Eric the Fall Guy

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

18 minutes ago, Cap said:

The real deadline for this is June 30, when the DGA and SAG-AFTRA’s contracts are up. The true collective power to get what they want comes when all the Guilds go out at the same time.

But who knows if the WGA can, or wants, to stay out that long. 

June 30th is only 2 months away, that's not long at all and actually it puts pressure on Hollywood to avoid a mass shutdown because that'll cost more and hurt the industry. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

June 30th is only 2 months away, that's not long at all and actually it puts pressure on Hollywood to avoid a mass shutdown because that'll cost more and hurt the industry. 

It’s a long time when you’re a writer with zero income coming in and bills to pay. I actively remember the 2007 strike. The first month everyone was on the same page, the second months there was a bunch of rumblings, and the third month they caved. 

I agree that from an objective POV, waiting it out to June makes the most sense. But who knows if all 9000 members also think that.

23 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s a long time when you’re a writer with zero income coming in and bills to pay. I actively remember the 2007 strike. The first month everyone was on the same page, the second months there was a bunch of rumblings, and the third month they caved. 

I agree that from an objective POV, waiting it out to June makes the most sense. But who knows if all 9000 members also think that.

Here's a great deep-dive into 2007. Once the DGA deal was reached, the WGA got a lot of pressure to get it done

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I know Joss Whedon is person non grata now but he co-wrote a great song about the 2007-2008 writer’s strike on a musical commentary track for his independent web musical Dr. Horrible’s sing along blog. 14 years have gone by but when the musical was released I thought the internet would be full of independent productions done by creatives  bursting with creativity but YouTubers now are mostly corporate and sanitized and all the same.

16 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

There's a part of me that hopes SAG and DGA end up striking too, just to squeeze those CEOS even more. 

I think the whole industry needs a big shake up. Not happy with the movie going choices I have been getting fo rmore then a decade.  Maybe even they will look beyond the 16 to 35 male demo, which has driven the studios for far too long.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cap said:

The real deadline for this is June 30, when the DGA and SAG-AFTRA’s contracts are up. The true collective power to get what they want comes when all the Guilds go out at the same time.

But who knows if the WGA can, or wants, to stay out that long. 

A few cab bring in some money by writing  for media outside the film/tv industry (magazines articles,etc) but after a month or so it will bite in for most members.

What will be interesting is if this is still going on if the US defaults. ...which will have a bad impact on the film industry   along with everything else.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think the whole industry needs a big shake up. Not happy with the movie going choices I have been getting fo rmore then a decade.  Maybe even they will look beyond the 16 to 35 male demo, which has driven the studios for far too long.

They make plenty of movies aimed at different demos but post pandemic almost none of them succeed unless they are super low budget 

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This is a myth. 

how so?  movies like fabelmans, northman, bros, are you there god?, etc , etc, etc have flopped post pandemic despite good reviews/good audience scores and being aimed at demos that aren't 18-34 male

19 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

how so?  movies like fabelmans, northman, bros, are you there god?, etc , etc, etc have flopped post pandemic despite good reviews/good audience scores and being aimed at demos that aren't 18-34 male

I'm not here to point out for you all of the films not only aimed at the 18-34 demo that have performed well over the past two years. 

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm not here to point out for you all of the films not only aimed at the 18-34 demo that have performed well over the past two years. 

what are you even arguing with me about? I said those films still get made a lot, most of them just don't make money, yes some do but by and large they haven't since covid nor did i say they shouldn't be made

lol

I have to imagine the shelving of finished projects like Batgirl and others for tax purposes has only fueled this strike even more. Fully expect the unions to push for a clause that already made projects are required to see the light of day going forward since clearly one doesn't exist with all the completed stuff that's been thrown in the trash lately.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol

I have to imagine the shelving of finished projects like Batgirl and others for tax purposes has only fueled this strike even more. Fully expect the unions to push for a clause that already made projects are required to see the light of day going forward since clearly one doesn't exist with all the completed stuff that's been thrown in the trash lately.

I'm pretty sure a number of films don't get released at all so a clause like that isn't likely and I imagine there would ways studios could get round not releasing a film at all.

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm pretty sure a number of films don't get released at all so a clause like that isn't likely and I imagine there would ways studios could get round not releasing a film at all.

True, though it wasn't until a huge production like Batgirl (and a whole bunch of other projects including entire finished seasons of TV shows) got that treatment that it became a wake-up call that everything is fair game re: getting thrown out for tax reasons.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True, though it wasn't until a huge production like Batgirl (and a whole bunch of other projects including entire finished seasons of TV shows) got that treatment that it became a wake-up call that everything is fair game re: getting thrown out for tax reasons.

This is legit. We should never see that happen that so much effort went into making a movie/series and they just drop it. Streaming platforms also drop projects just to avoid paying residuals. That is bad as well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joel M said:

The trades doing some serious journalism already

Personally crossing my fingers Jenna Ortega ends up working on projects with these writers throwing shade at her (uh, why?) just for the awkward! of it all.