charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (30 May 1 June, 2023) Thread.

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

DND also had unanimous acclaim but that had poor legs. Some properties are inherently frontloaded, which means good WOM can only do so much.

You can not be serious right now. D&D as a property (Which also had a piss poor OW) is NOT a giant Disney family-oriented film that had a 95 million 3-day and a 117 4-day. Come on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

When is the last time a 300 million domestic grosser made less over seas or like much less. 

48 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

For films specifically in the $300 million range, the last one was probably American Sniper. $350 million DOM and $197 million OS.

And for the genre, that was a strong OS haul. Similar movies like Lone Survivor, the Michael Bay Benghazi one and that other one that was basically Call of Duty, they probably skewed at least 75-80 percent domestic. While also making way less money overall than American Sniper...

It's nearly 3 PM and no number from Disney, but we're so spoiled compared to the old days.

Okay, I'm kind of new to the movie circle, and I was curious how people collect movies or how I could get into that.

I hear bluray and 4k discs are how some people do it, and then some go even further with Steelbooks. I'm not really sure what makes those special outside of a cool design and metal case, and do those even have 4k discs in them? I also hear people like rip their discs into a hard drive or go to thrift stores and libraries to find cheap discs.

Hopefully my question makes sense. Thanks in advance to any who have answers.

1 minute ago, Austin said:

Okay, I'm kind of new to the movie circle, and I was curious how people collect movies or how I could get into that.

I hear bluray and 4k discs are how some people do it, and then some go even further with Steelbooks. I'm not really sure what makes those special outside of a cool design and metal case, and do those even have 4k discs in them? I also hear people like rip their discs into a hard drive or go to thrift stores and libraries to find cheap discs.

I personally prefer physical media but it really depends on what you like. Physical's the easiest though, and I'd say start with what's cheapest. Buy your favorites first and then go from there. Also Steelbooks will have either Blu-Rays or 4ks in them (And sometimes both), they'll say what version they're coming with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, jking123 said:

whats it looking like for the potential gross for Spiderverse? Its insane its budget is apparently quite a bit lower than Elemental.

Anywhere between 25 million and 600 million.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Austin said:

As someone who has (as of today) 415 movies - most of them Blu-Rays - in a collection, i can safely say that the economic aspect plays a big role. For clarification, i only refer to physical media collections with this. If you want to have a smaller collection of films, Steelbooks and 4K Blu-Rays can be very nice, but apaprt from the design, they dont offer that much more than a normal Blu-Ray - and on top of that, you need a proper player / sound system to use 4K in its fully glory, which is a luxury that many people probably cant really affort.

Thats why i chose to collect normal Blu-Rays mainly (though some older films only exist in DVD format, so theres that). Its much more economically sensible and speaking just for me, a full Blu-Ray shelf looks as nice as one with steelbooks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It was a joke one upping on Baumer's ridiculous range 🙂

But...umm...it's not impossible:)...We do have 2 months of summer weekdays coming for a wildly good movie with Spider-people in it:)...

Spidey is well loved right now, in all the character forms...

I'm just sayin...if there was a club, it wouldn't be the most wild one on the boards, even if I wouldn't QUITE be in...yet...

Although speaking of clubs, I think the one for Spidey winning summer is still open for the late bandwagon jumpers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

As someone who has (as of today) 415 movies - most of them Blu-Rays - in a collection, i can safely say that the economic aspect plays a big role. For clarification, i only refer to physical media collections with this. If you want to have a smaller collection of films, Steelbooks and 4K Blu-Rays can be very nice, but apaprt from the design, they dont offer that much more than a normal Blu-Ray - and on top of that, you need a proper player / sound system to use 4K in its fully glory, which is a luxury that many people probably cant really affort.

Thats why i chose to collect normal Blu-Rays mainly (though some older films only exist in DVD format, so theres that). Its much more economically sensible and speaking just for me, a full Blu-Ray shelf looks as nice as one with steelbooks.

I have an XSX and a 4k monitor and 4k TV so I can watch them that at that quality, but I've done some research recently and some people say the 4k dvds aren't even worth for some movies it because of shitty transfers. I think I will get 4k/steelbook cases for my most favorite movies I know I will rewatch.

I've also heard that 4k tends to be better for older movies that were shot on film and not digital because there isn't so much data compressing and upscaling going on. Is there a way to research if specific movies are worth the 4k or just stick to the bluray HD, like a review site or sum?

Edited by Austin