the red ink.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

That's not the point of the sign lol. The point is the long held trope that writers are good writers because they have childhood trauma to draw from, rather than people who had normal childhoods that weren't very interesting lol

Writers have so many different motives for becoming writers that it's stupid to attempt any kind of generlasation.

• ...wtf 1

16 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Depends on how well done they are.

And, hell, the origin of Batman is a "Childhood Trauma" story if ever there was one.

But if you mean no more Tim Burton forcing a "daddy issue" into every film he makes I 100 agree.

Edited by dudalb

12 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Well I was right about Blade shutting down production due to lack of a real script.(how long does it take to write a script for a vampire action movie?)

I don't see how you came up with "doesn't have a script" and not "the new writer who came on a few weeks ago hasn't completed his draft yet"

I didn’t say it doesn’t have a script. I said a real script. This is going to be like the 3rd rewrite. How hard is it to write a vampire action movie?  It was supposed to film like a year ago but they just can’t seem to make it work. Worries me about X-Men which is a way more difficult r

concept to introduce into the MCU. We even had a horror character already introduced last year.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1