kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

5 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel barely got any money from that deal.

And what's wrong with putting an expiration date on the contract? 20 years is not long enough to get at least one studio to agree?

It was very telling of Marvel's situation in the 90s that Sony was only interested in Spidey and said to keep the rest.

Not really an ideal scenario for Marvel to be putting any kind of clauses if only ONE character was viewed as profitable by a major studio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Disney should just give Sony $5B & get it back.

5b is too much imo but Sony will not let it go for that much seeing that Spiderman (and villains) movies are pretty much all they have going for them atm. 

Disney also wouldnt pay that much, at least for now, considering the billions in write offs they have had to endure recently for streaming. 

Besides merchandise is where the real money is and Disney holds the rights for that. 

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

I hope that never happens. Disney would never have done a Spider-Verse or a Raimi trilogy.

They would never have done a Venom, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, or Morbius either so.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

You can't plan for 20 years in the future if you don't even know if you'll make it through the next one

Could they have gotten some studio to agree to a deal with an expiration date? Sure, but probably not with the same money and conditions attached to the one they got

Beggars can't be choosers

After Blade and X-men studios were open to the idea of a Spider-man movie. Marvel was also safe from bankruptcy before the Spider-man deal.

The infinite movie rights contract was a mistake.

Just now, grey ghost said:

After Blade and X-men studios were open to the idea of a Spider-man movie. Marvel was also safe from bankruptcy before the Spider-man deal.

The infinite movie rights contract was a mistake.

....No? I don't know how you're so misinformed but Columbia had the rights to Spider-Man waaaaaaaay before that. It was in active development in the 90s, that's when James Cameron's Spider-Man movie with Leo DiCaprio as Peter didn't get off the ground.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

They would never have done a Venom, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, or Morbius either so.........

I mean, Venom: Let There Be Carnage is probably not much worse than any of the MCU Spider-Man films except No Way Home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

....No? I don't know how you're so misinformed but Columbia had the rights to Spider-Man waaaaaaaay before that. It was in active development in the 90s, that's when James Cameron's Spider-Man movie with Leo DiCaprio as Peter didn't get off the ground.

Sony bought the rights to Spider-Man in 1999. The earlier efforts involving James Cameron weren't Sony-related.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Sony bought the rights to Spider-Man in 1999. The earlier efforts involving James Cameron weren't Sony-related.

They were done by Columbia who Sony acquired. They were literally talked about in the same meetings as Godzilla 1998.

EDIT: Misremembered, it wasn't Columbia it was Tristar-

Edited by Mulder

6 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Pretty much how I am feeling since yesterday. I need to love this film to have some revival of interest.

What did you think of Indian Spider-Man? I loved him