Eric Prime

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

Just to add a bit of context, some of the review bombing of these sites come straight from alt-right websites.

They aren't randos posting negative reviews, they use pretty sophisticated stuff to hit these sites.

That's pretty pathetic. 

• Like 3

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

It didn’t. ₹95cr GROSS vs ₹99cr of F7

Oh, then 2nd highest grosser.

Still big, India will never turn its back on Family.

And judging by the reactions it got in my Theater, Fast 11 is sure shot highest grossing Fast movie in India.

• Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

That's pretty pathetic. 

On the + side, it just shows HOW important media is in shaping society, culture and behavioral norms and how success of certain media poses a threat to the way of life of racists, so maybe we aren't wasting time following movie box office 🤪

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

If the movie casted an Asian or Non-Spainard Looking Hispanic, Would the reaction be the same? 

Going by the reaction to Rose Tico in SW, I'd say yes but I think a more conventionally attractive Asian or Latina Ariel might have gotten a bit of a pass, even if the film would be ignored/boycotted by racists.

On the flip side, I don't think those communities would have strongly rallied behind those actresses as the black community has while coming out to support Halle, so the DOM BO might be lower.

Whatever happened to the Latino community energy that elevated Selena Quintanilla to demi-goddess status in the early 90s and why has it never occurred again for any Latine star since? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Well I'd have to look at Crystal skull again, but if I'm not mistaken that film did around 60% of its total from an international markets. Indy definitely has a strong international following.

I don’t remember well enough honestly, but it seems like 60% OS wasn’t uncommon for blockbusters by ‘08 already? I just think Indy has a very definite OS cap where it wouldn’t break out massive there, even if it were to DOM. Star Wars ish. And the fact that I can see the movie potentially bombing DOM I think is particularly concerning for OS. At any rate, I think they had more confidence in Mermaid and thus gave it the more appealing date. 

2 hours ago, joselowe said:

Something that's important to note is that a lot of the actresses who are dubbing Halle in those countries are awful. A lot of Halle's praise in the US involves her voice. The Asian and LATAM voice overs can't hold a candle to Halle, hearing those women I'd be mad too! Musicals are hard to translate in other countries

Disney did a fantastic job before matching voices from different countries for Frozen. Maybe they didn't really try for TLM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Lowest ratings are from Brazil and Mexico, but I'm sure it's all because of those white racists! 🤬

There’s something oddly funny seeing people find out Latinos are racist as hell. It’s like watching the kids find out Mark Wahlberg used to be a rapper. 

• Like 6