Eric Quinn

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

I think Drescher signing on signals that the message the letter was trying to relate has been received.

So many more actors signing on makes it much more difficult for the union to agree to anything less than what most of what they are asking for.

It will certainly slow down the talks. An agreement without a strike may still be reached but it became more difficult and will take longer. 

With this being a Holiday time period coming up i'm not sure an extension out to July 7th will be enough. So at the end of next week is there a strike or another extension?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ at some point you’ve got to stop giving extensions or you become toothless. I’ve seen some SAG people ask what the point is of even one extension. Like, if you’re not super close by end of Friday, you’re not gonna be after the 4th.  

FWIW, we have Captain America fired up about a SAG strike (via @eddyxx that pointed out a blurb I hadn’t notice on a recent Anthony Mackie’s interview):

On 6/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, eddyxx said:

"Once the studios went public and were bought out by major companies, we were f***ed. It’s no longer about art. It’s no longer about interesting, fun work. It’s about end-of-the-quarter profit sharing. It’s about shareholders. So you’re literally just raping and pillaging the industry. It’s cannibalism."

"It’s a sh*t show if we go on strike," he continued. "They’re going to have to. Unless they get a bunch of f*cking YouTubers to make Avengers 5!"”

Evans is my favorite Chris, but I like how direct and fired up this new Cap is.  It stands to reason Evans would also be up for it.

captain-america-detention.gif

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ at some point you’ve got to stop giving extensions or you become toothless. I’ve seen some SAG people ask what the point is of even one extension. Like, if you’re not super close by end of Friday, you’re not gonna be after the 4th.  

It's the PR Game. I think Sag wants to be seen as going the last mile to reach a deal, so the public will blame the Studios.

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

That is exciting in same way Hitler rising to power is exciting.

I don't get why anybody would root

Yeah, the AI bit is exciting, but not in a good way.

More the Bulterian Revolution in the Dune universe is looking like a logical alternative.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:00 AM, filmlover said:

Isn't the Barbie world premiere in LA supposed to be a few days before the 12th? Portion of the Internet must be letting out a sigh of relief that's been saved now. 

If the WGA had balls they'd protest the premier.

I would have to believe so many major tentpoles bombing spectacularly this summer would have to help the writers? I mean, how can studios look at this summer and say “we’re fine, we’ll just fall back on our big IPs and if the script quality takes a hit, who cares?” Obviously the audiences care based on how they’re outright shunning a lot of supposed “sure things.” 

It's pretty much well known Ryan Murphy is a piece of trash human being. Every single show of his has the same trajectory. Great first season, absolute nosedive the following season, followed by mediocrity and awfulness.

These are two different, unrelated things. That being said, yes, people I know who’ve worked on his projects don’t speak kindly about their experiences. 

• Like 2