Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

I really hope it has decent legs. Despite that ending, the overall movie is geared to get fairly good WOM I think. The crowd in my screening wasn't huge, but was definitely young-skewing. I heard a lot of gripping about just how ridiculous it was, and how everyone just comes back now, but that was all followed up by "but it was fun as hell and Momoa was great". So, I dunno, we'll see I guess. The opening here (UK) was not brilliant, so legs will be key (just like everywhere else OS).

Fast X triples the OW of F9 here. Its the biggest opening since The Lion King in July 2019. NWH and The Way of Water found dead in a ditch.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 2

58 minutes ago, Flopped said:

67M for FX

If this is the actual number then that means FX didn't do as well in Canada as I thought it would on sunday.

The weather in the Toronto area and most of Ontario is absolutely gorgeous today. There will be fireworks celebrations, barbecues lots of get togethers but I still think it'll be a great day for movie going as well. Hopefully the Monday numbers are spiked by at least 5-7% because of our Canadian holiday.

• Like 1

I tried to go to the first showing of Guardians of the Galaxy today. Granted it's in a smaller size theater by it's basically sold out except for the first two rows. So I'm going to go see blackberry instead lol, might as well support Canadian content on a Canadian holiday.

• Like 4

FLOP

This topic couldn't even reach 20 pages with a new Fast movie opening, a franchise that has crossed a Billie.

Hopefully this upcoming weekend has more pages. I predict a lot of its woke arguments, Halle is a STAR, and Disney live action remake bashing to push it to at least 60 pages. Hopefully.

31 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hopefully it really stabilizes this upcoming holiday weekend and then had strong later legs from there.

I'm expecting a strong hold this week. For one, it should have double features with TLM plus MD weekend. Sub 30% drop wouldn't shock me for this upcoming weekend.

• Like 4

So for what it's worth I saw  BlackBerry today. First of all Jay baruchel is absolutely fantastic in it as is Glenn Howerton who plays Jim Balsille. I realize this is just one person's point of view and one side of the story but from everything I read about balsille back in the day, it all shows up in this movie. He was a tyrant he got greedy and he thought he was bigger than BlackBerry itself. This was all really well documented in the movie. I'm sure it's not something you guys are rushing out to see but if it comes to Netflix or some other streaming service, it's definitely worth checking out.

• Like 3