filmlover

CinemaCon 2023: 4/24-27

Well, that was a pretty lame showing from Sony. The only major news here is Kraven being rated R, which I don't see them sticking with for the final movie. It'll be edited down to a PG-13 by the end. There was similar buzz regarding the first Venom and we all know what happened with that.

I guess the speculation here about barebones presentations because of the impending writers' strike just got some fuel. I suppose I should temper my expectations for Warner's panel tonight.

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What...no trailers released online????

CinemaCon's not a trailer launchpad. 9 times out of 10, everything is always locked behind closed doors for exhibitors only. No Way Home is the exception, not the rule.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

CinemaCon's not a trailer launchpad. 9 times out of 10, everything is always locked behind closed doors for exhibitors only. No Way Home is the exception, not the rule.

People always forget that CinemaCon isn't a fan event like ComicCon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

People always forget that CinemaCon isn't a fan event like ComicCon.

Seriously. :lol: People always expect the world from these private industry events.

Only thing curious is that they showed off plenty from Anyone But You (the Glen Powell/Sydney Sweeney romcom) but didn't give it a date. Wonder if they're fast-tracking it for this year or if they plan to hold it for 2024 when both of them will have major roles in aspiring tentpoles (Madame Web, Twisters) coming out.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Seriously. :lol: People always expect the world from these private industry events.

Only thing curious is that they showed off plenty from Anyone But You (the Glen Powell/Sydney Sweeney romcom) but didn't give it a date. Wonder if they're fast-tracking it for this year or if they plan to hold it for 2024 when both of them will have major roles in aspiring tentpoles (Madame Web, Twisters) coming out.

I have a hunch the impending writers' strike might be the reason for that. I think more studios will start stockpiling movies written before then without giving them any release dates. That way they can wait and see how the strike plays out and still have movies ready for release in case the ones already on the schedule have to be delayed. I'd be surprised to see a single release date announcement from CinemaCon this year for that very reason.

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Babrie would be insane given the rumor that they've just test screened the new cut of the movie after reshoots. Doesn't sound like it would be finished in that case.  Maybe I'm wrong but isn't test screening for feedback? So unless feedback was universally through the roof (which supposedly previous test screenings were for the old cut) they would still work on it, no? 

Edited by Valonqar

37 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

WB´s panel is 4 hours??? Also this guy says they might screen Barbie

I could be wildly off about this but looking at the schedule on the website, I assume it's more like 1.5-2.5 hours. They have some sort of dolby presentation about 2022 films, are giving out a couple of awards and two people are giving "state of the industry" speeches.  Just based on generic "conference timing" it just wouldn't surprise me to see that go 2 hours (though it could also be significantly shorter). 

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I could be wildly off about this but looking at the schedule on the website, I assume it's more like 1.5-2.5 hours. They have some sort of dolby presentation about 2022 films, are giving out a couple of awards and two people are giving "state of the industry" speeches.  Just based on generic "conference timing" it just wouldn't surprise me to see that go 2 hours (though it could also be significantly shorter). 

You are probably right as word on twitter is that the WB panel don´t start before 10:30 am ish

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

There was a The Meg 2 logo with the august date on it. Just the logo though. 

Must be sticking with it. Can only assume they’re saving the trailer to be shown with the would be summer blockbusters. 

Fast X seems like the obvious target as to when the trailer will premiere (given the Statham overlap between the two projects).