Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not a great domestic debut for Fast X, considering how rife Covid still was when F9 opened (cinemas here were still at 50% capacity). But a great international start. 

I thought the same. But the capacity restrictions were removed by the time F9 opened. It took some time and that is why it was the 1st big movie that summer. 

45 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Drops for GoTG 3 and Mario are both really good. 

I had a quick look, and it seems there were double features for Mario with Fast X. That would explain why it actually increased on Thursday while everything else dropped pretty hard from the screen loss. The hold this weekend is also softer than I would expect against an opener of this size, especially one that has a high Latino share of audience too.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I had a quick look, and it seems there were double features for Mario with Fast X. That would explain why it actually increased on Thursday while everything else dropped pretty hard from the screen loss. The hold this weekened is also softer than I would expect aaginst an opener of this size, especially one that has a high Latino share of audience too.

This makes a lot of sense

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I thought the same. But the capacity restrictions were removed by the time F9 opened. It took some time and that is why it was the 1st big movie that summer. 

I also think it benefitted from being early in the recovery period, with some people eager to get back to “normal” even if F9 was the (ahem) vehicle that allowed them to do so for a few hours, that more than cancelled out the pandemic hesitancy downward effect

Again, a 10x IM in mid-June for a franchise film really suggest there was inflated volume of causal - F*** it, why not? - attendance for OW (as does the very weak legs)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Hypnotic, Love Again, Book Club 2 and we’re only on weekend 3 of the summer season. 

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sorry for the confusion, I’m in the UK, checked F9’s opening weekend articles and we were definitely still at 50% capacity restrictions in all cinemas. 

The UK opening for Fast X isn’t good either.

Edited by Krissykins

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hypnotic, Love Again, Book Club 2 and we’re only on weekend 3 of the summer season. 

Sorry for the confusion, I’m in the UK, checked F9’s opening weekend articles and we were definitely still at 50% capacity restrictions in all cinemas. 

The UK opening for Fast X isn’t good either.

Domestic the issue is that the franchise is well past its peak. There are many markets overseas where it beat F9 and there are few where it even set franchise record !!!

Overall an acceptable enough opening for Fast X considering it seemed headed for as low as sub-$60M about a week ago. We'll see what the staying power is like. Speaking of staying power, Guardians had another good hold despite losing all IMAX/PLF formats and Mario is still holding great on its last weekend before direct competition starts to arrive. Not much depth in the marketplace otherwise but these movies are about to start dropping theaters like crazy with all the major titles arriving soon anyway.

• Like 6

At this point, Universal probably is well aware of the fact that Fast X is a money loser. Their goal should be losing less money than expected, since they hardly will get any profit.

Performing like F9 domestically, probably getting less than 200 million in China and given the fact that they only get 50% of domestic numbers, 25% of China and 40% of overseas grosses...Well, at least Mario will give so much money to Universal that they can write Fast X off. 

Budget is 340 million and who knows how much was spent for marketing / promotion ( I guess at least 100 million ). 

Evil Dead Rise has low key been one of the bigger success stories of the year so far. Easily WB's biggest movie of the first 5.5 months of 2023 and another streaming-to-theaters win (proving once again just how valuable theaters truly are for movies).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I was hoping for a smaller drop for Guardians this weekend but with it going up against its first competition I guess it's still decent.

Losing of all the PLFs to FX is what hit GotGV3 hardest... Still, managing a sub-50% drop is a good sign for sure... Even SMBM dropped from 40.8M to 18.5M (-55%) when it lost all the PLFs to GotGvV3 and that was in SMBM's 5th weekend not 3rd weekend. It's gonna be a thing all summer starting now with FX to TLM to Spider-Verse to Transformers to Flash/Elemental and so on.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5