filmlover

CinemaCon 2023: 4/24-27

Figured now would be a good time to get a jump start and open the thread since it starts in only 4 days.

The time is almost here for the studios to start promoting what they have coming out for the remainder of the calendar year all over again. What to expect: first look standees all over the lobby, some new trailers, a couple of full movie screenings (The Flash, most notably), a number of star appearances, plenty of excited exhibitors, and more. What not to expect: stars getting ambushed during their presentations after they've beefed up security following the Olivia Wilde snafu last year.

Tune in when the fun and excitement begins on Monday and ending next Thursday at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas!

Schedule of events as to when to expect the studio presentations so everyone can plan accordingly:

Monday: Sony (6:15 PM-8:15 PM)

Tuesday: Warner Bros (8:30 AM-12:30 PM - The Flash screening between 4:45 PM-7:15 PM)

Wednesday: Disney/20th Century (9:30 AM-12:30 PM, including a screening of The Boogeyman), Universal/Focus (4:00 PM-6:15 PM)

Thursday: Paramount (10:00 AM-11:45 AM), Lionsgate-hosted screening of Joy Ride (2:30 PM-4:30 PM)

CinemaCon - 24–27 April 2023 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas

• Like 5

They don't tend to show things from more than a year out, unless they're announcing something new. If Sony was willing to announce El Muerto to the world last year they might officially announce Spider-Man 4 this year, especially since Feige already confirmed it's in development.

Very curious to see if we get anything for The Meg 2 on Tuesday. If we don’t, it’s definitely moving. Glad The Boogeyman is being shown, I believe they’ve already shown it to some exhibitors and the reaction was excellent, so they must be confidence in this. 

Maybe teaser posters or title treatments for The Nun 2, The Exorcist and Saw X as well. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Very curious to see if we get anything for The Meg 2 on Tuesday. If we don’t, it’s definitely moving.

Funny you say that. I've had similar vibes on WBD's late fall slate.

Have a weird feeling (right or wrong), Dune Part II and/or Wonka will vacate to next year. We'll see.

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Funny you say that. I've had similar vibes on WBD's late fall slate.

Have a weird feeling (right or wrong), Dune Part II and/or Wonka will vacate to next year. We'll see.

Wonka will definitely come out around Christmas, the stills released so far have made it appear very Christmas-y and the movie will certainly be done by the fall. Anything that hasn't officially released any marketing materials yet is open to having its date changed (although this event will certainly mark the unofficial marketing start for many movies).

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

My favorite part is usually the new standees accross the hallways.

Lionsgate is not having a presentation? I was expecting some sort of news on Borderlands.

They're having a screening of Joy Ride (which is really being positioned as a potential breakout this summer) but it doesn't seem like they'll be showing anything beyond. Guess they didn't want another situation like last year where some of the movies they promoted (Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret and About My Father were heavily pushed last year and ended up in 2023) find themselves delayed.

• Like 1

I thought we would get a bunch of release date changes this week as studios were starting to lock in their schedules as to what will be shown off here but maybe everyone's feeling confident that their product will make their current dates. If anything gets omitted then yeah, off to 2024 they go.

Whatever they show you can be sure John Campea will spoil it all for everybody within minutes of exiting any of the presentations. If they’re showing Flash in its entirety, he will ruin/hint at all the surprises. Man can’t help himself, including headlines/thumbnail pics for his show for clicks. 

This following when he ruined Maguire/Garfield for the whole world by posting pics a couple of months before the movie opened. So, tread carefully people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I thought we would get a bunch of release date changes this week as studios were starting to lock in their schedules as to what will be shown off here but maybe everyone's feeling confident that their product will make their current dates. If anything gets omitted then yeah, off to 2024 they go.

A few 2024 WB films have been undated like Toto and Coyote v Acme which has been shot already will likely get a 2024 release. 

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Whatever they show you can be sure John Campea will spoil it all for everybody within minutes of exiting any of the presentations. If they’re showing Flash in its entirety, he will ruin/hint at all the surprises. Man can’t help himself, including headlines/thumbnail pics for his show for clicks. 

This following when he ruined Maguire/Garfield for the whole world by posting pics a couple of months before the movie opened. So, tread carefully people. 

It would be funny to me if all these click bait-y bloggers got blocked at the door for the actual event (the lobby where they have all the posters/standees up for public display they have no problem with). It's already confirmed they're having extra security this year to prevent another "Olivia Wilde being served custody papers during the presentation" moment.

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

My favorite part is usually the new standees accross the hallways.

Mine too! 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It would be funny to me if all these click bait-y bloggers got blocked at the door for the actual event (the lobby where they have all the posters/standees up for public display they have no problem with). It's already confirmed they're having extra security this year to prevent another "Olivia Wilde being served custody papers during the presentation" moment.

Grace Randolph said she was personally invited but had to decline. So I think they actually want the bloggers there. 

• Thanks 1

I'm really surprised that Disney is focusing on Boogeyman of all films to make its push.

I'm guessing the argument is that nothing else needs a push to this crowd. Theatres will make space for every major Disney release, so a push isn't needed. But it feels like a time to give a boost to an influential group.

That said, Boogeyman is coming out at probably the most competitive point post pandemic for screens. I legitimately do wonder how much space can be made for it.

It's being released the same time as Spiderverse, and the holdovers from May will still be going strong. They have to keep space for two wide releases the following week with Transformers and Strays.

I know Black Phone has been evoked as a comparable, but that had lots of time to build an audience. I feel this gets 2-3 weeks max.