charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (30 May 1 June, 2023) Thread.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is that a good number for TLM's first Tuesday following the Memorial Day Monday?

Slightly lower than Aladdin on the same day ($12 million). Slightly better in terms of percentage drop (-51.6% vs -52.5%)

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Slightly lower than Aladdin on the same day ($12 million). Slightly better in terms of percentage drop (-51.6% vs -52.5%)

It's surely gonna get whacked when it loses pretty much all of its PLF screens Thursday afternoon, but TLM does seem have to stabilized rather well on Monday and Tuesday. Not a terrible sign for legs. We'll see how it readjusts after the coming weekend. I do think it's squarely aimed at women and young girls so there's crossover with Spider-Verse and Transformers and Flash but not a ton of it. It might survive the coming onslaught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is that a good number for TLM's first Tuesday following the Memorial Day Monday?

At or less than 50% drop from Monday is great. It would actually be a smaller drop than Aladdin AND Maverick if it holds.

• Like 2

The only concerning day so far for TLM was Sunday where it dropped 9%+. Everything else was fine. We will have a better idea about legs with the 2nd weekend drop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

I thought TLM would drop more. Could this sign of good domestic legs ?

Too early to say especially because it's losing pretty much all the PLF screens it's on starting Thursday afternoon. I think it's a sign that many of the trolls that popped up and compared its DOM run to AM3 will disappear or, more likely, stick around but continue to move the goalposts. I'd say it's a sign that the legs will at least be decent enough to hopefully sniff or get to 300M+ DOM. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The only concerning day so far for TLM was Sunday where it dropped 9%+. Everything else was fine. We will have a better idea about legs with the 2nd weekend drop.

Given it's losing all PLFs, I'd say we'll have a better idea by the 3rd weekend because we'll know how well it stabilized by then...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Given it's losing all PLFs, I'd say we'll have a better idea by the 3rd weekend because we'll know how well it stabilized by then...

Agree with this. Am expecting a big second week drop, not only losing PLFs & Spidey competition, but because OW was somewhat inflated by a fan surge, and it will take the week 2–>3 drop to really see how GA friendly it will play in rest of the run 

Edited by M37
  • Like 4

Fantastic hold for Little Mermaid. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Agree with this. Am expecting a big second week drop, not only losing PLFs & Spidey competition, but because OW was somewhat inflated by a fan surge, and it will take the week 2–>3 drop to really see how GA friendly it will play in rest of the run 

Forgive me if I’m being stupid, but could the low PLF turn out opening weekend not help lessen the blow of losing them? 

from Deadline:

“Combined, PLFs and Imax rep 26% of the current ongoing weekend’s gross, with 3D delivering 14%.”

Or maybe 26% isn’t that low. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Forgive me if I’m being stupid, but could the low PLF turn out opening weekend not help lessen the blow of losing them? 

from Deadline:

“Combined, PLFs and Imax rep 26% of the current ongoing weekend’s gross, with 3D delivering 14%.”

It's a bit on the lower side, so not going to hurt as much as say Fast X losing them to LM did, maybe only an adding ~5% to drop instead of ~10%, but still an impact.

The bigger issue to me is the disparity between some metros doing well and the broader numbers being much weaker. Because the former almost always falls off faster: it was more like an $80M OW with a lot of extra fan bump on top, plus bigger Thursday and holiday Sunday, so the second weekend drop is likely to look really bad. I'll be surprised if it holds better than -60%, but from that value could stabilize in week 3

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

from Deadline:

I didn't realize this... Interesting. It'll absolutely be a big hit to it but not quite as bad as it was for Guardians and Fast earlier this month... At least, with those numbers.

41 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We'll likely see a bigger drop than Aladdin in the 2nd weekend. Probably guaranteed. And then everyone will spell doom and gloom. But ACTSV, so you know. I suspect the stabilization and real tell-tale signs come in the third weekend. Let's face it, nobody cares about Transformers, Elemental is not going to do that great unfortunately, and IndyDOD may be DOA. TLM will be the go-to family film for quite a while.

Family movies almost always make over a 3.2X in the summer. The only exception I found in the past 10 years was Minions which had a 2.90X, but still made $336 million domestic. Even if Elementals opens with $40 million, a huge multiplier won't be much of a threat to TLM. The BIG question is to what extent ACTSV will attract families.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 2