Eric S'ennui

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

39 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

A.)  In The Lost World T Rex started to slip into coma due to overdose so the medical people gave him a drug to counteract the effects of tranquilizer, but it worked too well and T Rex woke up and started laying waste to the ship. So one brave person lured the T Rex in the cargo hold while someone else closed it.

Less of a dumb moment, more of a result of cutting floor.

B.) The Laser Gun was stupid, but it was not only the Gun, but all laser devices, as shown in Jurassic World 3, where they didn't use the guns, but just a small device.

C.) Isla Nublar volcano wasn't Active when John Hammond built the park, it was dormant and was right to never be active again, it was only after the events of Camp Cretaceous season 3 that the Volcano got active due to a great machine manufacturing and causing the major tectonic activities which awakened the long dormant volcano.

This one i understand because it requires outside watching to realize but atleast there's a reason, and makers realised this mistake and tried to rectify it.

D.) The people who were adults, who could think clearly did not press the button to release the Dinosaur, it was a small girl who clearly didn't know any better, emotional, scared and pretty much couldn't think much about future consequences who did that.

E.) Magic Cliff is not a dumb moment, it's a movie mistake.

F.) Indominus Escaping was just panic and people unable to think clearly, it's dumb in a way but it's realistic dumb, human history is filled with accidents which could've been averted if people had thought Clearly.

National Geographic has an entire  show about disasters in history and more than half are caused by human negligence.

F.) Clone part was retconed, but it can be easily explained by a simple fact, Elli Mills so was the bad guy simply lied to Owen and Clair about Maisi being a clone. 

G.) ALAN..... It was a dream sequence, it didn't happen, that was just Alan Grant having a nightmare.

I  Think to be honest despite a noble attempt at defense this post just affirms how ridiculous the Jurassic franchise is in terms of individual moments.

Editing mistakes and movie mistakes manifest as dumb moments. It doesn't matter if it was an editing mistake or what was intended - what Lost World shows is the TRex having come out, slaughtetered everyone and then electronically put itself back in the hold. 

I am entirely aware "Alan" is in a dream sequence. It's irrelevant. They chose to manifest a velocirapotor visibly say "Alan". 

The Indomitus escape isn't mere "human error" of the type that happens in human history. It implies that the dinosaur completely intuitively understands all human technology, that the humans have not paid any attention to the behaviour of the dinosaur, that the dinosaur is looked after by one single donut eating guy most of the time, that the humans will simply wander into the paddock and leave the gate open with no security failsafes. The sequence doesnt require the I-Rex to be "clever", it's omnisciently magical.

Sorry boss, the indomitus escape was realms behind "human error". It was a spectacularly dumb sequence. Just as it was in the second film when a random guy hazards a guess that the dangerous dinosaur is knocked out so wanders in. And they have an auction where individual dinosaurs sell for just a few million each. And the motivation of the villain is money, despite it being canonically established he has access to the bank account of the richest man into the world.

And all thsi doesnt even scratch the surface. Yeah, the Jurassic Franchise is fun and I like some of it. But boy it has more pound for pound nonsense than most mainstream franchises and certainly more than TLJ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiffy said:

TLJ backlash remains the dumbest pop culture reaction of the past 10 years, I'd say. Improved on TFA in practically every way.

Sure the review bombing and attacking those involved.

But TLJ has lots of reasonable criticisms.

It's just that you go and cherry pick the dumb ones .

TFA has a more coherent story than TLJ . TLJ only works better as a standalone film and even then I would still consider it mid but as a sequel it's  has significant flaws , it contradicts TFA, parts of the OT . Most characters are turned into plot devices to accommodate the story and all the promising plotlines from TFA are thrown out the window for " plot twist reasons.

Few Contrivances happen in stories here and there but TLJ is plagued with Contrivances right from the space chase,to cantonbite ,to the final act .The first order iq has to be reduced to nothing for the whole plot to progress.

To think half the plot didn't need to happen if admiral holdo just told people her goddamn plan but Rian Johnson had to get us to contabite for a heavy handed rushed political message which is more of tell than show and yeah we had to get benicio del Toro to betray the rebellion somehow so holdo plan fails . Having a mole would have been better and interesting than contriving all this scenes for this that scene. 

This is whole scene encompasses everything wrong with TLJ.

it's like Rian Johnson thought up plotlines listed them then contrived  the story and characters around them instead of building a coherent story around them . Little develops organically in this script .

Holdo manuover is your classic DEUS EX MACHINA.  It's a visually striking scene I agree but still it's not setup . That one move takes out most of the star destroyers which severely undermines all stakes and space battles . Some say it's a nitpick but it's not . Story puts characters In corner then just like that puts them out like that with barely any setup.

There is a lot more I can say but I will  live it there 

TLJ has great visuals ,some solid acting ,good action and a few good scenes sprinkled here and there but the script is sorely lacking and the last act is Rotj / ESB rehash but dumber and less setup.

• Like 4

When does the review embargo drop for Spider-Verse? If the reviews are as good as expected and it breaks out as big as expected, it could overshadow everything in June by a lot. I still expect big things from Flash but now maybe not as big of an OW DOM as I expected but better legs with that lower OW DOM getting it to 300M+. Spider-Verse almost feels like it could do 400M+ DOM if things break right for it. It's already easily going to completely overshadow Transformers. Probably will be #1 two weekends in a row.

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

That'd be under 3x. It's possible but I feel like this is the kind of movie to get a 3x. Nothing else really targeting its specific demographic for a while until Elemental at best.

It depends - Spiderverse obviously pulls some.  The Blackening might pull more.  And then Ruby opens at the end of June to be the "screen puller" since so many movies open in June.

Looking at who came out for Mermaid, it's not as open for smooth summer sailing as it looks.  Without a great hold the next 2 weekends, it could be looking at serious theater drops starting at the end of June.  That said, it will probably play the summer in the East and South, where it has been dominant.  But I'd expect the Midwest, Southwest, Middle, and Northwest to all be dropping it around Ruby, and definitely by Barbie...

7 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Woman King had pretty bad legs for an A+ cinemascore that opened under 20m. Hard to name any films that got A+ CS and less than 4x legs which opened under 20m.

Patriot's Day, but that's a weird one where the film just completely flopped. Looking it up, I see 2006's Ray made 20/75. 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What are the best OW DOM multiples in the MCU? Black Panther, Avengers Assemble, Iron Man and Guardians Vol. 1? I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I know all of the those had over a 3 though.

Spiderman: No Way Home is over 3x as well...as is Spiderman: Far From Home (when looking at 3 day weekend).

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What are the best OW DOM multiples in the MCU? Black Panther, Avengers Assemble, Iron Man and Guardians Vol. 1? I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I know all of the those had over a 3 though.

Gotg 3.53

BP 3.47

AM1 3.15

IM1 3.12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

It depends - Spiderverse obviously pulls some.  The Blackening might pull more.  And then Ruby opens at the end of June to be the "screen puller" since so many movies open in June.

Looking at who came out for Mermaid, it's not as open for smooth summer sailing as it looks.  Without a great hold the next 2 weekends, it could be looking at serious theater drops starting at the end of June.  That said, it will probably play the summer in the East and South, where it has been dominant.  But I'd expect the Midwest, Southwest, Middle, and Northwest to all be dropping it around Ruby, and definitely by Barbie...

That's a $20-25M grosser at best so essentially non-competition.

Any debate about TLM's domestic success is really just splitting hairs. Sure, most people wanted a $100 m 3-day and it fell short, But while it may not make over Aladdin's domestic, it isn't going to be all that drastically different. It will probably end up around $330 million which is pretty damn good.

As for the foreign, I don't think there's any way anyone could ever have predicted what is happening in Asia unless they had an absolute pulse on the mentality there. Let's also wait to see what happens with Japan.

When does it come out in Japan?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Any debate about TLM's domestic success is really just splitting hairs. Sure, most people wanted a $100 m 3-day and it fell short, But while it may not make over Aladdin's domestic, it isn't going to be all that drastically different. It will probably end up around $330 million which is pretty damn good.

As for the foreign, I don't think there's any way anyone could ever have predicted what is happening in Asia unless they had an absolute pulse on the mentality there. Let's also wait to see what happens with Japan.

Next week. But its not looking good there either. 

10 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Next week. But its not looking good there either. 

Then there's really something weird going on that would make an interesting investigation/study. I have theories, but don't want to make this a COVID/race relation thread. Been there done that.

As for domestic, TLM should pull in $40-$45 million in its second weekend. WOM is great (despite what the conspiracy theorists here are saying). Thereafter, it should drop on average of 35% per weekend (emphasize average-some more some less). The mid-weeks should be at or close to the weekends since it's summer. So we're still probably looking at around $320-$330 million domestic which would be about 90+% of Aladdin. Pretty damn good considering all the backlash.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Spider-Verse targeting the black demographic because Miles is black. There will be a fair deal of overlap.

Aladdin dropped over 53% against bomb KOTM that couldn't even open to 50m. With this one already showing signs of frontload, and weak day-to-day holds, and a 100m+ opener next weekend targeting the same demographic and taking every PLF, I think it will drop similarly to Black Panther 2, so a 60-63% drop.

Nah as an African American I can guarantee you this film isn’t going to attract black audiences. Spider-Man has never been big in the African American community and Miles Morales is looked at by young black kids as a Latino. Little Mermaid had tons of support for the African American community and the demographics proved it.

This is the demographics for the first Into The Spiderverse

As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67% non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie, with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 15% Asian. 

https://deadline.com/2018/12/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-mortal-engines-clint-eastwood-the-mule-weekend-box-office-1202520137/amp/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

As for domestic, TLM should pull in $40-$45 million in its second weekend

@charlie Jatinder expecting at $30s range

29 minutes ago, jedijake said:

June 9th

Since, distributor is Disney, so you should not have hope at all. Ever since, cinema re-opened, Disney hasn't been able to deliver a single hit.

• ...wtf 1

That's the thing with Across v. Into... I feel like a lot of families that didn't see Into in theaters but caught it later streaming are definitely gonna catch Across in theaters. Those demo breakdowns are making it even more like a movie that'll break out huge. Lots of room for growth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

@charlie Jatinder expecting at $30s range

June 9th

Since, distributor is Disney, so you should not have hope at all. Ever since, cinema re-opened, Disney hasn't been able to deliver a single hit.

I'm not going to touch that one. Better just leave that as "agree to disagree" and go from there.

And define "hit". (DS MOM, AvWOW, BPWF,GOGT3, Shang Chi, even the panned ThLaT were all hits).

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

ah we are doing star wars memorial this weekend. been a while since we did star wars memorial in a weekend thread.

there should really be star wars containment thread so people can rehash the same arguments and keep us who do not care about that franchise out of it