filmlover

CinemaCon 2023: 4/24-27

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Thanks for sharing. Now I know he's using an alt and I can be on the lookout for him. It's hilarious he makes tweets that have the "Quote" thing at the bottom. Like hello? That means we know you're on here. Moron. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

3 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

Thanks for sharing. Now I know he's using an alt and I can be on the lookout for him. It's hilarious he makes tweets that have the "Quote" thing at the bottom. Like hello? That means we know you're on here. Moron. 🙄

He just can't help himself.

Anyway, this Warner panel was more like it. The lack of anything public is annoying as always with CinemaCon, but we got plenty of exciting news out of it. Dune 2 and Barbie in particular I'm dying to see.

21 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

Even more reason to not trust profiles with no pics and less than 50 posts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Nope. Per a quick count on Mojo, in 2019 there were 159 in at least 2000, ~100 in at least 3K, and 65 in 3500+

2018: 143 / 89 / 58

Good pull.

It's worth noting that the numbers can change for this year. Festival pick ups or other late additions.

The first couple of months were also pretty bad for releases and pretty in line with 2021. We seem to get to a better rhythm after February.

If we can end the year closer to what a normal release schedule should be, that will be a healthy sign for the industry. Unless the WGA strike messes it up.

6 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

If all Eric Davis can say is its good then I really worry for the movie

:hahaha:

Though to be fair, Cinemacon can be weird with gushing about movies that don't hit big later and being meh on movies that do. They really jumped on Woman King wagon for example but it couldn't break even from WW boxoffice. 

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

:hahaha:

Though to be fair, Cinemacon can be weird with gushing about movies that don't hit big later and being meh on movies that do. They really jumped on Woman King wagon for example but it couldn't break even from WW boxoffice. 

To be fair Woman King got universal acclaim. You cannot expect attendees of cinemacon to be prescient about box office especially about genres like that which were not doing well in COVID era. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

To be fair Woman King got universal acclaim. You cannot expect attendees of cinemacon to be prescient about box office especially about genres like that which were not doing well in COVID era. 

well, they are theater owners and managers so they should be atuned to boxoffice. And critical acclaim doesn't equal boxoffice as we witness in D&D case atm. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

well, they are theater owners and managers so they should be atuned to boxoffice. And critical acclaim doesn't equal boxoffice as we witness in D&D case atm. 

That's a bit unfair, not even studio execs know what will be a hit or not. Exhibitors might have a rough idea but something that might be a slam dunk on paper can end up being a failure and vice verse. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Are you expecting them to predict every movie to be successful or not. They can only tell if its great and audience would like it. 

That said Women King is not good comps for a big budget movie. If those movies are good and not niche like D&D was, they generally will do well. 

• Like 1

The Meg 2 sounds good, which would be an improvement on the first lol. 

Hopefully The Nun 2 is a step up as well, although I think I like that more than most other people did. 

The Aquaman footage sounds promising and The Flash trailer is great. 

The Meg 2 description sounds awesome!! I can not wait to see this on the big screen. They definitely needed a big variety of new creatures to show off, and it seems like they did the job right. 

I actually liked The Nun more than most, but I don't think I can stomach another Conjuring Universe film after Annabelle Comes Home....

So what are we expecting for Disney panel tomorrow? Not sure if this kind of announcements happens on Cinemacon but since they don't have D23 this year, maybe some new titles? Or dates for the Pixar and WDAS sequels (Toy Story 5, Frozen 3, Zootopia 2) like Lionsgate did with The Hunger Games last year? 

20 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

So what are we expecting for Disney panel tomorrow? Not sure if this kind of announcements happens on Cinemacon but since they don't have D23 this year, maybe some new titles? Or dates for the Pixar and WDAS sequels (Toy Story 5, Frozen 3, Zootopia 2) like Lionsgate did with The Hunger Games last year? 

Cinemacon is rarely used for announcements. Look at it like a trade show - the producers showcase their upcoming product and try to convince the retailers why they should make space on their shelves for that product over the next year.

It's pretty much only restricted to a given year. So Disney will just showcase the movies coming this year and maybe May next year at the latest.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

It'll just be talking about all the stuff coming out this year and that's that. And I doubt we'll even get that much info if I'm being honest. Last year they had a half hour of their presentation dedicated to Doctor Strange 2 and another half hour to Lightyear. I can see the same thing again with like Elemental and Little Mermaid or whatever.

More curious about the Universal presentation of the two studios tomorrow because their fourth quarter is going to be much smaller in terms of output compared to the diverse one they had last year. After August their only remaining releases of the year will be the Exorcist legacy sequel and the DreamWorks/Illumination cartoons (though Focus will also be part of the presentation and they do have a couple of mainstream-friendly projects in their pipeline).