filmlover

CinemaCon 2023: 4/24-27

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

More curious about the Universal presentation of the two studios tomorrow because their fourth quarter is going to be much smaller in terms of output compared to the diverse one they had last year. After August their only remaining releases of the year will be the Exorcist legacy sequel and the DreamWorks/Illumination cartoons (though Focus will also be part of the presentation and they do have a couple of mainstream-friendly projects in their pipeline).

They also have the Five Nights at Freddies movie.

Wonder if they'll walk back the Peacock day and date for that one, after Mario's success

53 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Yeah they're dropping Magazine Dreams. Not much new stuff beyond that and the rename of True Love to The Creator.

Bummed/surprised by no mention of The Bikeriders on the slate in the Fall. It's definitely coming this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Bummed/surprised by no mention of The Bikeriders on the slate in the Fall. It's definitely coming this year

Given the cast it's definitely going to be theatrical. Just no release window yet. Could be Fall, could be Winter. 

Disney's slate has my money for sure. So far the studios are making a very strong case for why this is going to be the year I get back into the groove of seeing a movie (or two) in theaters a week on average again.

Universal/Focus presentation coming up.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

why this is going to be the year I get back into the groove of seeing a movie (or two) in theaters a week on average again.

cant see myself going to cinemas casually while pvod windows are still somewhat short

6 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

As I said previously, the impending writers' strike is the likely reason why we probably won't get any new release date announcements at CinemaCon this year, as the studios are all waiting to see how the situation plays out and stockpiling completed movies in the meantime in case this strike happens and causes major delays for already dated movies.

Universal’s Focus Features offered theater owners a first look at Alexander Payne’s New England prep school comedy The Holdovers, Ethan Coen’s Drive-Away Dolls and the last installment of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3, giving some love, naturally, to Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City, set to bow in Cannes.

‘The Holdovers’ ‘Drive-Away Dolls’, ‘Asteroid City’ At CinemaCon – Deadline

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think people are somewhat exaggerating the impact of the WGA strike on films, it will mostly affect stuff not in production yet, it won't see an exodus of 2023 films to 2024. 

Pretty much. Everything they're showing off here (that hasn't officially released their marketing to the public yet) is clearly going to be ready for this year.

In addition to the aforementioned lack of The Bikeriders or the already-dated Magazine Dreams (for obvious reasons), there was also no mention during the Disney panel of Yorgos Lanthimos' Poor Things even though that's been in the can for a while.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much. Everything they're showing off here (that hasn't officially released their marketing to the public yet) is clearly going to be ready for this year.

In addition to the aforementioned lack of The Bikeriders or the already-dated Magazine Dreams (for obvious reasons), there was also no mention during the Disney panel of Yorgos Lanthimos' Poor Things even though that's been in the can for a while.

I could see Poor Things moving to '24 since it's not likely an Oscar play based on that premise. Then again, who knows these days. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

I could see Poor Things moving to '24 since it's not likely an Oscar play based on that premise. Then again, who knows these days. 

It was made in 2021 and already has its MPA rating, so it's unlikely they sit on a finished-for-a-while movie even longer. It all depends on what Searchlight does: all they have for the rest of the year are Next Goal Wins and Magazine Dreams (likely to be dumped with no fanfare), so they must be deciding how they want its festival run to go since NGW is an obvious TIFF bow.