Eric the Minion

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gaga was heavily considered and passed over bc they knew she likely would have stolen the spotlight and buzz about the movie, and they (rightfully) wanted it to be on Halle. That and she prob would have wanted to do original music for it, and maybe they just wanted the classic soundtrack on its own. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rehpyc said:

Here I thought this was a thread regarding this weekend, but I must have accidentally clicked on the Godzilla one.. Go take it to your own thread. What is this, Reddit?

Off-topic discussions are a common part of weekend threads and are often encouraged so long as they don’t lead to flame wars or personal attacks. That hasn’t happened, so you might as well keep it going. We’ve already said more than enough about TLM and its performance at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So I just bought 3 tickets for TLM for 6pm showing in 3d. I did not even want 3d, the price for tickets in 3d even for children is outrageous. I spent 73 dollars on my tickets. I could not find hardly any showings that were not sold out here. I haven’t had this much trouble finding tickets since the avengers films which is crazy considering how low the box office for this is. I guess urban area is just coming out hard for the movie. I’m in Charlotte NC.

Lol. There has not been a single sold out show today at Charlotte's 22 screen AMC multiplex today. This is an obvious hoax.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

So I just bought 3 tickets for TLM for 6pm showing in 3d. I did not even want 3d, the price for tickets in 3d even for children is outrageous. I spent 73 dollars on my tickets. I could not find hardly any showings that were not sold out here. I haven’t had this much trouble finding tickets since the avengers films which is crazy considering how low the box office for this is. I guess urban area is just coming out hard for the movie. I’m in Charlotte NC.

East and Southeast are the very strong markets for the movie.  The rest of the country is not.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gaga was heavily considered and passed over bc they knew she likely would have stolen the spotlight and buzz about the movie, and they (rightfully) wanted it to be on Halle. That and she prob would have wanted to do original music for it, and maybe they just wanted the classic soundtrack on its own. 

The movie already has a $250 million budget. Bigger stars weren't considered because there isn't any money for it. Zendaya and Gaga aren't feasible. Nor would they have made a giant difference in the end result for a film aimed at young girls. 

Gaga mattered when she was copying Madonna over 10 years ago. Zendaya matters because of Euphoria. They don't exist to children. It's dubious that their audiences could be made to care about The Little Mermaid. 

• Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, G Doss said:

The movie already has a $250 million budget. Bigger stars weren't considered because there isn't any money for it. Zendaya and Gaga aren't feasible. Nor would they have made a giant difference in the end result for a film aimed at young girls. 

Gaga mattered when she was copying Madonna over 10 years ago. Zendaya matters because of Euphoria. They don't exist to children. It's dubious that their audiences could be made to care about The Little Mermaid. 

The point is that it would have expanded the audience beyond what the movie was already targeted for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, G Doss said:

Who said hiring Gaga and/or Zendaya was about appealing to little kids though? 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525obco1y2cgeuy6m6tl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

So was watching Aladdin, and say whatever about that movie or Disney Live Action Remakes in general, the scene where Aladdin as Prince Ali & Geenie first meet the Princes, King and others is so incredibly awkward and hilarious.

Peak Comedy.

And the ending, so good, emotional and heartfelt

You add some action bits in it, and some spectacle, and you realise why it got such good WOM. 

17 minutes ago, G Doss said:

Agreed on the budget situation, but the Gaga disrespect/undermining of her relevancy… bye 

For starters she’s massive with millennials (aka the biggest demo outside of kids for these live action remakes) and gen z just made one of her old album songs go viral on tiktok and become a chart hit. Soooo…. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Most consider Encanto the end of WDAS highly successful “Revival” era, correlating with Disney’s massive success on the whole between 2010-2020. And Strange World was a really really concerning start to the new one. 

Feels weird to say Encanto is the "end" of their highly successful era, and now they're in a trash era, considering WDAS has released exactly one movie since then

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Feels weird to say Encanto is the "end" of their highly successful era, and now they're in a trash era, considering WDAS has released exactly one movie since then

Historically speaking, that’s pretty much how it works with WDAS. The first movie to kind of end their quality streak tends to kick off a new and much less prolific era. 

More telling is the output of the company on the whole since 2021. Again, it’s not giving much confidence creatives are being allowed to do their thing, and WDAS needs that most of all. 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Nah we still got Flash, Barbie/Oppenheimer, Marvels and Aquaman threads this year.

Flash - i see you.

Barbie and Oppenheimer could be a great weekend though. Both movies will probably be massive (though Barbie i see much bigger).

The Marvels - yeah, could get ugly, but not worse than Quantumania i think and that weekend thread was tolerable id say?

Aquaman - why? Honest question, apart from the Amber Heard topic/replacement, is there anything else?

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Flash - i see you.

Barbie and Oppenheimer could be a great weekend though. Both movies will probably be massive (though Barbie i see much bigger).

The Marvels - yeah, could get ugly, but not worse than Quantumania i think and that weekend thread was tolerable id say?

Aquaman - why? Honest question, apart from the Amber Heard topic/replacement, is there anything else?

It’s a DC movie. When a DC movie comes out, the forum members all act like moronic children. Happens every time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1