Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Titanic 

Agreed. I mean, "best" is VERY subjective and I would not try to determine one so I won't say it is the best exactly, but the greatest movie of all time IMO is Titanic. Unprecedented and the most legendary box office success, wiped all the awards possible, it's universal in it's appeal (it's huge in almost all of the world), became ingrained in Pop culture instantly, it's objectively a technical marvel and it remains till this day a fantastic movie with ageless visuals and extremely iconic for a lot of different reasons. There are definitely other contenders, but I go with Titanic.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

ok thought experiment: what should be considered the best movie of all time

a movie that not everyone liked but everyone considered objectively good

or a movie that everyone liked but people have objectively seen better movies 

Pluto Nash

• Astonished 1

3 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

Transformers

That’s great for Evil Dead Rise. $22-23m opening. Beating tracking and industry expectations comfortably. Budget is $15m, less than the 2013 film. 

Another thing about Air: Ben Affleck and Matt Damon aren’t the draws they once were. Both have only had one hit each in the last 7 years (The Accountant and Ford V Ferrari). 

And on the topic of Scream 4, nostalgia for the 90s hadn’t kicked in yet and maybe 11 years was too short a time period for a requel. Plus the Weinstein Company didn’t know how to market anything but awards films by that time. Scream 4 was discovered after its theatrical release though over the years on VOD, streaming etc and is one of the reasons 5 did so well and brought in a younger audience. It all worked out in the end. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

And on the topic of Scream 4, nostalgia for the 90s hadn’t kicked in yet and maybe 11 years was too short a time period for a requel. Plus the Weinstein Company didn’t know how to market anything but awards films by that time. Scream 4 was discovered after its theatrical release though over the years on VOD, streaming etc and is one of the reasons 5 did so well and brought in a younger audience. It all worked out in the end. 

This. I think attributing Scream's recent success to Halloween is cheeky and overhypes the legacy of that 2018 film which was successful but didn't feel like any kind of game changer so much as another brick in the wall of the memberberry nostalgia obsession permeating the whole of film from the mid 2010s onwards. Horror had stayed strong throughout the previous decade, regardless of specific 'slasher' hits and IT - sure not a slasher but pretty strongly aligned in its structure - had been an absolute megahit just the year before.

Scream 4 was notoriously badly marketed, and came a decade after a film that a) was widely perceived as the definitive end of a complete trilogy and b) was widely perceived as a franchise killer anyway. It was unclear as to the extent of continuing the same storyline and half-positioned itself as a relaunch despite being a straight-up sequel. Within 5 years, maybe even less, it was widely accepted as one of the strongest in the series. I'd certainly agree that the successful relaunch wouldn't have been as successful if 4 wasn't perceived very well today, and if the new versions had been tasked with getting rid of the bad taste in the mouth from 3, which is something they didn't have to worry about.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This. I think attributing Scream's recent success to Halloween is cheeky and overhypes the legacy of that 2018 film which was successful but didn't feel like any kind of game changer so much as another brick in the wall of the memberberry nostalgia obsession permeating the whole of film from the mid 2010s onwards. Horror had stayed strong throughout the previous decade, regardless of specific 'slasher' hits and IT - sure not a slasher but pretty strongly aligned in its structure - had been an absolute megahit just the year before.

Scream 4 was notoriously badly marketed, and came a decade after a film that a) was widely perceived as the definitive end of a complete trilogy and b) was widely perceived as a franchise killer anyway. It was unclear as to the extent of continuing the same storyline and half-positioned itself as a relaunch despite being a straight-up sequel. Within 5 years, maybe even less, it was widely accepted as one of the strongest in the series. I'd certainly agree that the successful relaunch wouldn't have been as successful if 4 wasn't perceived very well today, and if the new versions had been tasked with getting rid of the bad taste in the mouth from 3, which is something they didn't have to worry about.

Not sure what Halloween 2018 you saw but it was certainly not the one everyone else saw. Anyways, yeah Scream's success wasn't just from 2018, but the entire reason it was decided to give Scream a second chance was absolutely from Halloween 2018 reviving slashers.

7 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

Disorderlies.

7 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

Jurassic Park.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Around 55M for Mario I guess? There goes the 60M dream.

Evil Dead is just too hardcore to go above a low/mid 20s OW. Many people simply won't go to something as violent as that.

9 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

It's interesting that people tend to gravitate towards newer movies. I'd throw in a couple classics like Gone with the Wind or Ben Hur

Halloween 2018 absolieyley lock started the slasher genre again. But kills   ends and Texas chainsaw massacre 2022 did  their best to try to kill it....again scream has one flop in 6 tries.....it's most recent successes include releasing during the worst strain of the Pandemic with theaters open and a movie without its main star of the series. ....take Jaimie lee out of kills and ends and  ieven the streaming excuses wouldn't save the box office. 

Or as amber said in scream 5 "you can't have halloween without Jaimie lee!'..

As an extra I dont have the hate for scream 3 most do. To me 2 is the worst...it's probably the best 65 minutes of the series to open the film and then they kill randy off for shock value and I lose intrest..

Edited by screambaby

Assuming 58mil, which is a great number, and guesstimating weekly drops in the 32-37% ish range for the rest of its run, Mario ends around 585 million.

Does it have enough gas to push to 600million? It would only need a couple mid-20% weekly drops in the next 2/3 weeks to get there. Not impossible at all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AGlitchGnome said:

It's interesting that people tend to gravitate towards newer movies. I'd throw in a couple classics like Gone with the Wind or Ben Hur

Ben Hur yes. Good shout. I'd say maybe Casablanca, Seven Samurai, 12 Angry Men and Singin' In the Rain are all fairly non-contested in terms of greatness as well.

Gone with the Wind has too many people who would claim it to be a bad movie I suspect. Obviously a landmark cinematic juggernaut that isn't even surpassable in some ways from a box office perspective. It's objective quality though is highly disputable and it benefitted enormously from a bit of a desperation to declare something to be "The Great American Story" leading to an extreme cultural insistence surrounding the embrace of its greatness at the time. Of course Mockingbird came along and put pay to "The Great American Story" claims, both in literature and on screen.

For what it's worth I think Titanic, Jurassic Park, Casablanca and Ben Hur would make a pretty good top 4 and one could make very strong cases for all of them.

(The Godfather will always be argued into the position as well but it's less universal than the others I'd argue. There is a reason its grading from men tended to be quite a lot higher than its grading from women)

Movies like Ben Hur and Gone With the Wind and Lawrence of Arabia I dont think are the best films made.

But they are most legendary Historical epics that inspired many films and very famous many decades later. 

Edited by Torontofan