Eric is Quiet

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve no idea what the marketing budget was, we never really find out (officially). But the $100m for every blockbuster has been the number since like 2001. Social media makes it cheaper now and so much is offset by brand tie ins and promotional partners.

It’s pointless trying to guess.

$200-250m budget and $500m worldwide isn’t likely to lose any money in the end. 

They just did an $80M promo largest for a live action remake the marketing was a more than $100M.

19 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't know why we are having this argument. Streaming revenues will never compare to money gained from the theatrical window.  If that was so theatres would have been severely hampered by the streaming age we are in.

You can look at the gorgeous streaming numbers  but at the end of the day when deductions are made . theatrical  still puts  more money in studio hands.

There is nothing that gives exposure to a film than the theatrical experience.

Just look at Pixar now. They made a decision to put two feature length movies on Disney + and the box office is now paying the price.

I'm not arguing that streaming is better.

But two major revenue streams (including theatrical) has to be better than Netflix's single stream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudio said:

Fast X with $140M Dom, $680M WW

Mermaid $290-$310M , $520-550M WW

Transformers probably $45M OW and low $120M total, $320M WW

Flash $80M OW,  low 200M Dom and low $600M WW

Elemental $40M OW, 120 Dom, high $200M WW

If that happens, aren’t all of these movies losing money theatrically? 

I think you’re being generous with your Blue Beetle prediction, can it really do much better than Shazam 2?

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Succession isn't exactly Game of Thrones or Yellowstone in the ratings, it's just a fictionalized version of the Murdochs so media types write about it incessantly. Like, there were headlines trumpeting its "series high ratings" when an episode this season got 2.6 million viewers. 

2.6 million tv viewers in total or without taking into account (HBO) max?

the show I was watching and really enjoying last week (sarah connor chronicles) got canceled back in 09 because it "only" had an average of 5.4 million viewers back in 09; times change sure, but that much?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudio said:

Predictions for current blockbuster 

GotG 3 will end with $365M Dom, $850M WW

Fast X with $140M Dom, $680M WW

Mermaid $290-$310M , $520-550M WW

for rest of summer:

ATSV $120 OW, $320-340M total, low $700M WW

Transformers probably $45M OW and low $120M total, $320M WW

Flash $80M OW,  low 200M Dom and low $600M WW

Indi $100M OW, $250M Dom, $700M WW

Barbie $50M OW, $130M DOM, $430M WW

Oppenheimer $65M OW, $210M Dom, $550-580M WW

MI7 $110 OW, $300M Dom, $880-900M WW

The Meg $60M OW, $150-170 Dom, $640-660M WW

Blue Beetle $45M OW, $120 Dom, $300M WW

Elemental $40M OW, 120 Dom, high $200M WW

Haunted Mansion $50M OW, $120-140M DOM, low $300M WW

Insidious $25M OW, $55M Dom, 150M WW

gran Turismo $35M OW, 90M Dom, 200M WW

TMNT $40M OW, 100M Dom, $230-250M WW

DOM:

1. GotG 3

2. ATSV

3. Mermaid

4. Mi7

5. Indi

6. Flash

WW:

1. Mi7

2. Gotg3

3. ATSV

4. Indi

5. Fast X

6. Meg

Transformers is not doing under $360M if it does $120M DOM that's a very overseas heavy franchise. The Last Knight DOM/INT split would push it closer to $600M. 

1 hour ago, Day and Date The Best said:

No. Streaming help movies, there are people that do not go to cinemas until they watch the movie on PVOD first. GvK did great day and date, Blacl Widow made more money with D+ combined than shang Chi amd Eternals. And people on the internet (grain of salt) seemed to not like Black widow. 

There are people that don’t go to cinemas until they’ve seen the movie on PVOD? What? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Streaming destroyed the home media market which used to be able to turn flops into hits. Even Bob Iger all but admitted it 

Then why isn’t Bob reducing budgets and run times? Instead their budgeting everything to be a massive hit rather than balancing out the risk. 

Nice domestic, dissapointing worldwide numbers. I was expecting more from this to be honest and the review bombing is a shame because Halle is amazing in the role and her voice is beautiful.

Now I wonder how much time untill Disney first non-Avatar $1 billion grosser post-pandemic. Inside Out 2/Deadpool 3 in 2024? Toy Story 5/Zootopia 2/Frozen 3 whenever it comes out? Daisy Ridley Star Wars in 2025 or Mandoverse in 2026? Or it's gonna be a long wait untill The Kang Dinasty which isn't coming out in 2025 at this rate. 

2 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Then why isn’t Bob reducing budgets and run times? Instead their budgeting everything to be a massive hit rather than balancing out the risk. 

Disney is not exactly good at smart or reasonable budgeting.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Streaming destroyed the home media market which used to be able to turn flops into hits. Even Bob Iger all but admitted it 

Nothing beats physical media. Especially with streaming companies yanking content.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the show I was watching and really enjoying last week (sarah connor chronicles) got canceled back in 09 because it "only" had an average of 5.4 million viewers back in 09; times change sure, but that much?

SCC was network TV. Yes, TV overall is completely different but even then, network TV and premium cable were judged completely differently. 

7 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Disney is not exactly good at smart or reasonable budgeting.

Tbf my original post is not clear and makes it sound like I am disagreeing with the idea the original poster stated. Disney need to get realistic and actually budget. They have bloat in every one of their creative studios, needs heavily reigned in.

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I like the part in TLM where Ariel said "always bet on black" then shot Ursula in the forehead.

I can confirm this happens.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

So apparently the new "series high" was 2.7 million viewers (linear HBO and Max) but only on Sunday night. Even with a finale spike, probably not a huge deterrent to the box office, especially considering TLM's appeal. Overall, Succession S4 is averaging 8.4 million per episode across platforms but that takes delayed viewing into account. For comparison, The Last of Us finale got 8.2 million same-day viewers and was averaging 30.4 million viewers across platforms. Succession is like Mad Men in hugely appealing to coastal media types who write about TV and magnify the show's pop culture footprint far beyond its popularity.

And yeah, US broadcast ratings for primetime shows have utterly tanked since 2009, it's truly shocking to look at the numbers now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Succession is like Mad Men in hugely appealing to coastal media types who write about TV and magnify the show's pop culture footprint far beyond its popularity.

Yeah that's why Succession tends to be very twittery in its writing. Media people will be the last ones on twitter due to their crippling addictions to the site.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 1