Eric is Anxious

THE CREATOR | 09.29.2023

22 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

IMAX worthy?

Cinematography and VFX are good. Although more Dolby Cinema 2.39:1 worthy than IMAX maybe, because the movie is like The Hatefull Eight Ultrapanavision 70, Wide Wide. It will be letterboxed even on a ~2.39:1 screen but less letterboxed than IMAX.

Edited by Day and Date The Best

I wonder if this will be the least expensive movie 20CF/Disney releases this year.

The Marvels will obviously cost more, I can imagine Wish costing 100$m, the only budget I can't find right now on the numbers is Venice.

also; I liked it.

Edited by Morieris

14 hours ago, Morieris said:

I wonder if this will be the least expensive movie 20CF/Disney releases this year.

The Marvels will obviously cost more, I can imagine Wish costing 100$m, the only budget I can't find right now on the numbers is Venice.

Venice and The Bikeriders budgets are lower

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, Arlborn said:

While reviews will obviously always be subjective, it’s kinda wild that someone who describes themselves as a professional critic would give such a review to a movie. It does sound laughable 

I saw the movie and I get where they are coming from. This is probably not Edwards' intention, but there was something off about a movie all about protecting AI and framing it through a commentary of US interventionism when the industry this movie was made in is currently fighting against AI taking over stuff. And going into spoilers....

Spoiler

The way the film uses AI following religion also feels kind of awkward. The robots basically follow Buddhism and Hinduism and other Asiatic philosophies. And I suppose with a better script this could have led to something interesting, but it also just feels awkward and uncomfortable to see real-life religion appropriated by heartless machines in a positive light. Without any actual interesting commentary and insights.

I'm sure some will find this pearl-clutching, but it doesn't seem all that laughable to me, even if "propaganda" was probably not the right word.

This felt uneven. As everyone has said, it’s undeniably great on a technical level, but I don’t think the emotional beats worked especially well. I think I can also officially say that I agree with the notion that John David Washington isn’t an especially interesting leading man.

I don’t regret watching it or anything. It’s about what I would’ve expected. It’s not terrible. I just think it’s missing something. 

Spoiler

I comprehended it as the machines learning to be as human as they can, by living amongst the people and taking on their religious beliefs. Was it simplified to simply 'being free'? Yeah, but I did appreciate the robots not posturing on about how illogical it may be and instead integrating with it.

With a better actor, the stoicism and jokes would have worked better. I was interested in the world and concepts more than him.

Wow, I absolutely LOVED this. Can't remember the last time I was so enthralled by a sci fi movie.

Dear Hollywood, please can you let Gareth Edwards direct all action movies going forward.

The way he manages to convey the scale of things is jaw dropping. I loved this in Godzilla but there wasn't an emotional connection in that movie. Here it has the same amazing cinematic qualities but is also thought provoking, moving and emotional.

Defo in the top 5 films I've seen this year.

I think theres really something special about an original sci fi film when it can connect with you, that no other genre can do. I guess its to do with you being provoked to consider your own existence.

Shame that Fox gave up on this and didnt bother marketing it.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

Pretty disappointed by this. John David Washington is unfortunately not good here, and there is absolutely no nuance to be found, even as it deals with some very big (and potentially topical) themes. It definitely deserves a commendation for the visuals though, especially if the reported budget is correct.

This movie felt like it had 5 prologues.

Spoiler rant below:

Spoiler

First, we have the mid-20th century newsreel, which makes it look like it's setting it up to be placed in an alternate reality. Then we have the LA being nuked. Then we have the scene with John David Washington and Gemma Chan. And then we have 5 years later.

It just felt like a massive info dump, like watching the third movie of a trilogy with the first two movies being summarised in the first 10-15 minutes!

Spoiler

It also felt like there were massive chunks of the middle of the movie just missing or scenes that should have been way longer, shown almost like they were a montage. The scene where Washington finds the robot copies of Gemma Chan, for example, was less than a minute, and it felt so out of place because it's Washington and the kid shown on a random train. It really felt like it was part of a much longer sequence that was cut.

Spoiler

Also, the random Japanese translations of whenever there was English text onscreen (including the end credits) felt really out of place. And I honestly cringed at the naming of the unimaginative name of the country most of this movie takes place in - "The Republic Of New Asia". Like, seriously? You couldn't think of anything more original than that?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Avatree said:

Shame that Fox gave up on this and didnt bother marketing it.

I've not seen an ounce of promo for this, but apparently it was in areas I don't watch. If it wasn't for watching people's CinemaCon coverage, I wouldn't have known this was a thing.

Edited by Morieris

21 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I've not seen an ounce of promo for this, but apparently it was in areas I don't watch.

I literally wasn't aware that the movie existed until last week. I have not seen any marketing at all.

I'm not even big fan of the genre but i really liked this movie, a very solid sci -fi. I would like to see a trilogy now.

We were like 10 people at my show so i Guess It's not happening too. But anyways one of the good things about it is the movie really works as stand alone 😅

• Like 4

7 hours ago, shachi86 said:

This movie felt like it had 5 prologues.

Spoiler rant below:

Hide contents

First, we have the mid-20th century newsreel, which makes it look like it's setting it up to be placed in an alternate reality. Then we have the LA being nuked. Then we have the scene with John David Washington and Gemma Chan. And then we have 5 years later.

It just felt like a massive info dump, like watching the third movie of a trilogy with the first two movies being summarised in the first 10-15 minutes!

Hide contents

It also felt like there were massive chunks of the middle of the movie just missing or scenes that should have been way longer, shown almost like they were a montage. The scene where Washington finds the robot copies of Gemma Chan, for example, was less than a minute, and it felt so out of place because it's Washington and the kid shown on a random train. It really felt like it was part of a much longer sequence that was cut.

Hide contents

Also, the random Japanese translations of whenever there was English text onscreen (including the end credits) felt really out of place. And I honestly cringed at the naming of the unimaginative name of the country most of this movie takes place in - "The Republic Of New Asia". Like, seriously? You couldn't think of anything more original than that?

History shows when people went from York (England) to america they called the new city New York, not with some strange new name. We have The republic of Congo and when a new nation was made from a part of the old nation they called it The democratic republic of Congo. So seems realistic to me. People would tend to call something "the new .....(old name) " than using a new name from zero. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2